Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Miatas for about 10 years and always heard a great song about Deals Gap. Now with my Ducati, I continue to hear the great words about Deals Gap.
I stopped by the other day[traveling back to Phx. from Lake George] went the long way just to "DO" Deals Gap. Left the truck in Knoxville and rode down, I thought 95 off of 321 and 72 off 411 were pretty nice roads.
Of course there was a huge RAIN storm before I got there, most rain I have ever ridden in, didn't last to long though. It might have helped keep the traffic down, always a good thing. I was pretty soaked,:eek: only had my rain jacket, it had been a nice day.
The scenery is great, the pavement is in good condition, the road is REALLY TWISTY. There is no run off,:eek: up a hill or in a tree on the inside. Down a hill or into a tree on the outside, almost everywhere. Only 1 lane wide almost everywhere. 1st and 2nd gear turns even if it was dry, REALLY TIGHT stuff. you might see 1 turn this tight on a race track somewhere, but not this NARROW of a roadway!:mad: Very few signs to indicate how tight or direction of road ahead. Don't rely on them but they do help, especially on a new road.
I dried out a bit at the Draons tail resort, and the weather also dried "a BIT" the ride back across was a bit faster, a few more riders on the road who weren't immeadiately cooporative. When a rider SUDDENLY FILLS your rear view mirrors, what do you do? :confused:To many try to speed up and think they will keep up, or don't do anything different.:( They just take up space on the road, do they really WANT you to cross the double line just go by without being totally RUDE to them, and chance them doing something STUPID. You already know they don't have a clue, I find this every where I go. Particularly Harley and Goldwing riders, they don't seem to know 2 can use the lane, and that you DON'T WANT to ride alongside them any more than behind them.
It is a great road, but I have been on tighter with as much elevation change. I prefer faster and safer, I think traffic could be a big problem here[mini vans, other riders, cars] coming and going, on a typical day. I enjoyed72 and 95 even more on the return to Knoxville, drier and I had been there once already.
There are some other great rides right around there, I think, But I didn't have the time unfortunaely, and I wanted some dry clothes. Glad I went, but don't feel bad if you don't make it. Just be thankful for the roads you have in your area, there seem to be great ones all around the country.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cool trip. How did you like lake george? I was up there a few times last year and found some really nice roads to rip up. I still want to do deal's gap. After hearing so much about it I have to check it out at least once. :)

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice roads in the Adirondaks, I did 3 rides 170mi,160mi, 165mi. Enjoyed all 3, some temperature variations and I was not always as warm as I might have liked, but would not have missed the ride.
Did not find Tracy road, but found some really nice ones. Again, great scenery, creeks and rivers and LAKES alongside the roads. 8 and 4 and 28n, Crown Point was pretty cool, pretty good pavement in NY.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I did have a GOOD day, and lucky. I only saw 1 Blount county sheriffs vehicle going the Other way.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
For what I hear that place is getting pretty bad, too mamy blind turns, tractor trailers, Valentino Rossi wanna be's, and a whole crash monument tree at the bottom of the gap. Here's a place you won't find me riding!

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Drove it in my BMW quite late on a Friday and there was little traffic and very few LEO's. I thought it was awesome but wouldn't go back because of the idiots and the mobile chicanes that exist there. There are roads just as fun with less hazards and risks.

·
Destinations are optional
576 Posts
This thread comes up a few times each year, and I got lazy and just cut and pasted my response from an earlier thread:

Same ol' same 'ol

I've said it before and I'll say it again: There are literally thousands of miles of stellar sportbiking roads in eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina, and why anybody would want to waste a minute at Deals Gap is beyond me... Really -- Like you're gonna make a conscious decision to go where there's the highest concentration of squids and agitated police?.....

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I agree that there are literally thousands of miles of great roads in the area of the Gap, BUT it is one of those things that you just have to do. It's like Space Mountain at Disney World- long line, not a great roller coaster but if you go to Disney you just have to ride Space Mtn.

If you come to the area you have to ride the gap.

·
Registered
824 Posts
THEE Road.................

.........IMO, to ride in that area is the Cherahola Skyway. Looking at a map, it is route 143 in N.C. going west from Robbinsville & changes to Tn. 165 at the state line, ending at Tellico Plains,Tn. I'm sure Butch will agree it is one of the finest stretches of pavement you will find ANYWHERE! As is the case most anywhere, always better on a weekday if you can. I've ridden 1220 miles of Colorado Rockies in the last 3 days & it's great, beautiful scenery but not nearly as tight & technical as it is back east. Hey, it's all good!
Ride safe, Gregg

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Gregg... Shuuuuushh !;)

as far as the Gap....#1, don't go on a weekend! it is neat; I would go as far as to call it in the top 50 roads I have ridden...(of roads in TN, NC, KY, GA, CA, AZ, OR, NV, UT...and Germany, UK, Italy)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just came back from there last month..2300 miles in 6 days from Philadelphia. Totally awesome. We took the blue ridge from start to the end through fog, rain, sun and NO traffic nor police. It is defintely worth the trip and the ST ran fantastic..although i had to stop and see Donnie at Duc Pond Ducati for a new rear tire on the way back...steel belts were showing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
442 Posts
It is hard to find a bad road in that area. If you can get on the Gap when the traffic is low it is a quite an experience! It is very unfortunate that the Gap is so widely known as WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE go there. When it is busy, you can choose almost any other road in the area and have it to yourself and as said there is no shortage of fantastic roads in that area! I agree that it is best to AVOID THE GAP WHEN IT IS BUSY, but I really don't understand people that have never seen the GAP and say that they don't want anything to do with it, it really is an experience.

Jerry
ST4s

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's like Space Mountain at Disney World- long line, not a great roller coaster but if you go to Disney you just have to ride Space Mtn.
Yeah, rub it in. Planning a family vacation there in August and just found out Space Mountain is closed til November.

Back on subject...My brother did Deals on his way home from Dallas to Pittsburgh. We are talking about meeting somewhere in between us in the next year or two and just spend days driving all the good roads in the Blue Ridge Mtns area

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
If you're in the area the dragon really is a blast to ride and i didn't see any troopers though i'm sure there are plenty to be found at times concirering the reputation of the road. My experience there was that the locales in cars and such general got out of your way fairly quickly, the same could not be said for the harley riders. I have to agree with Gregg, the Cherahola Skyway has to be one of the area's premier rides, less traffic, wider higer speed curves and beautiful scenery.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More time in the Blue Ridge Mtns./Cherahola

As I said earlier, I really wanted to ride some more roads in the area and the Cherahola Skyway was one that looked really interesting. Alas, time waits for no one, certainly not me that day, and I was soaked. Maybe next time I get in the area:rolleyes:
The whole Blue ridge range looks excellent. I did spend some time there in a Miata, but not enough.
Just no end to good roads, if you know where to look. Even in Arizona, I used to ride from Congress Junc.[Yarnell Hill] up the 99 turns to Prescott, up through Sedona and Jerome, down to Cottonwood, across the Zane Grey trail up to Yellow Jacket, down to Payson and on to Fountain Hills. Lots of great turns, elevation changes and scenery. Depending on the time of day, a breath taking ride[long to].
It's just all great,:D whereever you go if your in the right frame of mind. I worked on Yarnell Hill during construction of the newer northbound[uphill] side, 1971 I think. I had a Datsun 510 2 door sdn. and was usually one of the last to go home at night. Now that was a HELL of a ride on th Old 2 lane with no traffic, and I really knew the road. Deals Gap with cliffs on the outside and Mtn. walls on the inside:eek:, shorter though[thankfully]. Boy was I crazy when I was young.:)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Deals Gap is worth it, mainly because it is such an iconic road and it gives you bragging rights to say you've slaying The Dragon. However +1 to the Cherahola Skyway, and also Hwy 28 that goes east from the Crossroads of Time at the bottom of the Gap. Terrific road!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am just adding - worth it and Cheroloa hwy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts