Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be using this bike in northern Virginia and would like to use it to zip in and out of dc. I’ve rented a 2010 and was very comfortable in dc. 2018 they made the wheelbase longer, does that make it harder to handle at slow speeds and close quarters?

somehow I have it it my head that the 2017 is the best of everything.

What say you?

·
Registered
692 Posts
IMO a 1200 is not a good city bike, I don't care which year (or make or model, tbh) it is. If I was commuting I'd go for a CBR500 or a duke 390 or something like that.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Ducati and City... two words that could not go together less. In my experience the only Ducati that's good in a city is one that's on the back of a flatbed not running... because every other Duc is going to cook your ass. You want good in the city... get a small displacement bike... little Honda or something. For riding around DC I'd not be on a Multi (or a Ducati).

exception - states and countries with filtering/splitting, then a hyper would be a good choice imo. Multi would be OK (bit big).

·
31 Posts
I agree with the other posters on the small displacement. You need a curb hopper for the city.

NOVA is a great area to ride once you get out of the city. Rt 50 and 55 west of Loudoun County are good. West of Interstate 81 they become incredible roads for the MTS1200. North of Frederick toward Thurmont and into Catoctin Park is great too!. I reminisce.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The question is more about the handling of the wheelbase of of 2018 and 2017. The wheelbase became 2 inches longer.

I go to Ashburn, Lorton, Baltimore, so I go some distances. I want to be able to maneuver well in dc. I rented a 2010 same wheel base and take and all that happy trash through 2017. 2018 it’s a different motor, different wheelbase. It seems to me like it became a different bike. More of a distance cruiser and less of the other three.

so is the 2017 the best all arounder? Or are there other shifts in 2018 that make the maneuverability just as good or better? Is the 2nd year dvt not really worth $10,000 more and I’d be just as happy with a 2011-2014?

sorry for the poorly worded question before, I’m not sure I did much better this time now that I have three questions instead of one!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
the wheelbase isn't going to change much... most riders don't even feel the difference. The bike is roughly the same size and weight as the dvt1200 (all the 1200's are a bit big for city use, and WAY too hot for city use). The only difference that a city rider may actually notice is that the dvt1260 is more refined/smooth at low/mid rpm than the dvt1200 (which is more refined than the 1200)... so if I HAD to use a Multi in the city I'd probably lean toward the 1260... but none of them are going to be 'good' there, and for me the negatives outweigh the positives (if I had to choose between a car and a Multi in DC... I'd be driving the car, and this from someone who had a car battery go dead one summer because he never drove it).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in DC and have a 2015 (which is basically the same as the 2017). I find it to be a great bike for this area. I suppose if you’re mostly zipping around downtown a smaller bike would be nice, but that’s not exactly what most riders in this area do. I find it handles very easy at low speeds, particularly compared to a sport bike. Can’t imagine the small difference in wheelbase between models would be super noticeable. The only thing I want to change is the gearing, which is obnoxiously tall for puttering around side streets and parking lots.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
May not be the suggestion you are seeking , but for urban commuting including some longer distance, the Yamaha Tracer 900 (FJ-09) fits to a "T". Lighter and 50% cheaper than a Multi, has OEM panniers and is Yamaha reliable. Has a quick-shifter, heated grips, cruise control and a Multi-like adjustable windscreen. It also goes like stink. IMHO, the Tracer GT is the best daily workhorse commuter in the world.
2020_Tracer900-GT_MatteDarkGrey_3.png

Reactions: StacyDraper

·
Registered
65 Posts
The question is more about the handling of the wheelbase of of 2018 and 2017. The wheelbase became 2 inches longer.

I go to Ashburn, Lorton, Baltimore, so I go some distances. I want to be able to maneuver well in dc. I rented a 2010 same wheel base and take and all that happy trash through 2017. 2018 it’s a different motor, different wheelbase. It seems to me like it became a different bike. More of a distance cruiser and less of the other three.

so is the 2017 the best all arounder? Or are there other shifts in 2018 that make the maneuverability just as good or better? Is the 2nd year dvt not really worth $10,000 more and I’d be just as happy with a 2011-2014?

sorry for the poorly worded question before, I’m not sure I did much better this time now that I have three questions instead of one!
I have a 13 Multistrada which is same wheelbase as 17. I think the 1260 with longer wheelbase is slower on turn in than the earlier models but they both handle very well for touring type bikes and are quite agile. The 1260 seems to have a little more low end grunt which might make a difference riding in town. Smaller bikes typically make better city bikes but I like torque of the larger displacement bikes enough to give up the slight advantages of smaller bikes in town.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 13 Multistrada which is same wheelbase as 17. I think the 1260 with longer wheelbase is slower on turn in than the earlier models but they both handle very well for touring type bikes and are quite agile. The 1260 seems to have a little more low end grunt which might make a difference riding in town. Smaller bikes typically make better city bikes but I like torque of the larger displacement bikes enough to give up the slight advantages of smaller bikes in town.
I have an 11, and I must say it really turns short, very handy in close quarters and is very manageable in urban mode. Maybe not the best commuter ever, but not bad

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've owned a 2012 Multi and now a 2017 and commute everyday there is less than 40% chance of rain due to other drivers. My Multi does not get hot but warm very bearable no different than any other bike. Take panniers and bags off easy commuting around town even DC in am in GA ATL. Suggestions Multi 950, Monster, Scrambler, Vstrom, Versys, any of the sort depends on riding style and your size and what you have to carry. Research everything and ride as much as you can before final decision. Completely up to you. Have fun awaiting pics of nest bike. Lol

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The Multi is a fantastic all-rounder. I have one and love it.
Just an Idea but have you considered two bikes?
1) a cheaper reliable commuter combined with:
2) a Ducati of your fancy ( could be a Monster, Diavel, Scrambler, Panigale etc)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts