Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is anyone else following this?

3K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  FutureDuc 
#1 ·
#5 ·
What the hell - if a guy has the opportunity to make a few bucks on a bike, why begrudge him? You take whatever the market will bear. Whoever buys the bike does so willingly.

#8 ·
Hey

Hey Chuckracer.... I cant help but think you are a happy guy because of your avatar. I kinda smile because of it. Even if you told someone to go ..... themselves, I still couldn't be mad!

#9 ·
wow...I bought my current bike last year for 3500. I'm praying I get 3k when I sell it in the winter...

But maybe I should take this guys approach and ask for 5750 :)

I'm sure I can come up with many reasons why I should ask for and deserve 5750, right? I mean...look at this guy! :D

#11 · (Edited)
Actually, you could probably get just about what you bought it for, believe me. Maybe more. Those little EX 250's sell like hot cakes, and dealers will run out by the end of the year (see: law of supply/demand). Don't sell yourself short when you turn it over to a new owner, futureduc. The Ninja 250 has an amazing retention of value. Look at the 650cc Hawk GT Honda. People are selling those for more than they retailed for new and have been for years. Are they crooks? The rant below isn't directed at you, futureduc, but maybe there are some principles here that will help you get closer to your dream bike, like they did for me, and I hope they do for you as well.

As far as the 998R guy, he can ask what he wants. I don't have to like it but I'm not going to be offended by it. I SHOW I DON'T LIKE IT BY NOT BUYING IT AT THAT PRICE AND AM FREE TO DO SO, not by bitching about it on the 'net and hurting his chances of making a buck. You know if I just won a substantial amount in the lottery, I would think that $24K is a pittance for such a bad ass bike, and I think that $9k of profit is pretty shrewd on the sellers part. Do folks have such a lack of understanding of a free market like we live in? Is capitalism really so hated by folks that simultaneously revel in all it has to offer?

You know that whole thread makes it seem like he "ripped off" the guy he bought that bike from for $15K by asking $24K for it months down the road, and that it can't be worth that much ever. Please.

That guy sold it to him for as much as he needed to give up the keys at the time, and if he sold it for under market value it is his fault. PERIOD. Nobody held a gun to his head. I'm tired of this prevailing attitude lately that someone who makes a profit is a criminal. People constantly engage in transactions for products and services for what they feel they are worth to each party, the valuation of which is set by each at the conclusion of the transaction, without coercion by anyone but market forces and FREE WILL.

So all foul language and name calling aside, the end result of that thread is that the seller cannot now easily sell his bike out in the open in that marketplace, without the buyer artificially feeling like he is overpaying and the seller unfairly looking like a crook, BECAUSE A THIRD PARTY DIDN'T LIKE IT. There may have been several people who thought that bike is worth his asking price. Is this where we live now?

RANT!

#10 ·
Look at it this way. Wife wants him to buy a "new" bigger house, and if he sold the bike he'd have the money. OK, sure. Put it up for a ridiculous price...Gee, it didnt sell.....not that I would ever do anything like that.....of course not.....it just didnt sell........

#14 ·
Very well said twowheelcossack.

#17 ·
I have a friendly attitude, thick skin and high tolerance but that guy is a douche. He has re-registered on here several times that I have caught and banned but I am sure you are right that he has slid under the radar and is lurking around.
I don't care what he sells his bike for, we just won't be seeing it for sale here. ;)

#16 ·
Umm... The seller didn't have to say he bought it for x dollars... he just could have said $24k please. But to be an ass-tard, he had to just rub it in that he bought the bike for LESS then he's asking for it.

Its all funny stuff, I'm humored by it. I highly doubt he'll sell it for $24k, maybe $18...

#19 ·
It feels like I'm a member of the ACLU defending a Nazi.

#22 ·
I have to admit I really enjoyed that thread and the responses here. For the record not all of us in Austin are douches.

#24 ·
I actually know a few people in Austin and they are just the nicest damn people I have ever met. Also met a fine couple from Dallas last night, also great. Texas is ok by me. Now if we could only do something about our borders...er, shiet, I said too much...:eek:

#27 ·
I can't believe folks are upset about the asking price. Who gives a rats ass about what someone wants. The market place will ultimately decide what its worth. He could have asked $30K if he wanted. Doesn't mean he will get it. Last time I checked the free market capitalistic society built this country. Doesn't matter what he paid for it. I purchased a 1098 and sold it a month later for $1K more then I paid after putting a 1000 miles on it. It was a good purchase on my part. Thats what its all about.

As for SPS, he seems a little full of himself by his posts and I don't know him personally but his posts come off like he is a dickhead but that doesn't mean he can't try and sell his stuff if he wants. However being a dick usually doesn't help you sell that stuff. Anyway no loss over here on M.S.

#29 ·
It's interesting to observe the evolution of communication between men that the anonymity of the web has enabled. Women were much more bitchy than men in the past because they didn't have that wonderful tradition of an imminent ass-kicking to keep them in line. That tradition kept men from being as bitchy as the women.

The anonymity of the web has changed all that, and revealed that men are every bit as capable of being nasty little bitches as women when there are no consequences. (Lest anyone think I'm female-bashing here, I have two adorable daughters I'd kill for, which is how I learned about the way girls fight.)

Oddly enough, teenage girls are getting into more fistfights nowadays. I wonder what impact that will have on female communication, LOL.

Since somebody brought up Texas, I gotta say that I love Texas. Well, the Texas countryside, anyway. Drivers on 2-lanes move over and let you pass. Hell, they cops move over and let you pass. Besides, real Texans stand for something. I don't always agree with 'em, but I respect 'em for being willing to kick yer ass if you cross 'em.

They probably have fewer men acting like nasty little bitches in Texas. :)

ape

#31 ·
+1 - 1st place for that response.

Reading the linked thread made me think of those tabloid rags for bored housewives at the grocery checkout. A bunch of pointless words gathered in one place committed to the public view.

#30 ·
I was in a rest area between Ardmore, Oklahoma and the Texas state line. That was before Oklahoma closed almost all of them because of rampant prostitution. Written on the wall of the stall I was sitting in was this; Here I sit my buns a flexin' given birth to another Texan. I don't agree with the limeric but I've never forgotten it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.