Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Multi owners,
I’m looking for a cradle/mount for an iPhone 8 to put on the bike.
One that would be more on center below the instrument cluster.

The bikes handle bar clamp mount to the triple tree with a broad flat clamp that is held in place by 4 Allen screws.
Is there anyone using a mount that attaches to that.

There appears to be a lot of “Hit or miss” when trying to find the portion of a cradle or mount when it comes to the “How and where” it connects to the bike.

As the the actual cradles that hold the iPhone 8, yeah there out there. But the touchdown to the bike seems to be unclear.
So that is why I am reaching out to my fellow multi owners for suggestions in helping me find something that you have found and are satisfied with.

Thanks for any of your suggestions in advance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I tried really hard with a RAM mount and finally gave up and got a QuadLock. I’m really liking it. The other issue was that the RAM mount has a rubber tether to secure the phone and it was enough of a bother that I stopped using my phone for pictures because it was a small pain to put the tether back on each time.

I can take some pictures of the QuadLock on my Multi if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
491 Posts
Ram has a mount with 3 different length screws that will replace one of your 4 bar clamps and gives you a ball to attach their arm and Xgrip.
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/indexbda5.html?fa=contentGeneric.psqlmptrfsppjcbe&pageId=1224738

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-handlebar-bolt-ball-with-hole-base]Motorcycle Info Pages - 'How to' & FAQs > RAM-B-367 GPS RAM Mount

Here's mine:

You can swivel it around for placement. I never use a tether, my iPhone stays in there just fine.
Also, the XGrip comes in a larger version if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Ram has a mount with 3 different length screws that will replace one of your 4 bar clamps and gives you a ball to attach their arm and Xgrip.
http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/indexbda5.html?fa=contentGeneric.psqlmptrfsppjcbe&pageId=1224738

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ram-mounts-handlebar-bolt-ball-with-hole-base]Motorcycle Info Pages - 'How to' & FAQs > RAM-B-367 GPS RAM Mount

Here's mine:

You can swivel it around for placement. I never use a tether, my iPhone stays in there just fine.
Also, the XGrip comes in a larger version if needed.

This is exactly what I have and ended up liking the QuadLock better. Super simple, also tucks in closer to the handlebar clamp.

·
Hammer Down
1,635 Posts
How about a picture of the case on your phone, specifically the back? I assume the quad lock requires a specific case that works with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just installed a quad lock myself in about the same location. The mount worked perfectly for my iphoneX. Really simple to use. It does require a quadlock specific case, but i just slip it off when I’m done riding for the weekend.

One warning, charging. If you plan to ride wet, dont use the the lightening cable in the rain. I did and nearly killed my phone. I wasn’t thinking properly and assumed the water resistant phone would handle it. It wont. So if it rains on you, reach down and pull the lightning cable then wait until its completely dry to reuse it.

I’m also thinking about getting the quad lock “poncho” to keep the phone drier next time I ride in the rain.

·
Hammer Down
1,635 Posts
One warning, charging. If you plan to ride wet, dont use the the lightening cable in the rain. I did and nearly killed my phone. I wasn’t thinking properly and assumed the water resistant phone would handle it. It wont. So if it rains on you, reach down and pull the lightning cable then wait until its completely dry to reuse it.

I’m also thinking about getting the quad lock “poncho” to keep the phone drier next time I ride in the rain.
I’ve had my iPhone X charging in the rain once...it was a pretty good downpour too. How did it almost kill you phone? It killed my USB charger but the phone was fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I’ve had my iPhone X charging in the rain once...it was a pretty good downpour too. How did it almost kill you phone? It killed my USB charger but the phone was fine.
Well it did ok for a bit. A few showers here and there. Then on the second day riding though some brief downpours the phone wouldn’t charge. I removed the cable after it stopped raining, plugged it back it and it would start charging again. Then a brief shower, or i’d Look down later and the batter was nearly dead. This kept on and on until eventually i gave up.

I got home that night with a phone that had 3% battery. I dried my home charger, nothing would work. Eventually i just shut the phone completely off and left it for a bit. I did some reading and found others who had the same problem. I noticed that my lighting cable had some dark spots on it, likely where water had shorted it out too.

The posts i found online said to make sure the lighting port was completely dry for a few hours, reset the phone and try again. If that doesn’t work then it would require a repair. Fortunate it worked and my phone is charging normally again. The cable wired on my bike works now too. I can only assume that it was shorting out and iOS detected it and disabled the charging.

Hindsight, there are plenty of warnings to not charge the phone when water is in the charging port on the net. there is one case that offers a waterproof lightening connector, but i’m not going that route.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the Rokform Handle bar mount and their case. The handle bar mount is universal so I transfered from my 2014 to my 2018. When I went from an iPhone 6 to an X I just purchased a new case. The case has a built in magnet and a locking ring.

I mount mine upright and if I need a landscape view I just rotate it and it will lock in at 90 degrees.

Their case is better than I thought, I drop my phone all the time and it hasn't had any issues.

https://www.rokform.com/pages/motorcycle-mounts
I use the pro series.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I also use quadlock. I have done for a while. I like the low profile nature of the mounting system. I recently ordered a new case for my iPhone 8 and a new mount for my '14 GT. I needed a new case because my old case was showing wear - it started having play once attached to the mount which I wasn't super comfortable with. I've been happy with my 12k plus miles with the quadlock.

·
Registered
259 Posts
How about a picture of the case on your phone, specifically the back? I assume the quad lock requires a specific case that works with it.

Sorry, missed this. I’m at work but here’s a picture from the ol’ Google machine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two awesome products guys, thanks a lot.
That’s what is great about these forums, it takes a lot out of searching for stuff.

I’m going with the Hondo unit. To me it looks like it will do fine on the Multi.

I may spring for the Quadlock for another bike, specifically the Harley. That’s because cause of a more smoother riding style than the other bikes.

Again, thanks a million.

O’ and by the way, I have lost a cell phone off a bike once before without recovering it. Talk about a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Two awesome products guys, thanks a lot.

That’s what is great about these forums, it takes a lot out of searching for stuff.

I’m going with the Hondo unit. To me it looks like it will do fine on the Multi.

I may spring for the Quadlock for another bike, specifically the Harley. That’s because cause of a more smoother riding style than the other bikes.

Again, thanks a million.

O’ and by the way, I have lost a cell phone off a bike once before without recovering it. Talk about a pain in the ass.

Nice. Hope it works out for you.

Hondo is still too much effort for me to stop and take a quick photo with my phone. Quadlock is extremely fast to remove and replace, and very secure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i typically pop the phone in to ride, and out when i'm done. not much of a photographer ;) that said, the arms on the hondo have a rubber layer, so if i dial them in at the right pressure once, i'm able to set and release the phone without ever adjusting the dial again. i've tried a few other holders, and some were good. this one just impressed me in terms of build quality. extremely solid.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts