Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

Looking for MS advice, since I only know Carbed bikes and 916/999.

I found a local 2010 MS1200 with 10k mls, let's say for VERY cheap money.

The problem is, indicated by the seller, that his garage told him that the transmission bearing needs to be replaced (makes noise) and they found metal shavings in the oil.

Q:
1) what's the going price for a similar bike w/o any problems?

2) are MS 1200 engines easy to find and for what money?

3) I have taken 900ss and 996 engines completely apart, how different is the MS1200 engine?

Thanks for your inputs!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
The real question is, once you took them apart(900+996), did you get them back together and running...

If so other than electronics, an L twin engine is an L twin engine (motor?)

Price right go for it...

Bob

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi guys.

Looking for MS advice, since I only know Carbed bikes and 916/999.

I found a local 2010 MS1200 with 10k mls, let's say for VERY cheap money.

The problem is, indicated by the seller, that his garage told him that the transmission bearing needs to be replaced (makes noise) and they found metal shavings in the oil.

Q:
1) what's the going price for a similar bike w/o any problems?

2) are MS 1200 engines easy to find and for what money?

3) I have taken 900ss and 996 engines completely apart, how different is the MS1200 engine?

Thanks for your inputs!
1) How cheap is very cheap? What model is the one he's selling? Base, S, S sport, S touring, etc? A 2010 base Multi with 10k miles I would imagine is about 8k or less, depending on condition, mods, etc - 10k miles doesn't mean it's pristine. A 2010 S model multi w/ 10k mi might be $9k or more if it's in very good condition, garage kept, etc.

2) see complexCarlo's post

3) Not sure about this answer, but you might want to get a quote from the seller's garage about what they think the issue is (transmission and metal shavings) and what they think repairs will be, just in case it's something you can't handle.

IMHO - let's hear how cheap is super cheap, otherwise I'd say find an excellent condition example and start there.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
To me, any significant metal in the oil (other than a little in the first change) is an automatic disqualified for a market priced bike.

Whatever it's worth in a fair market sale, subtract twice what you think it's going to cost to repair. And you'll likely get a great bike with a known engine.

Vs buying a unknown in the used engine market.

Bob

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheap is $3000 - it's a base model.
I'm not really looking forward to rebuild the engine. I have done it before and just lack the time.

My take is if I find a used engine for less than $2k, I would be in $5k plus $500 misc.

Hence $5500 plus my own labor/time vs ~$8500 for a running and original bike.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Cheap is $3000 - it's a base model.
I'm not really looking forward to rebuild the engine. I have done it before and just lack the time.

My take is if I find a used engine for less than $2k, I would be in $5k plus $500 misc.

Hence $5500 plus my own labor/time vs ~$8500 for a running and original bike.
That is a good price. Buy a used motor online and plug and play.

Or, buy the bike and part it out and make some real money.

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Jeepers Creepers I always wanted to Dismantle a Multistrada.
What could go worng???

Think of the tools time Headaches Blood messed up teeny tiny fasteners that take forever to make right And the searching searching you would need to do.
Get it all back together and OOOPS You forgot one teeny tiny item ,BOOM start over...

Nah can't happen to you right???

Hey go for it!!
I saved $40 doing my truck exhaust!!!
A trip to the emergency for the 6 stitches I needed cured me of Saving Money...

Myself I don't feel that I KNOW what to Look for and fear that I may miss something , scares me from going too far out of my comfort zone...

Roll the dice and sometimes you win and well you know the other outcome.

Feeling Lucky???

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the inputs! The seller upped his asking price now to $4000 now.
At this price point I don't believe it's a good deal anymore.

·
Registered
152 Posts
In my opinion, it's not worth the headache. For that kind of money, buy a V Strom 650 and go ride.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks for all the inputs! The seller upped his asking price now to $4000 now.
At this price point I don't believe it's a good deal anymore.
That's a cluster f*ck, right there. Guy told you $3k and now is saying $4k? Tell him good luck and find a better bike. You don't want to deal w/ a seller like that, or a nightmare bike situation like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts