Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been asked many times, but I could not find it...sorry.

I am in the market for my first hyper. I am a B level off road rider (mx and worcs), so I am not a newbie.

Is the extra $ for the S model worth it? My initial instinct is to get the S, but is the added equipment worth 35% more?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It all depends, If you buy the base are you the kind of person that ends up riding it as is or do you like to mod your bike?
With the "S" you get,
Forged Aluminum wheels
Brembo Mono Blocks
Ohlin's rear
Upgraded front forks
Also a few cool Carbon Fiber bits
If you bought all of thes parts and put them on the base you would spend way more than just buying the "S" to begin with.
The "S" is only $2500 +/- more than the Base.
Just my 2 cents worth. For me it was worth it.

-KK

·
Registered
113 Posts
It all depends, If you buy the base are you the kind of person that ends up riding it as is or do you like to mod your bike?
With the "S" you get,
Forged Aluminum wheels
Brembo Mono Blocks
Ohlin's rear
Upgraded front forks
Also a few cool Carbon Fiber bits
If you bought all of thes parts and put them on the base you would spend way more than just buying the "S" to begin with.
The "S" is only $2500 +/- more than the Base.
Just my 2 cents worth. For me it was worth it.

-KK
+1 Easiest way to find out is, check the S and see what would you upgrade and how much will it cost you. Then check the non-s and start adding up what it will cost to upgrade. The other thing is that you can upgrade buying used parts some times but that involves luck to find good deals. Engine wise they are the same.

·
Registered
323 Posts

I am in the market for my first hyper. I am a B level off road rider (mx and worcs), so I am not a newbie.

Is the extra $ for the S model worth it? My initial instinct is to get the S, but is the added equipment worth 35% more?
I got a base 1100 with a termi 2-1 exhaust and this thing is a beast, I'm coming off a 749. and the torque and growl is unbelievable that I havent gone past 4th gear yet! This thing scares me. but if I would do it again I'd get same model with the Termi exhaust. with the S u just get nice rims/wheels and fancy shocks.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ciao gerald29 -

as pointed out in messages above, the s model has a few bits and pieces that are different from the base model ...

• the carbon fiber bits are nice
  • the lighter forged wheels are nice
  • the forks are mostly a cosmetic upgrade, with exception of the DLC on the sliders, which does reduce stiction
  • the monoblock calipers are a bit of an issue with some, issues with piston stiction, and some owners have reported that these calipers are overkill on the bike (the bike was engineered for a single front caliper)
  • you also get a rear ride height adjuster on the s model, that is not on the base model
when the hypertard first was released and i knew i wanted one, i asked terblanche and a few others i know at the factory who had worked on the engineering and testing, which model was better for me to purchase ... they all advised that unless i was only going to track the bike, to get the base model and spend the $2500 on an exhaust system. that's what i did, and am very pleased with my base model after 10,000 miles now.

bottom line, either model is great ... pick one, ride it, and enjoy.

a presto,
johnc

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More specifically, how much better is the suspension?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
the forks are mostly a cosmetic upgrade, with exception of the DLC on the sliders, which does reduce stiction
I always keep all my fork sliders super clean and keep it "waxed" and polished to a mirror finish. By keeping it "waxed", the fork sliders remain super slick and slippery thus severely reducing stiction.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
More specifically, how much better is the suspension?
the ohlins shock is a mass production model ... and even though it has more settings than the base model's sachs shock, once you get the settings on either dialed in, they both perform nicely.

for the forks, the 2009 models have different brand/model forks (unlike the initial model year, where the s model's forks were internally identical, with differences being the legs having a different color anodizing, the fork caps being slightly different, and the DLC on the sliders). the 2009 base model still sports the 50mm marzocchi forks that the previous model year had, while the 2009 s model gets 48mm kayaba forks. the general consensus is that the kayaba forks have the option of a few aftermarket valve kits and springs being offered .... the marzocchi forks do not, but they can be tuned by some of the suspension groups in america (lindemann engineering being one such group).

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
As an S owner I believe the extra money is still well worth it, to be honest the forks are no better on the S but you try and buy all the other goodies for the price difference.

And if you want black as I did then you have no choice.

All other points up here above some it up well.

So, buy, smile, ride, take photos to show off to fello Tardis riders and enjoy.

·
Registered
400 Posts
The monoblocks, ohlins, and wheels easily make up the cost diff. And the only time I see people listing complaints about the monoblocks are people that don't have them and are trying to justify why. Best brakes ever on any bike I have ever owned, period. The extra c/f bits just save me the trouble of changing them out. I also had to have black so I didn't have a choice.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
The monoblocks, ohlins, and wheels easily make up the cost diff. And the only time I see people listing complaints about the monoblocks are people that don't have them and are trying to justify why.
are you not reading the same threads with lots of input from owners with s models complaining about the monoblock calipers (ignorance is bliss), or are you just plain ignorant (no bliss)? :think:

·
Registered
400 Posts
are you not reading the same threads with lots of input from owners with s models complaining about the monoblock calipers (ignorance is bliss), or are you just plain ignorant (no bliss)? :think:

Wow, right to "ignorant"? :)

Everyone having "problems" with them either solves the problem with new pads or learns to use them correctly.

I did a search by typing in "monoblocks problem" and got a whopping two threads with people raving about them. I tried "monoblocks" and got a litany of threads but none that had a title screaming "problem". The several I skimmed were again...rave reviews.

Please enlighten me so I can change my opinion of my brakes from "very happy with" to "I can't believe I thought these were good brakes."

Do you have them on any of your bikes or are you just going off your latest call to your BFF Terblanche?
:)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Besides, you can't get a black standard model.
..are you not reading the same threads with lots of input from owners ... :D :D

Wish I had known that :p

Scott there are a coupla threads where people were talking of pump up, certainly for my level of riding I have not had any issues and like you I find them to be the best I have even had both grunt and feel wise.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I was also pondering that same question S model or base. I have my chopper
up for sale and have a few people lined up this week to check it out. If sold
I'm going right to the Ducati dealer they have three 08 base models left. In my case I could afford an S model but then I would not be able to do much else to it for a while. But if I pick up the base model I could get an exhaust (I like the zard penta),fly wheel and maybe I would throw on a steering damper after riding it for a while if needed. I think those upgrades would be more suited to my imediate needs. The S model in my opinion probably needs the track to feel any differance. Just my opinion though I can't base it on anything yet. I plan on commuting on it about 35 miles a day half back road half highway. If there was a track near me maybe I would lean more towards the S. I do agree 100% with the S owners, price wise it is definatley a deal. I am also like the way the S model wheels have that cool red stripe it definatly flows with the bike. Most likely in the end I will end up with the base.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
In my case I could afford an S model but then I would not be able to do much else to it for a while..
Why not sell the naming rights to your town to Martha Stewart and get a few extra duckets to get the S!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts