Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK I know there is no such thing as the PERFECT bike and I am going to get slammed for that title.

My question here is:
Is the 848 the ideal combination of the best of the 749 and best of the 999 rolled into one? Or is the worst of both bikes.

If yes them I am selling all my bikes and buying one. Here are my thoughts:

My son just bought a 03 749 and I bought a 05 999. I haven't ridden these a lot but enough to compare them. We have other Ducati's and Aprilia's so were not new to this.

The 749 is a delight to flick around and really shines in the tight twisties (below 70mph). It has enough power to do anything you need it to do but you will be up in the revs to stay in the power band. It's a 750.

The 999 has some grunt and also revs pretty high. The power difference over the 749 is very noticeable especially down in the mid range. It is a bit more work in the slower speed twisties then the 749 but you don't work the engine as hard. In the high speed stuff (above 70mph) it really comes alive and is wonderful.

Both of these bikes are great and each have their own pros and cons. If you need the liter grunt get the 999 but if you want the nimbleness in the tight turns then get the 749. Get 05 or later as they are lighter, have the deep sump and the HP is up a lot.

On a final note I have come to the conclusion what the ideal bike is, a 749 with the torque and HP of the 999. That is what I want and I think it is a late model 05 or 06 749R. Now that's got to be FUN!

Or could that be a 848?

If you have experience with these bikes please post your thoughts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Come on...I am looking for some real feedback here.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
I tried an 848 for a couple of hours, to see how it compared to my SS and 999.

Result, really heavy compared to the SS (OK, mine has lost 45 lbs), and lacking in power to the 999 (OK, mine's an R, not a base).

So, not light enough to replace the SS, and not powerful/torquey enough to replace the 999.

Tom

·
Registered
88 Posts
So why not an 1198, or sounds like money is not too much of a problem get the 1098R!!! I love my 1198 loads of power and plenty nimble enough...1198 it is :) there is only 3KG difference between the 848 and the 1198, some carbon bolts ons and there's your weight saving!!! I also rode the 848 before buying the 1198 and its true I felt the difference in the handling the 848 does feel a lot lighter in the twisties??? first Duc for me only rode a 916 when they first came out but jap bikes before...I love my 1198...Colin.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So why not an 1198, or sounds like money is not too much of a problem get the 1098R!!! I love my 1198 loads of power and plenty nimble enough...1198 it is :) there is only 3KG difference between the 848 and the 1198, some carbon bolts ons and there's your weight saving!!! I also rode the 848 before buying the 1198 and its true I felt the difference in the handling the 848 does feel a lot lighter in the twisties??? first Duc for me only rode a 916 when they first came out but jap bikes before...I love my 1198...Colin.
1198 just because it looks SO good...hehe...can't give an honest opinion since I am not an experienced rider...

Attachments

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The 848/1098/1198 are the same chassis, the biggest difference between the 848/1098/1198 is the motor and even that, is minor besides the bore changes and the 1098R, which is totally different. IDK how an 1198 looks any different then an 848...

The whole series of bikes are very good, in my opinion, the best superbikes Ducati has made. I don't think they're by any means perfect. The 1098R is pretty dam good, but even it's nowhere near perfect. They require a lot of work to set up properly if your a track rider or a street rider. The 848 is just like the rest of them, makes a great base to work from and suites people who don't know what its like to ride a bike with a decent setup.

Having put over 12k miles on my 848 in the last year, I can say its not a comfortable bike to ride around town on. I'd much rather have something more upright and less ball-cracking. The 749/999 had a much more flat seat, which enabled it to be more comfortable. The 848 motor is pretty good, but needs tuning and an exhaust to really get anything out of it besides a putter. The brakes are decent, the suspension is pretty poor... I mean over all, its a no-frills 1098R; Smaller motor, not as good brakes and suspension, heavier wheels and of course a smaller motor.

Mind you, its not a BAD bike what so ever. Heck, I've thought about trading it in several times, but it sticks around. I love its looks, I feel great riding it and its pretty quick. I say; "Mama don't take my 848 away" and in reality I mean it. It goes to show, it might not be the best bike around, but even my picky ass, will still ride it! ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
956 Posts
The 848/1098/1198 are the same chassis, electronics (besides the minor dash change) and geometry (except for the ride height adjuster). The biggest difference between the 848/1098/1198 is the motor and even that, is minor besides the bore changes and the 1098R, which is totally different. IDK how an 1198 looks any different then an 848...

The whole series of bikes are very good, in my opinion, the best superbikes Ducati has made. I don't think they're by any means perfect. The 1098R is pretty dam good, but even it's nowhere near perfect. They require a lot of work to set up properly if your a track rider or a street rider. The 848 is just like the rest of them, makes a great base to work from and suites people who don't know what its like to ride a bike with a decent setup.

Having put over 12k miles on my 848 in the last year, I can say its not a comfortable bike to ride around town on. I'd much rather have something more upright and less ball-cracking. The 749/999 had a much more flat seat, which enabled it to be more comfortable. The 848 motor is pretty good, but needs tuning and an exhaust to really get anything out of it besides a putter. The brakes are decent, the suspension is pretty poor... I mean over all, its a no-frills 1098R; Smaller motor, not as good brakes and suspension, heavier wheels and of course a smaller motor.

Mind you, its not a BAD bike what so ever. Heck, I've thought about trading it in several times, but it sticks around. I love its looks, I feel great riding it and its pretty quick. I say; "Mama don't take my 848 away" and in reality I mean it. It goes to show, it might not be the best bike around, but even my picky ass, will still ride it! ;)
Stop pickin' yur ass man! Geesh! Kiddin'

I think you actually tried to talk me into the 848 in the winter before I bought the 1098. I will say I don't know how the 848 is on the street on the throttle, but the 1098 is so powerful that everytime I 'quickly bottom' the throttle in 1st or 2nd, I better be going straight (although I think this thing could handle a corner on one wheel, to be honest...though I couldn't LOL).

So that, to me, makes it (1098) less than ideal. The 848 is probably somewhat slower, by a bit, and that would make it a better 'crank it to hell' bike I'm sure! And combined with everything else, what could you possibly say?!

Shawn

·
Registered
605 Posts
The 848 has no real weight advantage, it is down on power as compared to the 1198, and will not outhandle it. So the only reason to buy it is the need to 'have a Ducati Superbike" at the lowest possible price. (And it is a Superbike by courtesy or label only.)

Just stay away from a well-tweaked and much cheaper 600 Japanese road rocket or a mildly redone (pipe and PC) Suzuki 750, they will eat your lunch. And for the price of a reworked 848, you should buy the base 1198.

I am not knocking Ducati, God knows I own enough, but the 848 is hardly adequate as a street ride let alone close to perfect. As a redone track day bike or race bike? Sure, but for the street, not on my list.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Come on...I am looking for some real feedback here.
What exactly are you looking for? Someone to tell you what YOU should buy? Go test drive one, see if you like it. Read some of the feedback that's been posted on here in 3 or 4 dozen different threads.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What exactly are you looking for? Someone to tell you what YOU should buy? Go test drive one, see if you like it. Read some of the feedback that's been posted on here in 3 or 4 dozen different threads.
What he said. Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would never buy a bike because someone told me to, that's not what I was asking here. As to a test ride we don't have that option here with our dealer as they don't do test rides and we would have to go 150 to 200 miles to find a dealer for that. A test ride isn't going to really reveal how the bike does in the twisties unless someone lets you take it out for a day...not very likely!

If I were to buy a 848 I would have to go 150 to 220 miles one-way to find it so I like to do a bit of research prior to committing.

What I am looking for is feedback from experienced Ducati owners who ride one and have owned prior Ducati's. I have owned two 900SS's, 996, 749 and 999 and ride Aprilia RSVR.

If it were to handle as well as the 749 and have the power of the 999 I would be interested in buying one.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
"Perfect" for what?

For a track bike? Maybe so. :cool:

For a street bike? Blehhhhh! :sleep:
I can't believe I'm agreeing with AZ_Scott :eek:

Here's what I thought when I rode an 848

This bike is for you if:
You run in the fast group at trackdays
You used to own a Suzuki GSX-R750
You have a volume discount deal with your chiropractor

You want to keep looking if:
You aren’t as committed to the sports cause as the 848 is
You expect a Ducati to have a slightly uncivilized character

Ducati 848 in a sentence:
A compelling choice for the trackday junkie and sunday morning sports riding aficionado.

My Full Report is here.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
On a final note I have come to the conclusion what the ideal bike is, a 749 with the torque and HP of the 999.

What does the 749 offer that the 999 doesn't? I mean if the ideal bike is a 749 with 999 'grunt' then surely the ideal bike is a 999, as effectively that is what it is.

Other than the engine what is the difference between the two? :confused:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts