Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rented a 2012 Multistrada recently and at the end of my day I got a flat rear tire. It was more of a slice with no evidence of what caused it.

There seem to be quite a few reports on another website of similar cases. Some single owners have had multiple problems. Have you guys found them to be more unreliable than most tires?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Nope- I uh, see NO PROBLEM whatsoever with that tire picture- Roll on!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Never had an issue with mine although I wont be replacing them with more because of the limited mileage I got out of them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My rear picked up a piece of wood that pierced the center tread almost perfectly at 3600 miles. Yes.. the tire was 80% done but the layer of rubber that was penetrated seemed very thin. I replaced with Bridgestone BT-23's and so far at 3000 miles on those I am happy. Not sure I would go back to the Scorps unless I was going to do more off road...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I think they are more prone to punctures. They are a very light, thin carcass tyre and this makes them perform very well and wear well for the level of grip (although many will disagree with me). I like them a lot. Having a thin, light flexible carcass cannot help but make them a little easier to puncture. It is the price you pay. Having said that, I have 34,000km on 3rd set of tyres and I have had 1 puncture. Luck and where you ride has a lot to do with it.

I carry tyre repair kits and an electric pump at all times.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Four out of four rear tyres punctured. One front tyre burst, no apparenr reason... very lucky I was in a good place and postion when that happened.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hey witto,
You been motorcrossing it round the dump again?
:p
That is odd or very unlucky. What pressures do you run?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I found the Scorpions to be the most pathetically fragile tires I’ve had on a bike in the last twenty years. I had both (including a brand new rear) punctured on a gravel road run on which the five guys I was with (all on street tires such as PR’s, BT-023’s, etc.) made it through just fine. No metal or other foreign stuff in the tire. It just couldn’t take the sharp, nasty rocks we have here in Arizona.

In what may be a related matter, my Ford Expedition came with Pirelli Scorpions as OEM. Every one of them failed within 20,000 miles; running identical mission profiles to what I have been for decades. That’s four more tire failures than I’ve had on my trucks in the last fifteen years combined.

I’ve been forced to the conclusion that “Scorpion” is internal Pirelli nomenclature for “belts made out of paper masche and rubber from reconstituted condums”.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey witto,
You been motorcrossing it round the dump again?
:p
That is odd or very unlucky. What pressures do you run?
haha yeah... 3 out of 4 were in gravel.
I guess the 2nd one I got was just plain unlucky... picked up a small nail.
the 1st one was the 1st w/end of ownership. A small sharp stone embedded deep in the groove of the tread. ie the thinnest part.

3rd and 4th Ill blame me for. Both off road. Both well loaded. Both with tyres fairly worn and in hindsight, low pressures.

there are a couple of treads on the front tyre issue floating about. Seems there may have been a few incidents of this back in 2010 .... I havnt seen this come to light on this forum so I guess is its not common and as an issue, hopefully long gone...

Just got a new rear fitted the other day. Another 'scorp.
Off to the brick pits now ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
For me it was a noticable lack of longevity. I usually find a rear craps out much earlier than a front. On these tyres the front just died on one ride. Litterally it looked great before my usual Sunday 150 k jaunt and when I came back the right side of the front had just died. Only had 5800 kms on them, thats about 3500 miles. Gone back to Z8's that I had on my old MTS 1100-they are great and looking good after 5000kms-guess about 50% gone

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here, I punctured rear on a Moto Guzzi Stelvio on a gravel road in north ga, then switched to pilot roads. Different road in north ga, I punctured to rear on my multi, it had about 1200 miles on it, again switched to pilot road 2's and have about 7,000 miles on them. They seem to be almost as capable as the pirelli's.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Tonymorr,
I would also add that these tyres are very sensitive to pressure due to their thin walls. It seems from anecdotal evidence many riders stick with the "usual pressure" instead of running them at or near 40PSI.

I find these tyres have really good wear and I think that even a few PSI low can cause poor performance and rapid tyre wear, especially fronts.

Ducati say Front and Rear:
2.50 bar (rider only) - 2.9 bar (with passenger and/or bags)
That is
36.5 PSI (rider only) - 42 PSI (with passenger and/or bags).
These must be tested and adjusted cold.

I use 39PSI front and 40PSI rear measured with a Cruztool digital or a Metzler high quality pressure gauge. I check them about every 2 weeks and they need a top up about once a month by a few PSI.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Went in for my 600 mile service and picked up not one, but two nails on the way. The upside the bike made it to the shop. I have 4800 miles on the replacement rear, looks like it will make it through Winter. I don't know if you can fault the tire for nail damage and at this point I'll probably buy another, unless Metzler comes out with something attractive.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Same here, I punctured rear on a Moto Guzzi Stelvio on a gravel road in north ga, then switched to pilot roads. Different road in north ga, I punctured to rear on my multi, it had about 1200 miles on it, again switched to pilot road 2's and have about 7,000 miles on them. They seem to be almost as capable as the pirelli's.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I've run PR's on my ZX14 and they were honestly great tires. I could tour on them, commute on them and even get my knee down with luggage on the bike and they were rock solid. Pretty impressive on a touring tire.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Stone punctured one of my Pirellis in my driveway. Good Multi road tires but no-go for rocky roads IMO.

PR3's waiting for the beginning of the next tour.

Scorpion won the egg survival test when throne from a local Church roof tho......

In God I Trust~!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
NO punctures, but terrible wear. I wouldve been at 3,000 tops on the rear. Replaced at 2800 with PR3's.

I also didnt run the high pressures some on here recommend. I went off the frame sticker (34.9/37.8) or close to that.

I noticed the front had a lot of wear on the left side at the same mileage.

I dont offroad so i went with PR3's, as i had on my ST3.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
i feel really lucky. I have had no issues with my scorpions. Im at 6400 miles and im not quite to the wear bars yet(close but not there) and no punctures. Riding season here is almost done and im thinking about getting another set come spring as im overall pretty happy with the scorpions.

·
Super Moderator
6,134 Posts
i feel really lucky. I have had no issues with my scorpions. Im at 6400 miles and im not quite to the wear bars yet(close but not there) and no punctures. Riding season here is almost done and im thinking about getting another set come spring as im overall pretty happy with the scorpions.
Same here, knock on rubber no problems so far, got over 8K on the first set and now at 14K on the second set, front is just starting to "vee" but looks like plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Same here, knock on rubber no problems so far, got over 8K on the first set and now at 14K on the second set, front is just starting to "vee" but looks like plenty of tread left.
Do yall have roads made of glas up there in MA?

Or are y'all just super easy on the throttle?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts