Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tightly Clenched...
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding to work last couple of days, traffic is a bitch because there's a car race in town at the moment plus the Fringe Festival. Getting caught at the lights and crawling in traffic I noticed my 1200 Monster is getting up to 105 degrees C, then the fan kicks in (I guess, the temp drops back to 100 then rises again if I'm waiting long enough).

Is this too high? Can I get the fan to kick in earlier? It's like sitting in front of an open oven waiting at the lights...>:)

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Fine in stop and go... I wouldn't want to see that on the highway.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 2002 S4, in bad traffic mine has fan#1 come on at 220F and the second kicks on at 224F then they go off at different times as it cools down, not sure how that converts to Metric?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
In general when engines get too hot they tell you about it by stalling or not running well. If that happens, shut it off for a while. Ever since water cooled vehicles started using electric fans people have been trying to turn them on at a lower temperature. Couldn’t you just run a switched hot wire from the battery , and a ground wire, to bypass the stock controller ? I’m not sure it would hurt anything, but I’m sure someone will tell us.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My 2007 S2R1000 once hit 317F in traffic... It started idling funny so I got off the road and let it cool down for awhile. Ran fine after that...

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
This is why I don’t like temperature gauges, they make me worry. I once rebuilt a motor after I thought I overheated it only to find I had a bad gauge. Duh.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you dabble in some of the software, you can adjust the point at which the fans kick in. I used TuneECU to change mine to start at 95 degrees C (which was the lowest possible through the settings).

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
No, it's not too hot. It's a pressurized system (just like a cage), and is designed to operate there. 105 C is about 212 + 9 = 221 F. I see the same temps and fan activity on my ST4s, and previous ST2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts