Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 959 Corse w/3K miles & 2016 Monster 1200R w/6K miles.

Coolant reservoir is low on both bikes and all I have on hand is a bottle of 'Engine Ice' coolant.

Is it OK to top off the stock Ducati coolant with Engine Ice coolant?

Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Depends on the amount of coolant necessary to top it off. I am running Purple Ice in two of my 748s, myself. It mixes to a ratio of 1oz per quart of 50/50 mixture, or 2oz. per quart of pure water. I suppose it is okay to go a little over that, since my manuals recommend 60/40 (water/coolant). I wouldn't go running a full bottle in there, though (but I am a stickler for mix ratios, and things like that). If you are down more than a few fl. oz., I would add the proper ratio of Ice to the mixture, then top it off (to the "max" line) with deionized water, when you can get around to buying a jug.
The Ice will add lubricity, and the extra water will assist in cooling. Just be sure to get that ratio as close to OEM recomendations as possible if you live in a colder climate area. More water means better cooling, but also decreases the anti-freeze properties. Ice will add the needed lubricity for those seals and water pump.

The stuff seems to work marginally, however, I suppose it is more a placebo, than anything. It still runs hot because......... well, it's a Ducati. ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, I give up.

What's the trick to getting coolant into the reservoir?

Took the side fairing off, got the reservoir cap off.

Now what? The front fairing is clearly blocking access to the fill hole.

Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
According to Engine Ice:

"We recommend you never mix ANY TYPE of coolant and antifreeze products. One reason is that propylene glycol and ethylene glycol do not mix well together. Another reason is that just because the base fluid may be similar, other additives and ingredients may not be. Just as you would not mix oils, and for the same reasons, you should not mix coolants and types of antifreeze."

https://engineice.com/faqs/

·
Registered
305 Posts
According to Engine Ice:

"We recommend you never mix ANY TYPE of coolant and antifreeze products. One reason is that propylene glycol and ethylene glycol do not mix well together. Another reason is that just because the base fluid may be similar, other additives and ingredients may not be. Just as you would not mix oils, and for the same reasons, you should not mix coolants and types of antifreeze."

https://engineice.com/faqs/

Weird. Surly Engine Ice isn't for water/race applications, only. Just a guess, but I would say that this is just a disclaimer, thought up not by chemists, but lawyers. For example, if you mix Ford Powerstroke or GL5 coolant with standard glycol coolant, it can sludge up and cause system failures.

Royal Purple clearly states how much to mix with straight water, or water/coolant combination.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,540 Posts
No it is not ok.

Never ever mix one brand of coolant with another no matter what it says on the label.

I'm in a cooling system related field and the biggest single issue I see is caused by mixed coolants.

Just a cup full of non compatible ones will turn you coolant acidic within a few weeks with the resultant consequences over time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No it is not ok.

Never ever mix one brand of coolant with another no matter what it says on the label.

I'm in a cooling system related field and the biggest single issue I see is caused by mixed coolants.

Just a cup full of non compatible ones will turn you coolant acidic within a few weeks with the resultant consequences over time.
Definitely on mixing coolant types, but what about additives? If these were never meant to be mixed with coolant, then why do they have mixing instructions for such? I can see race applications where one would mix with pure water, but Purple Ice, for one, specifically states how much to use with a 50/50 coolant mixture.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I should not top of the bike with Engine Ice, what should I use in lieu of genuine Ducati coolant?

Let's say, that my local Ducati Dealer stocks Motorex coolant (or any other brand other than that which came in the bike), could I trust their judgement and just use their off the shelf coolant for a top off?

Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
Why not make it easy on yourself and replace the coolant, can't do it no harm. I with the others and have read never mix different coolants.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,540 Posts
If I should not top of the bike with Engine Ice, what should I use in lieu of genuine Ducati coolant?

Let's say, that my local Ducati Dealer stocks Motorex coolant (or any other brand other than that which came in the bike), could I trust their judgement and just use their off the shelf coolant for a top off?

Thanks

No don't trust their judgment on coolants.that's how most of my customers hit cooling system problems.
Most shop mechanics are surprisingly ignorant about mixed coolant issues.

Either top off with distilled water or do a drain/flush/refill with new coolant and keep using the same flavour from then on.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Just grab a bottle of distilled water at the grocery store for a $1.00... Can't go wrong there.

Bigger question is how much do you need to add, are you sure you need to? If you really do need to add coolant, as in the reservoir is below the low-level line, where did the coolant go that you are replacing? The reservoir bottle has a high mark and a low mark for a reason. If you are between those marks, even if you are closer to the low end, you don't need to add anything. Being on the high mark is not going to gain you anything and gives you less room for expansion if needed.

If you're loosing coolant, forget adding more. Find out where it's going first.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not make it easy on yourself and replace the coolant, can't do it no harm. I with the others and have read never mix different coolants.
Wouldn't doing a complete flush on a bike with only 3K miles (that only needs a little top off) be a waste?

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just grab a bottle of distilled water at the grocery store for a $1.00... Can't go wrong there.

Bigger question is how much do you need to add, are you sure you need to? If you really do need to add coolant, as in the reservoir is below the low-level line, where did the coolant go that you are replacing? The reservoir bottle has a high mark and a low mark for a reason. If you are between those marks, even if you are closer to the low end, you don't need to add anything. Being on the high mark is not going to gain you anything and gives you less room for expansion if needed.

If you're loosing coolant, forget adding more. Find out where it's going first.
I don't suspect the bike is leaking coolant.

The reservoir level looks to be just below the 'Min' line, kinda hard to tell without a small penlight, though.

The front fairing is blocking the reservoir fill hole. Am I going to need to remove some body work to add coolant, or can I jamb a small funnel neck in between?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
I don't know your bike, can't answer about access. I have a long thin transmission oil funnel for such things. Maybe that would help.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I have a funnel with tubing on it. They sell them like that. As far as mixing, how about chocolate and vanilla ice cream ? I know there’s a disclaimer on the carton but the lady at the counter swears it will work.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Seems unnecessary. I would top off with water, then flush and fill with a good, readily available coolant at the next coolant service interval, if it were me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No it is not ok.

Definitely on mixing coolant types, but what about additives? If these were never meant to be mixed with coolant, then why do they have mixing instructions for such? I can see race applications where one would mix with pure water, but Purple Ice, for one, specifically states how much to use with a 50/50 coolant mixture.
Bump.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts