Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have 636 miles on the bike, and was planning to get my 600mi. service tomorrow. I just filled up with gas and about 5 minutes from home I noticed these warnings on the dash. I pulled over and stopped, put the bike upright, and checked the oil. It was 3/4 up the sight glass hot, so I am sure there is plenty of oil in the crankcase.
I checked the owners manual and it doesn't say anything about this warning being a notice at 600 miles to get the oil changed. It does say "DON'T DRIVE THE BIKE" if the red oil light stays on. Please tell me this a smart bike and it is just telling me to get my service. I will call the dealer tomorrow morning before I drive it down there.
Or they will come pick it up again!! I am hoping to hear from somebody on the forum tonight, one way or another..................please, with good news?
TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I cross posted on the Diavel-forum and got the answer, YES, it is just a warning for service required.
For Christ's sake, how about a simple mention in the owners manual? Would have saved a bunch of laundry. However, the owners manual is pretty suspect anyway. It clearly says to engage the steering lock, turn off the bike and hold the starter button down. ​Not on my bike! Have to hold the on/off button-down to get the steering to lock.
Ducati, quite the adventure. I am definitely bonding with the bike after 600 mi. It is exactly what I was looking for, a visceral, guttural, fast, foot forward sport bike. This bike fills it in spades.

·
Hammer Down
2020 Multistrada 1260 S Touring
1,823 Posts
Every post of yours I read, I feel like I’m rooting for the underdog. Hopefully your dealer will get the key issue fixed and it’ll be years of blissful tire replacements. Glad to know this is just the service reminder!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that comment! Surprisingly I think I need to switch gears here. I am not typically the "victim" and l pretty much knew that the reputation for Ducati was earned. My personal opinion is that whatever the idiosyncrasies of the brand were, most Ducati owners suffered the consequences and absolutely loved their Ducatis. I wanted to find out why.

After only 600 miles, I am beginning to understand why. I have been riding for about 46 years and have been a motorhead for ever. This XDiavel is about motor, brakes, handling, and style. It is hugely different than everything else I have ever ridden. I come from a sport touring and ADV bike background, more of a do it all type of bike. This XDiavel is way more focused, fast, aggressive, and exciting. I can't imagine just cruising/loafing along, too many vibes at low rpms. There is no luggage capacity for touring, and a very small pillion seat for sharing.

I am actually OK (so far) with the few initial problems I have been having. After some research I think many
Diavel owners have experienced key fob malfunctions and just work around them. Apparently it's well known that the fobs don't work well at gas stations or where automatic doors are used in buildings. RF interference.
I can live with that. I am also acutely aware that YouTube and forums only highlight the negatives, rarely the positives. On the other hand the forums have also been a wealth of information not readily available to new owners. (Like the service indicator lighting up the "DON"T DRIVE THE BIKE" warning lights! I cannot find this anywhere in the owners manual.

After my first service today and rear spring swap tomorrow I am looking forward to miles of smiles.
BTW, I thought I wanted the black, really sinister looking, but am now really liking the white, showing off the sexy Italian bodywork and highlighting the black engine in contrast.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hepco & Becker makes a really nice set of bags for the XDiavel, and they're only about $500. I'll see if I can post up a picture of them for you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hepco & Becker makes a really nice set of bags for the XDiavel, and they're only about $500. I'll see if I can post up a picture of them for you.
I have seen them already, thanks. I won't be needing bags for the XDS, I have a big Indian Roadmaster for two up touring....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts