Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've ridden a 600rr and a drz-400sm. I'm very interested in a Ducati 1198. I am also very interested in doing trackdays. Is this a stupid idea thats just asking for trouble or do you think that it would be alot of fun and educational?

Thanks!

Ryan

·
Registered
216 Posts
Its not the best intro to track type bike, but if you can handle it on the street well, then as long as you use your head you will be fine on the track.

Remember, the track for a first timer is just a street ride in a very controlled environment. Once you get into it that changes of course, but at the beginning its a lot safer than the street.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did my first trackday on my 1198. Like Manny wrote, if you can handle it on the street and use your head you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,225 Posts
If you have one, use it.. It´s what the bike was made for!

Your probably gonna be using your head since you ask the question BEFORE you go out. Just ease into it and it´ll be great!

I did my first trackday on a 748SP with 208GP´s WITHOUT any tirewarmers.. No problems! I used my head.. :)

//amullo

·
Registered
65 Posts
Where I'm from (Denmark) 'breaking in' the rider to a new bike is often recommended being done on a track. That way you can gradually get to know your new bike in a very controlled environment. The 1198 is a beast, so be gentle on the throttle. Take it easy to begin with and make a gradual no-rushed progress and you (and your bike) will do fine. You're in for a treat!

Regards

-M"
:)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Remember, the track for a first timer is just a street ride in a very controlled environment. Once you get into it that changes of course, but at the beginning its a lot safer than the street.
Bingo. Once you get comfortable being on a track, you soon realize how much harder you can safely push it than you ever could on the street. That's when you start experimenting with your performance envelope, and that is why there are so many crashes at the track.

Crashing on the street is a BAD THING and usually means life and limb are at peril. Once I prepped the bike a bit for the track, low sides are not only not painful, but they don't even put much of a dent on the rest of the day! After low-siding on my last two track days, though, I am determined to contain my enthusiasm a bit :)o) on my next one, concentrate on having fun rather than shaving time, and keep the bike upright. Or, I may attend a track school rather than a track day.

So, no, your idea is not dumb, and yes, you will find it extremely fun and educational. Do it!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
just take it easy, never ride 10 10ths always ride withine your limits and you'll be fine, just remember mass isn't linear it's exponential, twice the speed isn't twice the braking distance it's 4 times and don't forget to post pictures or it didn't happen :)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I rode my 999 (an base an S model) on the street for amost 2 years before I had gotten to a track with them. *Have been riding for 40 years. Being an older married guy with kid my days of crazy street riding are well behind me...so for the most part in those two years I manage not to have a "holy sh*7" moment on the street with the 999. That is not to say that I did get lucky a few times after riding more aggressive then I should.

At NHMS this year, after my first few laps I got a bit too aggressive for my skill level and went waaaaay hot and waaay wide into a corner. I just barely kept it on the track at a point where the track has a long history of hi-side incidents.

So lucky for me that event reminded me notch it down a bit. So I say take your bike to the track, and kept telling yourself to ride within your limits. It's ok to push a little bit to sharpen skills and test yourself. It is however much easier to get in over your head on a track, with other riders riding fast and the whole atmosphere of being on track.

Good luck, have fun and keep reminding yourself how much it cost to crash :)

Edit: Not sure who is hosting you track event but it's common to have groups of novice, med and skilled riders. Usually the novice group will have limits like no passing on the inside of a corner and other restrictions to help encourage self control :) If that is not the case and your riding un-restricted , maybe the more seasoned track guys here can tell you the most likey mistakes they see. I am no track rat, I only get to the track a few times a year, but my humble view, the unexperienced guy speeding up to try and make a pass into a corner is where I have seen the accidents.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Whatever you do, just don't skimp out on buying good tires. The 1198's come with possibly some of the best OEM tires on a bike, but it was still *nothing* compared to the Dunlop N-tech 211GP's I stuck on it later.

Just get tires, spend the $30 to have your suspension adjusted, and take it slow, ask lots of advice, and listen very carefully to anyone really fast out there.

Later on, when you really pick up the speed, 30mm offset triple will be mandatory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 to the others. One of the best things someone said to me when I was starting out(I was on an R1), was it is better to go TOO slow and the worst thing that happens is you get passed, then to go to fast and the worst thing that happens is you crash-this is especially true when it is just a trackday. Be smart, enjoy, you'll be fine and have a blast while doing it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think its a good idea, ride what you have.

If you do you'll be tempted at some point to raise the risk level. Keep in mind not to risk more than you're willing to loose.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would think it all depends on how you feel about yourself as a rider? Are you up to it? Do you know any experienced racers/fast guy types that might be honest with you and tell you if you should not be out on a track? Be honest with yourself, do you feel confident enough on your riding to deal with it. If so, have fun.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'll for sure be hitting Willow with my 848! I plan on doing CSS on 3/24 or whatever the March date was...
One of the guys over at OCMOTO is sponsoring a track day in January 2010 for only $68 at Buttonwillow/Streets of Willow. That's right in your area, and I may be attending as well. You down bro?

·
Registered
559 Posts
One of the guys over at OCMOTO is sponsoring a track day in January 2010 for only $68 at Buttonwillow/Streets of Willow. That's right in your area, and I may be attending as well. You down bro?
Sounds like a plan but the weather is still in the 30s around here in January :eek: I'm not exactly down with learning to drag knee when it's 35 in the afternoon lol!

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My first track day I ran all the OEM bodywork. Crashing then would have sucked badly.

Since I was instantly addicted to track riding, I purchased some crash protection. Track bodywork, axle sliders, and bar-end sliders (now replaced with Woodcraft clip-ons) did a fantastic job of absorbing all damage from my two low-sides. Once I put the street clothes back on, there was no evidence whatsoever that it was ever down. If the bike tumbles it will be a different story, of course, but I highly recommend a little track prep if track days are going to be a frequent occurrence.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My first track day I ran all the OEM bodywork. Crashing then would have sucked badly.

Since I was instantly addicted to track riding, I purchased some crash protection. Track bodywork, axle sliders, and bar-end sliders (now replaced with Woodcraft clip-ons) did a fantastic job of absorbing all damage from my two low-sides. Once I put the street clothes back on, there was no evidence whatsoever that it was ever down. If the bike tumbles it will be a different story, of course, but I highly recommend a little track prep if track days are going to be a frequent occurrence.

Any recommendations on track bodywork/track prep?

Sounds like a plan but the weather is still in the 30s around here in January :eek: I'm not exactly down with learning to drag knee when it's 35 in the afternoon lol!
What's the weather like in Bakersfield in February?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts