Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm riding an 07 sport Biposto. The riding position is close to the GT (footwise: still using black triangles and stock pegs, but using low clip ons).
Anyway, my shoes and knee pucks scrape at the same time. On the right side, the rear brake peg scrapes, and on the side the kickstand drags as well...
Having rearsets might solve the problem.
Also, it would be a good idea to rest the front part of your feet on the pegs. That should give you a bit more angle clearance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Also, it would be a good idea to rest your front feet on the pegs.
That may be the problem. I don't think Ducatis are designed for 4 legged creatures. If you put your front feet on the the pegs, where do you put your back feet? how do you steer?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I also had a scraping problem on my GT. You can always hang off a little bit to gain extra ground clearance, but on a GT with stock pegs and stock bars it is amazingly awkward.

I have put rearsets on my GT since (see recent posts). Makes a world of difference for spirited riding.

That said, I miss my regular GT pegs when doing the regular freeway commuting.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
when riding my gt i learned to tuck my feet in tight to keep from grinding off the sides of my boots.

i did wind up dragging the front bend of the front header in right handers under braking and the rear header collector loop in left handers though. i think this had as much to do with the soft suspension compressing and eating up clearance as lean angle though.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Haven't done it yet. I really enjoy riding my GT in the British countryside, I guess I don't push my bike as hard as some of you chaps push your bikes!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I scraped the toe of my right boot while on the track last time. My foot was too far forward on the peg and that was the first thing to touch. I can't say I am brave enough to go that fast into corners on the road. ;)

Edit: BTW I wear a Sidi 12.5/47 boot, not small feet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm riding an 07 sport Biposto. The riding position is close to the GT (footwise: still using black triangles and stock pegs, but using low clip ons).
Anyway, my shoes and knee pucks scrape at the same time. On the right side, the rear brake peg scrapes, and on the side the kickstand drags as well...
Having rearsets might solve the problem.
Also, it would be a good idea to rest the front part of your feet on the pegs. That should give you a bit more angle clearance.
Everything scrapes in Brooklyn

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
size 14s

I hate it when you are holding a great line on a left turn and your toe hits the ground and up upshift!!!!! So I keep my feet on top and back from this.. I do hate it though
PS I have ohlins shocks and I have raised the back of the bike a good ways but I still hit my shoes ..both sides .. I would love to find a way to fix it...
not sure if I want rear sets on my GT

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/39 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/40 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

I cut my teeth on a home built 750 Honda Cafe Racer with an 820 kit back in the seventies....When I saw my first Ducati one day, I fell in love….it was a 900 SS bevel… thirty years later, I have two Ducatis

·
Registered
369 Posts
I wear 11's and I tip my toes in on cornering. They are not really set up for aggressive cornering but DAMN they sure can corner.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hate it when you are holding a great line on a left turn and your toe hits the ground and up upshift!!!!! So I keep my feet on top and back from this.. I do hate it though
PS I have ohlins shocks and I have raised the back of the bike a good ways but I still hit my shoes ..both sides .. I would love to find a way to fix it...
not sure if I want rear sets on my GT
try lowering your shoulders and sliding your bum off the side of the seat so you can get your body over more and keep the bike a little more upright. Just keep your head up.

I have size 13's - I scrape my toes if I forget to tuck them in or get lazy and don't get my weight low over the side of the bike.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
it's mostly about two things.... body position and throttle control.... learned it on the track years ago..

first... body position... lower that center of gravity by getting one's bum out of the seat... hang off a bit... without your body on top of the bike... the suspension will be compressed down a lot less... thus more ground clearance... and don't have your toes out there.. what they call duck footed... balls of the feet..

also... sometimes it's the rpm's of the motor, and whether your on the gas.... try keeping the rpm's up higher, and get on the gas earlier... the more you're on the gas in a turn.. the more the rear end of your bike is raised..

i use to grind my kickstand and my exhaost on my 900ss.... a lot... it was kinda fun, until i hit my exhaust hard enough and it lifted my rear tire off of the ground a bit... that got me to analize what was going on...

now i ride a lot faster... smoother lines... and the only thing i touch are the pucks... over in the motard section there was a lot of talk about the clearance on the hyper... till we noticed in the pic where Rueben is sliding the rear, giving a hand gesture while smoking the back tire and dragging his knee one handed through the turn... and his peg wasn't even touching yet... it's not the bike... it's what the riders isn't doing....

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
oh ya... i'm 6'2"... 215... and my boots are 13's.... so it is an issue i've had to deal with too... just know... it's possible with practice not to touch a thing and go faster than you are going now....

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
great advice here

try lowering your shoulders and sliding your bum off the side of the seat so you can get your body over more and keep the bike a little more upright. Just keep your head up.

I have size 13's - I scrape my toes if I forget to tuck them in or get lazy and don't get my weight low over the side of the bike.

YES the way you ride is important I loved the guys chiming in about hanging off... I just got back from a major twistie session and I was solo today... and hanging off more than usual and NO DRAGGING TOES.. then I got in to add to this thread and you guys already posted it... so DITTO on getting your body at least a little more off the saddle...
and starting wider (delayed apex theory) alowing a throttle up soon er therby gain some clearance ... and yes keep your size 12 + toes up and in and back !!

DUCS RULE …Rice grinders drool..

09 Ducati GT1000 Black and Gold; 14/39 with Ohlins F&R, Termis & Rizoma bling
95 Ducati SS 900 CR Red; 15/40 my new project…
81 Yamaha SR 500 total cafe project bike

I cut my teeth on a home built 750 Honda Cafe Racer with an 820 kit back in the seventies....When I saw my first Ducati one day, I fell in love….it was a 900 SS bevel… thirty years later, I have two Ducatis

·
Registered
38 Posts
Size 13's here...and yes they do touch once in a great while. I try and keep the balls of my feel on the pegs as much as I can to minimize the chance that the toes hit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts