Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Moto GP losing its edge?

Hello,

I’m starting this thread just to see if any one agrees with me that Moto GP has totally lost its edge!

Sorry I just don’t find anything exciting about the class anymore, at all!
I thought the class going from the 1000cc to 800cc is a joke! Now we have a class where there is no action at all, there are no more thrilling rear tire slides like the older 4-stroke, and 500 classes, and the bikes know have way to much electronics on them, and I heard there was talk of a automatic transmission combined with the traction control units they have now, I’m sorry that’s not the great Moto GP that I grew up watching!

Even Rossi said that they should go back to the 1000cc bike to keep the overall cost down, and bring some of the action back!!!

To me Moto GP should be the best riders, with the fastest, biggest Hp machines, and the lightest platforms they can legally run!! Only top notch!!!

Not an 800cc electro fest of modern bull shit!!!

It should be the best rider!! not the best computer!!

And I don’t think there rider pool is nowhere as good as WSBK!!! If anything I would say that WSBK is the best of the best right now!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok, which one of you guys pee'd in Angelo's Cheerios :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree, all the electronic traction control and stuff really takes the human element out of the race. Now You dont have to be the best rider, but have the best engine maps, and traction control programs. Whats next restrictor plates??:think:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just started watching the series religiously about a year or so ago and I still find it plenty exciting, especially compared to the 50 lap parade that F1 has become.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
It's in trouble....17 bikes on the grid last week. At least w/ WSBK their are 22+ bikes circulating around racing each other regardless who's battling for the lead.
Hopefully MotoGP will ride out the economic storm and come back better....problem is technology has surpassed the tire development. You can only go soo fast....do you realize that a MotoGP bike can go 200+ mph! which rivals or surpasses nearly every category of auto racing.....what does MotoGP do now....they only have two wheels.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been a fan for a while now, and I have to admit I find myself a bit bored with the Gp circus, I'll even flip channels during the middle of the race. Dunno, just doesn't seem all that exciting to watch anymore. Lots of races just seem to be parades. Not a whole lot of position changes.

Plus, I'm a Hayden fan, and he just isn't doing too well this year.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
To each thier own.. I thought this season started out a little lack luster, but the past 4 or 5 races have been great. The over all Championship points race has been tight all year so that has been good.
I dont really care how many bikes are in the race because it always comes down to a couple of guy fighting for the top spots.. I would like to see more than just Rossi and Jorge fighting for it at the end, but its still fun to watch.
WSBK has more bike in the race but up untill Haga pissed off the lead he had a runaway with the points. Racing was good but the championship sucked.... I suspect that Spies is about to take the lead and then he will runaway with it unless Haga is 100% or very close.
Race by race WSBK is better. Over all season Moto GP has been awesome so far this season, and its still anyone game.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Yea, I hate it. The prototype class which is meant to showcase technology has too much technology!

And the racing it has been awful. I mean, four different winners, last lap last corner passes, close finishes, multiple lead changes a close championship points race, it just sucks!

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Yea, I hate it. The prototype class which is meant to showcase technology has too much technology!

And the racing it has been awful. I mean, four different winners, last lap last corner passes, close finishes, multiple lead changes a close championship points race, it just sucks!
+1 :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, the last 3 races especially have really been yawners :rolleyes:. The season has livened up quite a bit, we're only half-way through. Now if Hayden and Kallio could just be regulars in the 5th - 8th group......
Oh, and i agree a switch back to the 990's would be nice, doubt it will happen though.

·
Registered
698 Posts
....problem is technology has surpassed the tire development. You can only go soo fast....do you realize that a MotoGP bike can go 200+ mph! which rivals or surpasses nearly every category of auto racing.....what does MotoGP do now....they only have two wheels.
From Faster and Faster "According to a report on Crash.net, Valentino ‘The Doctor’ Rossi believes that the evolution of tyre technology is one reason why MotoGP racing in the 800cc age is not as exciting or spectacular as it was in the 990cc era.

According to Rossi, tyre technology has raised cornering speeds and reduced braking distances. ‘I think that this is mostly to do with the evolution of the tyres. Now we're very fast in the corners and so there is less time to try to overtake,’ says Rossi.

Next year some electronics will be banned - including the GPS based lean out systems that I think the Duc runs and perhaps others.

The F1 cars etc have aero packages that limit their top end/straightaway speed, but the down force created give them cornering speeds far superior to the bikes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ginnies won"t go back in the bottle.

Technology is here to stay and I don't agree that it ruins the race. One mechanic stated it this way. "Once you get the proper programming done and set the bike up, the rider goes out and pushes until he hits the limitation of the set-up after a dozen laps. Then you have to start all over again, it's a moving target."

I think the technology adds another level of skill and sophistication to the race and I think it is removing some actions from the rider but replacing those with just another. The skill involved in managing that bike is still phenominal and beyond demanding.

As another poster indicated: tires, tires, tires

I think watching Rossi (who will be one of the great riders of all time perhaps) battle with Lorenzo in Germany and Pedrosa's almost flawless run at Laguna was some great racing.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I like MotoGP, no complaints here and I have been following for years. I do however enjoy WSBK more though.

MotoGP has become more of a technology race than anything but there is still a lot of rider skills involved, for example, Casey Stoner seems to be the only one who can ride the Ducati, Nicky is progressing but Stoner just seems to have a natural skill for that bike. Personally Colin has always been my hero but he is not a race winner, a better qualafier / test rider if anything. Rossi though is truely a skilled rider who can ride around the problem while other riders need technology to get them around a problem.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Funny comment on the "electronics" that I recently read is that because of TC the rides can get on the gas much earlier which causes them to run wide. So they have to ride the rear brake and something even the front break to transfer load to the front tire.

So they are at full lean, knee on the ground, full throttle open, riding both breaks..yeah...no skill there. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I wonder what MotoGP would be like if you put the mufflers back on the bikes? That alone separates GP from WSBK. Without that sound, especially in person would take the excitement down a few notches.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Turn up the volume and take off your blinders..

You clearly have not been watching the same MotoGP1 races as the rest of us.

Is Moto GP losing its edge?

Hello,

I’m starting this thread just to see if any one agrees with me that Moto GP has totally lost its edge!

Sorry I just don’t find anything exciting about the class anymore, at all!
I thought the class going from the 1000cc to 800cc is a joke! Now we have a class where there is no action at all, there are no more thrilling rear tire slides like the older 4-stroke, and 500 classes, and the bikes know have way to much electronics on them, and I heard there was talk of a automatic transmission combined with the traction control units they have now, I’m sorry that’s not the great Moto GP that I grew up watching!

Even Rossi said that they should go back to the 1000cc bike to keep the overall cost down, and bring some of the action back!!!

To me Moto GP should be the best riders, with the fastest, biggest Hp machines, and the lightest platforms they can legally run!! Only top notch!!!

Not an 800cc electro fest of modern bull shit!!!

It should be the best rider!! not the best computer!!

And I don’t think there rider pool is nowhere as good as WSBK!!! If anything I would say that WSBK is the best of the best right now!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Halfway through the season, you have not one or two, but THREE (would've been 4 if not for Pedrosa's injuries) riders all very close in championship points. With Pedrosa winning at Laguna and consistenly on the podium, you have 4 riders that are constantly swapping podium places each race. Racing hasn't been this close in ages.

However, I do agree with those of you that think technology has gone too far. I personally am not a fan of traction control and miss the old days of seeing masters like Doohan sliding sideways and hanging on for dear life around a track.

As far as comparing MotoGP and WSBK riders, I cannot disagree more with anyone who thinks WSBK has the better talent pool. There is no way Haga, Fabrizio, Neukirchner, or any other WSBK star can hold a candle to Rossi (greatest roadracer EVER), Stoner, Lorenzo, or Pedrosa (or even Melandri). Haga, Biaggi, etc. have tried their hands at MotoGP and have washed out and taken the step down to the WSBK level. With the exception of "possibly" Ben Spies (who has been phenominal in his WSBK rookie year), there's no way you could take ANY WSBK rider, throw them into the MotoGP series and have him win races. MotoGP represents the pinnacle of roadracing and naturally, the top riders are in this series.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts