Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a librarian, I haven't had the opportunity to buy a lot of bikes so I've maintained this '00 M750 for 20 years now. I have the chance to buy a new bike, but I'm torn on what to do with this one. My moto repair shop says it probably isn't worth so much anymore. Should I pickle it and put it on display in the garage? Have you ever been faced with a decision like this? What did you do? thx!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
If you don’t need to sell it then don’t , for now. Buy your new bike but hang on to the Monster . Drain ALL of the fuel and put Stabil or Seafoam in. Spray the inside of the tank with fogging oil to prevent rust.
If you decide in time that you should sell it, Ask whatever you feel it’s worth. Field offers on it. The dealer is just setting you up to lowball you on trade in. Your bike looks as if it’s in good shape, and at 20 years old, it’s not as if the value is going to go down much more.

Reactions: SP3

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Where is the bike located ? What do you want for it ? Miles, Model, Mods ? You know you can always advertise it on the forum.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Decide what it's worth to you, monetarily speaking. List it for sale at that price and see if there's any interest. If not, you have your answer 😁

I don't think these bikes will ever be particularly collectible, nor valuable. Unless it hold a lot of sentimental value for you, I'd be inclined to pass it on to someone else who would enjoy it.

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
I also love having diversity in my bikes and own quite a few, but it depends on you, are you really attached to it and does it hold a lot of sentimental value or are you tired of it and ready to move on? I think your dealer is right that a 00 750 monster is not worth a whole lot. But condition is key on these old bikes and people will pay more for a bike that is in great condition and yours looks pretty good. - Do Not trade it in on the new bike - they will hose you. That bike will sell quickly at the right price.

But I wouldn't hesitate to keep it as an art piece, hell its your bike why not enjoy having it around; clean it up real good drain all the fluids and put it in your living room! ;)

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,310 Posts
Just curious, why do pancakes need librarians?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
So you must have info on Saint Alfonzos Pancake Breakfast.
I need to steal some margarine. :D

Umm, I think I would sell so as to not have another bike to maintain.
Or at least that's what I did a while back with my old bikes.

Nice looking yellow Monster, btw.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
MFL brings up a valid point. Ducati service ain’t cheap, even if you do it yourself. If you’re buying a similar bike, would you really use it ? I have quite a few bikes, but it’s foolish really. I have my favorites and cause myself a lot of maintenance work.

Reactions: Iwannaduc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a 10x10' space, and I crammed it onto an opposite wall of the first photo to try out the "Ducati as Art" idea -and it fits, kinda! Now there's a little more room on the left for another one (first world problems). I had a very good friend who, upon close to passing away, said "never sell a bike" -and he ended up with seven or so, some in boxes- and I think I'm beginning to understand why

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
398 Posts
I wouldn't sell. Your bike appears to be in pristine condition as well! If you are in the market for a bike, have at it! But, I would keep your current one for life!

·
Smut peddler
1,017 Posts
Get the other bike, then figure it out. I have three at the moment, one needs to go. Everyone has a different situation. For me, paying registration and insurance on a bike I never use is just money wasted on something else I can enjoy. Part of me wants to just go down to one, but there's a sentimental value to my hyper I just can't bring myself to let go of it. If you're getting a similar new bike, my guess is your love for the monster will fade. If you're getting something different, like a tourer, dual sport, etc, you'll probably want to keep the monster. It seems that for the road, two bikes is the perfect number if they serve different purposes.

And agreed, the garage and the monster are both awesome.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Yeah, add my vote to keeping it, it really is a cool looking bike. If you find out you don’t really ride it much then sell it. I have 3 bikes and the change up in feel, sound function are welcome. If I had to I could cut down to 2, for a decade or so I’ve had a warm weather bike (like 70F+) and a cold weather bike, then I added a lust bike (my Hyper) so it’s 2 warm weather bikes for now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts