Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new member here who is thinking about buying a HyperS. A local member here was kind enough to let me ride his over the weekend and I really like the bike. Coming off a Aprilia Tuono I like the ergo's of this bike, how nimble it is in the curves, the torque, sheer power and the sound of the engine is just intoxicating! My plans for the bike? I do ride at the track as often as I can afford to go, commute to work once in a while and weekend rides on somewhat curvey roads (for Florida anyway).

My question is a slipper a must have on these bikes?

-Trip

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I would say that I am glad I have a slipper on this bike, where I have not really used it on my 749R.

Reason for me is that I drive this bike much harder than my 749R on which I tend to be a lot smoother (opinions on correctness of this may vary). I have entered turns with this bike with front brake on hard, rear tire feeling like it's coming off the ground (often locked up with very little rear brake) and banging down 2-3 gears at once. I simply don't have the same confidence on my superbike, or maybe the hyper just brings out the hooligan in me.... not sure. I am sure however that a slipper on this bike is a great safety/peace of mind feature.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am going to get a slipper because I put in the light weight Nichols flywheel and I have been sliding the back end a bit more then I should and have been blaming the current tire which I don't like. For normal roads it really is not necessary, but does help when things get slick when the roads are damp or on the track. It definitely is not required on the stock bike, but most of the parts we put on out bikes aren't either.

First thing to do is open the stock airbox when you get the bike and maybe get a Fatduc ecu manipulator as the bike is very lean and plugged up in stock form. I hope you enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
ifyou have to ask

It is my thinking, if you have to ask whether you need a slipper or not is, you don't need it.

I would say that a slipper clutch is "NOT" needed on any bike but is nice to have when you do trip it into action. The bike has enough torque that you probably can ride the track in a few gears and that should diminish your need to row the gears a lot????

However, after my lowly 3 track sessions, I never encountered a situation that screamed at me, "get a slipper" like my feet/pegs hitting the ground.

IMO, save the coin on the slipper and pop for rearsets.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Slippers are a crutch for cheaters who don't know how to downshift...just kidding.

Ride the bike for awhile without one. If you are getting a lot of rear wheel chatter under braking, then perhaps a slipper would have some benefit for you.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Absolutely not. Learn to rev match and forget the slipper. If you're going to be doing track days on this bike, your money is better spent on fork internals, rear sets and tires.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Absolutely not. Learn to rev match and forget the slipper. If you're going to be doing track days on this bike, your money is better spent on fork internals, rear sets and tires.
I agree.

I race Supermoto with a YZ450F and did so both with and without a slipper. The slipper does help you get into a corner faster by not having to worry about your clutch action. This time saved is ONLY important in a race, not on the street.

Without the slipper, I used the clutch to control slide into turns and I found that I could back it in more consistently with just a little practice than I could with the slipper. Plus, on the street, a slipper is not going to "feel" the difference if you hit a little sand or crackseal where your clutch hand will. The slipper action won't change but your clutch hand can easily make quick adjustments.

Good luck with you decision.

Dave

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Get a slipper

The slipper is not super important on a street only Hyper, but if you get into doing track-days, a slipper clutch can be just as important as suspension, tires, & a steering dampener in terms of lowering your lap times. For me its one of my better mods on my bike, just my 2cents, Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Slippers are a crutch for cheaters who don't know how to downshift...just kidding.

Ride the bike for awhile without one. If you are getting a lot of rear wheel chatter under braking, then perhaps a slipper would have some benefit for you.
stfu billy ... your just pissed off cuz you don't have a slipper on your hypertard, ya old fart:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
stfu billy ... your just pissed off cuz you don't have a slipper on your hypertard, ya old fart:rolleyes:
Well, one thing I have learned from riding a shaft drive Moto Guzzi for nearly 28 years is how to freakin' down shift correctly. Matching engine speed to road speed, what a novel concept...

BTW, I also think paddle shifters in cars are for cheaters too. Real men know how to heel-n-toe, double-clutch down shift.

Perhaps we'll need to have the F-- word definition changed to include not just Harley riders with loud pipes, but those with slipper clutches as well.

What are they going to come up with next? Fuel injection? ABS and Traction Control? Jeez, just ride the damn thing.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am fully with Billy D on this... learn to ride the bike ultra smooth without one first... that is a truly needed talent for riding motorcycles smooth and in control. I do track days and don't have a slipper and I love the feeling of hitting the downshifts nice and smooth with the blip..and having to brake hard while entering the corner...makes me feel like I'm one with the beast and really riding it...

On the other hand I would love to have one for the track because I do sometimes blow a shift and it would be one less thing to make sure I'm smooth on with while entering a corner. Damn, now I want one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I find that I can lock the back wheel when wearing ear plugs that get me out of sync with the engine.

When I overcook a wheelie the compression always brings me back down to earth. Would a slipper interfere with that calculation?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I'm certainly "old school" when it comes to down-shifting. I always enjoyed a fine double clutch with a properly coordinated heel and toe. Practicing down-shifting is certainly a good idea, not to mention how good it feels to get it right. However if you are going to take your bike to the track and especially if you are not an accomplished track rider I would opt for a slipper clutch. During my last track day I had one event that slightly locked the rear, after that I was overly concerned about getting the shift right. Which in turn took concentration away from other aspects of bike control, considering how quickly things can go wrong I'll suck it up an buy a slipper. Forks are probably the only other improvement to the Hyper that I will make for track purposes. The dive going into a hard braking corner is really pronounced with the stock forks. I had to fight pretty hard to keep from sliding up the tank. And that was the good part about the fork performance.:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the other hand I would love to have one for the track because I do sometimes blow a shift and it would be one less thing to make sure I'm smooth on with while entering a corner. Damn, now I want one.
That is exactly why I think it would be a benefit to have one, I understand matching the revs/burping the throttle but when you do over cook a corner the engine braking of a twin is helpful but it can also get you in deep trouble quick. That said, I did not have one on my Tuono and learned to shift correctly but at the track it would have been "nice" to have for the "ohhhhh shit" moments! :D

NYSport, very well said and that was the answer I was looking for!

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Well, one thing I have learned from riding a shaft drive Moto Guzzi for nearly 28 years is how to freakin' down shift correctly. Matching engine speed to road speed, what a novel concept...
Only 24 1/2 years for me, but I really wish my LeMans DID have a slipper!

Tom

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The other day I miss counted my down shift and dumped it into first when I thought I would be in second. Rear locked up into the turn and scared the shite out of me. I rarely have that happen but I would buy one if I had the money to spend right now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Must have, probably not. However some bikes (like the Hyper) benefit from one more then others. You can do without but it sure is nice to have one -definitely on the track and even on the street IMO.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Must have.... no. VERY nice to have... YES! I haven't chattered the back wheel once since I installed the slipper. and it still provides plenty of engine breaking.

Trust me, you will likey!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts