Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to make sure I'm not measuring this wrong bc I'm getting almost 45mm from bottom of the swingarm. Yikes. Look right?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
That's not how I'd measure. Push the chain down, measure. Push the chain up as far as it will go. Do the measurement again. Subtract the two values.

Visually that chain looks fine. I bet your closer to 30mm.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not how I'd measure. Push the chain down, measure. Push the chain up as far as it will go. Do the measurement again. Subtract the two values.

Visually that chain looks fine. I bet your closer to 30mm.
You can't push the chain up, it hits the chain guard. I read in other threads that on our bikes you have to measure the sag from the bottom of the swingarm and it should be around 35mm.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You can't push the chain up, it hits the chain guard. I read in other threads that on our bikes you have to measure the sag from the bottom of the swingarm and it should be around 35mm.
The picture and the description don't really jive. I've always done the deflection method (below) vs the absolute distance method.

My manual describes the procedure like this:
Turn the rear wheel slowly to find the position at which the chain is at its most taut.
Place the motorcycle on its sidestand.
Push the chain upwards with one finger in correspondence with the mid point of the swingarm (see label).
The bottom run of the chain must be able to deflect 27 to 29 mm.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The picture and the description don't really jive. I've always done the deflection method (below) vs the absolute distance method.

My manual describes the procedure like this:
That description describes how I measured it, so we must be saying the same thing.

https://youtu.be/qPPgBFCSFGE

So my chain is way out of spec. I'm almost 10mm too loose. :surprise:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mpower - the way you are measuring the chain is correct. The label that slowdrive posted is not for the 1098 streetfighter, the method is right but the SF spec is 33 - 35mm clearance.
Yes, you need a slight adjustment to bring the chain into spec.
Thank you sir!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Gerrod is a thread resurector :oops:

Strange wear pattern on this rear sprocket. Looks like all links fall on the same pairs of theeths every time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts