Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2000 750 ss and found that the front cylinder wall coating is flaking near the top of the piston. Is it okay to have it bored out and get a bigger piston or do you need to sleeve it? Or find another cylinder? Also do you know of a good place to find oversized pistons?
Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It turns out the cylinders are coated in nikosil. They need to be sleeved not just rebored. So I guess I am looking for someplace to find cylinder jugs. Does anyone know what cylinder jugs are compatible with the 749? Are the jugs and pistons the same as a 748? Anybody sellling?

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
welcome to the board, let me tell you at first, that you are
in the wrong section of it, this is about supersport Ducatis,
yours is a superbike.

anyway, the cylinders can be replated with Nigusil, once
the old stuff has been taken out of the cylinder, sleeving
is not a common method for these.
you could buy a nice 853ccm kit for your bike also,
yes, cylinders for both bikes should be identical. ( 748 - 749 )

:think:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats great! Thanks for the help although my bike says supersport on the side so thats why I think it is a supersport and this was the right section. Most of the places quote about $200 bucks to replate the jug. I am watching one on ebay and will see what route is cheaper. But thats again for the links.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I just picked up a 2000 750 ss
...Does anyone know what cylinder jugs are compatible with the 749? Are the jugs and pistons the same as a 748? Anybody sellling?

You DO have a SuperSport. But a 749 and a 748 are both Superbikes, so your second post contradicts your first. Why do you care which cylinders are compatible with a 749? Your bike is a 750SS, which has a 748cc displacement. Why are you asking about a 749?

Unless of course you're looking for cylinders off a Superbike to put on your Supersport, which I'm doubting will work but I'm no expert. Certainly a 749 cylinder won't work as the 749 has a 90mm bore vs the 750SS 88mm bore.

(Also, I'm confused as to how the 748 and 749 can have "identical" cylinders when to my knowledge they have a different bore)

FYI - "cylinder jugs" is redundant - the cylinder IS the jug. I realize you're a newbie and I'm not trying to flame, but until you get a better feel for what you're talking about, it'd be best to stay specific for what you need - a cylinder for a 2000 750SS. Leave "748" and "749" out of it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Us Chrome

Hi there
Cheaper is not always better; I can recommend US chrome I have done a 125 cc cylinder and a 450 cylinder with them, or they did them for me :) both perfectly done.

regards
Arnego2

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, like you said I am new to Ducati's. I guess I need double check my sources of info. I was told by an "expert" that the 2000 ducati 750 is a 749. And that the cylinder I need will come from a 749. If not what do I need? Thanks for you patience.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
Sorry, like you said I am new to Ducati's. I guess I need double check my sources of info. I was told by an "expert" that the 2000 ducati 750 is a 749. And that the cylinder I need will come from a 749. If not what do I need? Thanks for you patience.
your Supersport 750 has 749ccm engine capacity, but it is not to be
confused with the ducati 749 superbike which has air-cooled cylinders
and 4 valve heads, yours has got air cooled cylinders and only two
valves per head.
the bikes are quite different even if the capacity of the engine is the same,
bore to stroke ratio is different, the superbike has got a lot more hp.

cheers.

( you need 750 supersport not 749 superbike engine parts )

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
your Supersport 750 has 749ccm engine capacity, but it is not to be
confused with the ducati 749 superbike which has air-cooled cylinders
and 4 valve heads, yours has got air cooled cylinders and only two
valves per head.
the bikes are quite different even if the capacity of the engine is the same,
bore to stroke ratio is different, the superbike has got a lot more hp.

cheers.

( you need 750 supersport not 749 superbike engine parts )
I think you meant Liquid-cooled

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I was told by an "expert" that the 2000 ducati 750 is a 749. And that the cylinder I need will come from a 749. If not what do I need? Thanks for you patience.
As far as I know the 750 SS has a bore x stroke of 80 x 61.5 which leads to 748cc... but that's not all that important really. You know you want the cylinder for a 2000 750ss. That's likely the same as a 750 Monster of the same era.

Call fast by Ferracci or some other well known shop that builds Ducati engines. Tell them you need a cylinder for a 2000 750ss or need yours repaired. Or open your wallet and go big:
http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=197

If you are buying off eBay, make sure it's off a 750SS of the same vintage, unless somebody who does this stuff for a living tells you what year/model cylinder would work.

Or contact any of the places that replate nikasil cylinders and see what they say.

And don't put too much into what people on internet forums say. Yes, that includes me. Talk to the (true) experts - the ones who do it for a living. Then figure out what you need. Trying to go cheap on something like this when you don't know what you're doing is an easy way to screw it up worse...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called a few ducati shops and they said that the motor from a 750 monster is the same as mine. So I found a Ducati shop that had a motor from a wreck and he is sending those to me the jugs with the pistons pretty cheap. Thanks for the help on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts