Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Top part of the L of timing belt

Bottom part of L of timing belt

Right bottom part of L of timing belt which I suspect is off?

So are the little black nubs the position the belt is supposed to be in for the top and right of the L that is the timing belt? if that is the case is it a fair assumption that the belt has slipped a couple teeth which is why the top and bottom of L are in the correct position but right side of L is off? I suspect this is the reason I have no compression in my horizontal cylinder and my bike wont start.

2000 ducati Monster900

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hiya

Yep, has slipped ok! The belt doesnt look at all tight in the bottom pic? When were they last checked?

Possible bent valves etc... :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kay... Moved the belt to the proper position and she lives! she didn't start right up but she runs now. no unusual sounds and felt fine riding it up to second gear. the only thing that i'm confused about now is that it took a long time to warm up (the choke was completely open for more than 10 minutes and when i tried to let off it died) after riding it around the block it would idle with the choke closed but it was obviously struggling.

I am assuming the belt slipped cause it was lose (when it slipped and how much it was ridden after I have no idea cause I noticed no issues in performance or unusual sounds). and then when i went to tri and start it up the computer wouldn't let it cause of the timing belt being off? (can someone confirm if the computer or a sensor does indeed do this?)

Other than the bad idle the compression in the front cylinder is still the same (low enough that the compression tester doesnt even get a reading)

Is it safe to ride at all? where do I go from here starting with the easiest things to elimintate and determine why the bad idle and why no compression in the front cylinder? Is it a clear sign that a valve must be bent open or something to explain no compression?

Thanks guys.

to give context this was a new thread because I had an old thread that was why wont the bike start and included lots of other uncessary info until i narrowed it down to this. the bike ran fine when i brought it out storage for a couple weeks. i changed the oil rode it another week. it got snowed on and then all of sudden wouldnt start. determined as i troubleshooted why it wouldnt start that the compression in the vertical cylinder was only 90psi and the horizontal wasnt enough to even get a reading. even after starting now it still has same compression issue in the front cylinder

1 - 4 of 4 Posts