Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want this bike because it is beautiful. I've never owned a bike before and I'm wanting your advice on this. I'm planning on riding a lot and I'm thinking of riding this bike round trip 60 miles a day for four days a week...

What are the pro's and con's of this bike because I've been looking for reviews but I haven't found any that are substantial.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I certainly don’t want to stifle your enthusiasm but most of us are going to suggest that you take a motorcycle safety course before you do anything . . . . and then buy something used and smaller for your first bike.

The good thing about a Sport Classis is that there is not a lot of bodywork to get damaged if you drop it. :eek:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
geospencer said:
Welcome to the forum!

I certainly don’t want to stifle your enthusiasm but most of us are going to suggest that you take a motorcycle safety course before you do anything . . . . and then buy something used and smaller for your first bike.

The good thing about a Sport Classis is that there is not a lot of bodywork to get damaged if you drop it. :eek:
Plus its expensive! So yeah maybe I should get a cheaper bike at first then go up from there...

What do you recommend then as far as something similar to the sport 1000?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Monster 695 looks attractive. It has a proven motor and less severe riding position that the Sport. As far as the safety course being expensive like a good helmet, if it saves your life once it is worth it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ducman123 said:
The Monster 695 looks attractive. It has a proven motor and less severe riding position that the Sport. As far as the safety course being expensive like a good helmet, if it saves your life once it is worth it.
haha, i meant the bike was expensive! its clocking in at like 11,495 right?

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
ducman123 said:

Take ducman123's advice and go for something cheaper than a Sport Classic – unless you have the money and just want to spend it. Find a used Monster for instance.

I’ve been riding for a long time but even with a lot of miles behind me I am more tentative the first few time I ride a new (and/or expensive) motorcycle. I don't think I ride as well as I can on a new bike. I have to get used to it first. Learning to ride and getting used to a new bike is not a good combination. Get something used or get something (relatively) cheap and enjoy it. My first motorcycle was an old “dual sport”. I dropped it. I burnt a hole in the piston. I got it muddy. I broke body pieces. I got it stuck it in the woods. I got flats. But it taught me how to ride.

If you are still determined to get a Sport Classic for your first bike than take a course first. (When I started riding they didn't have motorcycle safety courses or I would have done that as well.)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree. You'll have much a much more enjoyable experience on a bike you can really push without being intimidated. I think the way to go is as light,weight wise, as you can. If you don't have to use the freeways,something like the Aprilia RS50 or the Cagiva Mito (Mita?) 125. If you must use the fwys maybe a Honda NS250 or Ninja 250. Easy to find and dirt cheap. Or, if you just can't live w/o the cafe styling, think truly vintage like a CB160 or 400/4. Not as cheap,but easy to ride and to work on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Would stay in the 500-600 size range (DUC 620, SV600 both great bikes) and most definitely take the course. I was very impressed by the local collage course's offered. My girlfriend took the 3 day beginner course (bikes included) and was up and running with excellent results, they also offer three other levels of rider ability courses.

·
Registered
173 Posts
MyIronLung said:
I want this bike because it is beautiful. I've never owned a bike before and I'm wanting your advice on this. I'm planning on riding a lot and I'm thinking of riding this bike round trip 60 miles a day for four days a week...

What are the pro's and con's of this bike because I've been looking for reviews but I haven't found any that are substantial.
I agree with all who suggest a riding course and something a bit smaller for a first bike. While the Sport 1000 does not have what I'd call "scary power," it is powerful enough to get you into trouble.

As for the type of bike that would make the best choice, either a Monster or SS seem equally appropriate to me. The riding position is something that you'll get accostomed to, so I wouldn't worry too much about whether it's standard or sport. Just get something that you like, and learn to take care of it. You'll be much happier in Ducati-land if you know a bit about your bike.

If it were me, I'd probably start with a good used monster or SS 620--the Monster's main advantage being it's lack of body work, which makes maintenance easier. Don't spend a lot of cash on the bike, so you won't be worried about wrenching on it by yourself. By a shop manual and metric tools. And, enjoy.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Not to take anything away from the Monsters, but if you like the classic styling try taking a look at the new(er) Triumph Bonneville. I really like the styling (I used to have one up until I ordered the GT1000) and they're super easy to ride. That's what I had for my first bike and I have no regrets. There's no comparrison when it comes to performance though. The Bonneville is unambitious at best, but still fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its unanimous, don't get the Sport 1000, its not a starter bike. A starter Monster may be the ticket (get used, once you are confident you will change so why piss away the depreciation?). I'd also look at a F650 BMW...great first bike. Will not be too powerful, good enough to commute and do a little touring, light trail riding etc. Great way to get confidence. All other starter recommendations are also good choices. Take a course & ride safe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Try a Suzuki SV650 -- it's not eyetalian but they are cheap, handle well and still have some v-twin cache.

·
Registered
171 Posts
definitely not a starter bike too aggressive and expensive for a naked bike...I suggest all the advice above...I agree with you it is a one hell of a looker the Sport 1000 and its a hard decision. Good Luck ;)

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Several excellent suggestions have been made here:
Honda CB400/4 - relatively old and relatively expensive, but there are still many low mileage examples around. I had one as my first bike, rode it for ca 65K miles and upgraded to a BMW R75/7 Equally good choice: any /6, /7 or newer R80, R100 Suggested by several: Suzuki SV650 - V-twin power, light, reliable, low maintenance. Get the regular one, not the S. Kawasaki W650, Triumph Bonneville / Thruxton. Ducati Monster (620, 695, 750, 800)

And yes, take the course, by a helmet and full gear.
Enjoy & welcome

RonB

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome! The best suggestions have already been mentioned. I can only ad that when I was learning to ride, I had a friend with 2 dirt bikes. We would go out to Carnegie, near the Bay Area, and test the limits of what a bike can do.
Front wheel slides, rear wheel slides, big bumps and holes, and of course jumps. You'll never do those things on the street intentionally but they won't surprise you if they do happen. It helped me a lot with my bike handling skills.
Good Luck
Tom

·
Registered
403 Posts
Excellent info above. Just want to add something that not many newbies consider. Learning the basics of how to operate a motorcycle is just the beginning. In addition to learning how to ride well and how to survive on the streets, you will be learning how to own and care for a motorcycle. It's not as simple as it sounds. Even if you leave the servicing to the pros, sooner or later you'll do something that seems like a good idea. Then you'll read on some forum that you might have just destroyed your clutch or risked ruining your paint, or taken 50,000 miles off the life of your motor. Do you want to make those kind of mistakes on your pride and joy dream motorcycle? A farily common bike, with easy access to parts, service and advice from other owners, makes learning the ways of the motorcycle that much easier. Especially when it comes time to fix a few things due to the part which newbies usually DO consider (dropping it once or twice).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well I guess I'm gonna go against the consensus here and recommend the Sport if that's what drives your passion for motorcycles.

It has way less horsepower than the current crop of Japanese 600's and the torque curve is way more forgiving. The front brakes will still slide the front tire or reward you with a stoppie if you grab them with more than a couple of fingers and the back brake requires a good amount of pressure before it slides the tire. The handling is pretty neutral, it takes a decent amount of handlebar pressure to make it lean over but you will spend alot of time at the track to ever approach its limits. Not exactly the cheapest way to start out but the big torque of a v-twin will get you in way less trouble than a screaming four cylinder. Of course if you have no fear and an IQ barely approaching room temperature anything will get you in trouble :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am with Clay.

I think it is an O.K. choice for a first bike.

I am not sure you are going to find it an enjoyable commuter though. The riding position is pretty extreme, I don't really think I could do 60 miles a day on it 4 days a week. Rumor is that the 2007's will have an extra set of higher clip ons. There is also nearly zero storage space an no weather protection to speak of.

You might want to look at the GT1000?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of your replie's. This forum is very nice and informative. I'm very happy that I've posted here. This may be my new motorcycle home! I think I'm going to take the majority advice and go with a used monster. I love their styling as well. Hopefully they are more comfortable which is the general consensus right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts