Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an interesting thing in one of my Porsche magazines:

The 911 GT3 is a street car you could use on the track.
The 911 GT3 RS is a track car you could use on the street.

So are Ducatis streetbikes or racebikes?

alexxx

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts

alexxx
ROADbikes that you can also use on the track, or the street.

Tom

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think the superbike line are race bikes designed/modified for the street.
Ducati sold almost every example of their race bikes as street bikes for WSBK homologation purposes; and there different engines sizes to compliment the line up.
916/996/998 raced and there was the 748 for those who didn't need all the power
999/749 raced
1098/1198 raced in 1098R form

·
Super Moderator
8,267 Posts

alexxx
Porsche makes alot of models.. Would you consider the Cayenne to be a street car you can use on the track? Or the Boxster? Or the new Panamera?

Point is that Ducati makes more models then Porsche, they all have there own select targetgroup. So what model are you referring to?:)

Just making a point.. :D

//amullo

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Ducatis are purebred racebikes, the fastest in the world and very, very dangerous. The only reason I'm selling mine is because I fear for my life and my family is immobilized in fear every time I get in the saddle. You should never, ever buy one unless you can safely use all of it's power. This bike is NOT for anything less than professional riders.

At least, that's what the craigslist guys say who want 14,500 dollars for their twelve-year-old, ultra-super-unlimited, one-of-a-kind Ducatis with 400-dollar race-replica fairings from China.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes.

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
What kinda mood your in , says it all, I go for a putt with little intentions of racing around , but something strange happens all too often and I ,become weak and have more fun than I should legally have.....

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Ducatis are Italian motorcycles that lean toward the sporty side of riding.
wait a second ... ducati makes motorcycles? i thought they only made electrical components, radios, cameras, razors, bicycle and outboard motors? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

alexxx
I would debate those statements as neither of those two have the required compliment of safety and performance modifications to compete in a series.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
are you saying that the misses cayenne isn't a race suv?
i'll have remember that the next time she tells me to go fill it up.
Porsche makes alot of models.. Would you consider the Cayenne to be a street car you can use on the track? Or the Boxster? Or the new Panamera?

Point is that Ducati makes more models then Porsche, they all have there own select targetgroup. So what model are you referring to?:)

Just making a point.. :D

//amullo

·
Señor Member
8,474 Posts
Mine is less of one and more of the other. Mostly it's a babe magnet.

"in God we trust"

·
Registered
741 Posts
No matter how much a manufacturer says their machine (car or bike) is a race car or race bike for the road, anyreal racer will know that race cars and race bikes are on a whole other level compared to their raciest street counterparts.

·
Registered
333 Posts
too funny

Ducatis are purebred racebikes, the fastest in the world and very, very dangerous. The only reason I'm selling mine is because I fear for my life and my family is immobilized in fear every time I get in the saddle. You should never, ever buy one unless you can safely use all of it's power. This bike is NOT for anything less than professional riders.

At least, that's what the craigslist guys say who want 14,500 dollars for their twelve-year-old, ultra-super-unlimited, one-of-a-kind Ducatis with 400-dollar race-replica fairings from China.
HAHAHAHA I just saw a similar add... too funny... F$$D up but funny...

Be good...

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ducati has really never made a public released race bike, like Porsche GT3 RS. Ducati does have special models, like the 748RS which could be purchased through dealers for a race team. Otherwise, most racing bikes start as street bikes from the factory and are modified. None of Ducati's bikes are really complete race machines. The 748R/996R/998R/749R/999R/1198R have motors which are tuned well enough from the factory, to make decent race machines, but outside of the motor, are very far away from race ready.

In the car world, the difference between a race car and a street car is the difference between a ford Fiesta and a Ferrari. Street bikes today are MUCH closer to their racing counterparts then the cars will ever be. Sure, companies like Ferrari add some kool features and special versions of vehicles like the Enzo race version which is 1.5 million euro's, but even that isn't a REAL race car.

As Ducati and all the other brands, build better race machines, the street bikes get better and better. Most of this is due to homologation rules in racing and had those rules not existed and every race bike been one-off like MotoGP, we'd never have 1098R's or 2009 R1's... that technology would never make it down to the street level because why bother.

It costs a lot of money and takes a great deal of time to build a competitive race machine, either car or bike. Sure you can buy a GT3 RS, but can you corner weight it and setup the suspension properly? Bikes are far easier to deal with then car's, which is one reason I personally race bikes vs car's.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
I don't really know the answer to the question, as one respected Ducati guru once described the Red bike as "an honest old bus". I don't often see a bus on a race track unless it is picking up photographers.

Seriously though I would have to say they have a racing heritage and some such as the R's are road bikes derived from race bikes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
They are more like a sporty minivan ...
I use mine to get groceries too :)

Migrane

1 - 20 of 34 Posts