Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Is the ST3 s collectible?

4K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Labrador-Lance 
#1 ·
Musing with my friends, the question of ST3s 's production numbers and 3valve configuration came up generating the questions:

is the st3s more rare than other Duc's like the 900ss/fe or even the seideci?
doesn't this bike epitomize the zenith of Ducati sport touring machines?
would a "0" mile bike (or even a very low one) be collectible?

Your opinons respectfully requested

Retired somewhere in Ohio

Bruce Robinson

#2 ·
*** ALL JUST MY .02 ***

I've owned a ST (4s) and ridden the 3... While I like them, I'm not sure ANY Ducati ST is collectible... Most non-Ducatisti don't even know any details of the ST series...

While the ST3 did have a unique engine, it's one that went nowhere. It didn't evolve into anything substantial - it was more or less abandoned...

Unfortunately, in order for a bike to reach "collectible" status, it must be an icon of the sport or industry or really exotic. Not taking anything away from the ST, but it's none of those. Classic 70's GT and SS models aside, the modern Ducati collectibles consist of Superbikes, the non-Terblanche 900SS, and maybe the original Monster (although a lot of the exist).

Wouldn't stop me from owning another one though :)

#3 ·
+1 The only collectable would be the 1st gen ST4s in my opinion. Only if it were maintained in OEM condition for 30yrs. Then someone would have to stumble upon it's uniqueness.

Sadly, with the advent of true collectibles, ie baseball cards, carnival glass, tiffany, etc., everthing in our day and age has been labeled a collectible. Is a PlayStation1 collectible? How about a last gen Pontiac GTO? As mentioned about, I fear that only a couple Ducs will be collectable down the road. We have no idea which those will be. An ST of any sort would be low on the list, IMHO, no matter how much I love mine.

Have a good one.

#4 ·
my 2 cents.
Whenever people tell me they want a collectible, what they really mean is they want an investment. Is a Duc an investment? To me, emotionally is one of the best investments. Financially, probably one of the worst investments of my life. The depreciation on my 999 has been awful.
I think those who collect things, for the most part, they collect things because they love the item. Having said, if you love your bike I think you should keep it, maintain it, and enjoy it.

#6 ·
Collectable? Sure, why not? Any bike is collectable. Will it apperciate in price? Hmm, well certainly it is not an "invetsment" as mentioned above, but it may hold good/decent resale compared to some other Ducatis/bikes, especially the older it gets. I think the question is, "Is it a desirable Ducati to own?" The answer IMO is a resounding "Yes."

At the end of the day, I think the bike will have a good reputation for reliability. And I do agree, the desmotre does have some "mystic" in that is is a limited production engine in terms of both, years available, and bikes in which it was used. Want a three valve Ducati? ST3 is the only way to go; if that matters to anyone that is. :) Some less than special bikes have a world wide "following" long after they've been out of production, FJ11/12 comes to mind. I don't know that the ST3 will. Time will tell. Not to say there already isn't a considerable "following" of Ducati ST bikes world wide. It's only been three model years since they were dropped, and that Stada Aperta sure as hell is no replacement for a Ducati ST.

Of the Ducati ST bikes, the 2005 ST4s is the zenith IMO, and the most "collectible." But they're all nice, right? :)

#7 · (Edited)
Jury's still out

Interesting question! From a "big picture" perspective, generally, it seems to me, two things are needed to make something collectible:

1. It's gotta be a good example of whatever it is. It's got to have inherent value and worth. And ...
2. It's got to be scarce. The value'll never get up high if there's a zillion of 'em.

But there's another situation that the above don't quite cover. What if -- even if the item wasn't the greatest ever -- nothing comes along afterward that's as good or better?? The TR6, for example, wasn't all that great a sports car. But who knew that we'd never see anything even remotely close to it until the Miata?? Nobody! And by then, everything (safety standards, regulations, fuel requirements) had changed. So the TR6 is enormously collectible, mostly because it wound-up being the last of its kind ... essentially by chance.

I cite this because we've potentially got all three situations with the ST3. First, it's a superb sport-tourer without a doubt. (So we've got that goin' for us ... which is nice.) Second, production numbers were relatively low. Plus, although nobody could have predicted it, we're looking at the same kind of intangible described in the paragraph immediately above: nobody's made anything better yet.

The fly in the ointment, as I see it, is the sport-touring class itself. It's a compromise category. And people don't tend to get wistful and misty-eyed over compromise categories of anything.

I bought mine used and, based on the eBay prices I see, have never lost a dime of value. So I'll keep it and keep riding it as long as it'll have me. What'll it be worth to somebody else someday?? I'm sure I can't say.

But I'll keep it parked in the garage, sharing a bay with my '97 air-cooled 993 cab 6sp (w/ 15,000 mi), just the same!

Best wishes to all of us!

#8 ·
As to if the ST series of bike is collectable, I don'i know. However there is currently a thread on the vintage board as to which model is better to restore a Bronco or a Monza Jr. When new neither of these bikes made my I want list. I find that all old Ducatis are collectable by someone. Until then I'm just going to ride mine.:)

#9 ·
Hello
In my opinion, the ST3(S) was built down to a maintenance level, while the ST4S was built up to a performance level. I'll take the multi-WSB title-winning 996 Desmoquattro motor in a heartbeat.
Different design parameters, but I would go for the performance if I were looking for "collectability". Which I'm not.

#12 ·
Collectable ST3

Some one can come and collect my ST3!

I'm thinking about trading her in on a Fat Oriental. Maybe that's what a true collectable is: something that nobody wanted when it was available (like the Edsel) that appreciates in value to a ridiculous level.

Keep you eyes on the Classified section boys. A true collectable will be available shortly (soon as I get my 25 posts in)!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.