Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Investigating iff the ST2 can become SST2

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Thanas 
#1 ·
Say what?

The reason i like the ST2 is because it is a great sport bike, that has enough touring capability for a daily commuter, that puts a big smile on your face, everyday.

Seeing that the frame originates from a Superbike, i was thinking whether it is anywhere remotely possible to use Superbike parts on the ST2 (or ST3, of ST4 etc.) Hence the ST becoming a SST

I recently went to a track day and this last weekend i had a 1000 mile drive in 2,5 days. That was in the eifel/ black forest part of germany. Did visit the nurburgring too, but didn't go for a lap, crowded as heck. b.t.w i live in the Netherlands

Seeing my friends have all got sportbikes, whith between 100 and 130 horsepower, and at least a 20 kg weight advantage, i wouldn't mind making my bike a bit sportier then it already is.

So here are my concrete questions.

Regarding the superbike parts, such as footpegs, could those be interchanged or has anyone ever thought of doing such things.

I've searched the forum for the airbox mod, but can't seem to find a concrete answer. With everything stock, does it make a difference to cut the top lid?
i already romoved the snorkels today, which are ridicolously small, and tomorrow i'll try iff i can feel a difference. I noticed the sound definitely changed. I'm not looking for huge gains, and know that with pipes and chip it would be better, but is it worth the time cutting the airbox? not bypassing the fact that i do want to be able to go to trackdays. open airbox means lots of intake growl, which is cool, but also very loud.

does anyone have a video or sound file of pipes that have been drilled. I've searched the forum and found old threads. There it has been discussed, but also youtube doesn't provide me with a video. I know that this wouldn't change the power, but a bit more sound would be nice.

Where could i start with losing some weight of the bike?

has anyone done some modifying on the centrestand. i wouldn't mind more ground clearance, so i already raised the ride height, and removed the sidestand, (also have big feet and my boots where hitting it) and also raised the pipes by a large amount, even higher than the high mount when the bags are off, which i don't have and don't plan on getting. but the step from the centrestand really stands out a bit. And i really want to keep the centrestand, because i ride everyday, which means i lube my chain about every 2 weeks or so.

hopefully someone can answer one or two of my questions.

P.S.
i know that a good investment would be suspension, but that's expensive to start with, and for now, my riding skills are worth more to invest in than suspension upgrades. And for the price of suspension work, i can first buy a lot off books, and track time....

and just for fun, here are some pictures of my bike,

See less See more
#2 ·
I've found that opening up just the very back of the airbox lid made a significant difference in the driveability of my ST4. Low end to midrange torque is improved and make the bike quite a bit less peakish.

#3 ·
Same here for the ST2. I started with the snorkels, and then removed the rear part of the lid. Had a friend with a 99 ST2 claim that a super-downpour soaked his K&N filter, causing loss of power until it dried out again.

Definitely more midrange punch. Same for ST4S, as this lid is now on my ST4S.

Note that I'm running paper filters. I really don't appreciate the addition crud that finds its way thru the K&N filter. But using the K&N, there's a tad bit more high-end punch on the ST2. I'd expect similar for the ST4S, since it's a "breather".

#4 ·
I'm thinking of opening the front of the airbox, because the front is also where the supply off fresh air is coming from, from the duct in the front fairing. certainly sounded really nice with just the snorkels romoved, should be awesome with the lid opend up. What does the Ducati Perfomance lid look like anyway?

Doe the exhaustst from the ST4 also fit the ST2, that is, just the silencers plus the piece of pipe with the swivel joint.

Greetz
Thanas

#6 ·
So yesterday i removed the snorkels, and after my ride from and to work today, it was hard to say if it changed anything or not, except the sound of course.

So today i cut the front of the airbox out, like i said, the air ducts coming from the fairing intake are at the front...

I guess i just have to get a DP chip and then just cut the entire top off, sound is great now, didn't notice any bad influence from the open airbox, the feeling of it beeing faster could also just be from the sound.

#7 · (Edited)
Can anyone help me find the afformentioned DP chip, or even another chip for that matter.

Here in the netherlands it's a pretty hard deal trying to find one. I've tried the US eaby, but also without luck.

Other question, How would i know if my bike has another chip or not, The rubber plug from the ECU has been opend before. It's been put back with ducttape over it, but i see a green plastic thingie over the chip, so no numbers or anything.

Thanks
Thanas

#8 ·
I PM'ed you regarding someone who may still have a FIM chip.

#9 ·
Pretty crazy...

I said i couldn't find anyone selling chips, and today i actually did.

A guy with a motorcycle shop in the south of germany, pretty much on the border with switzerland, sells the chips, deliverd at my house for 30 euro, thats 40 dollars.

I did some searching, but it seems legit, so definetly going to give it a try.

Would definetly wantto invest in some dyno runs, just to know for sure whats what. not that it hasn't been dne before.

totally stock,
just airbox mod
air box mod with chip.

anyways, i'll keep you updated.

greetz
Thanas

#11 ·
yeah, i posted a reply on your bike just befor i chekcked out this thread again.

I really like how you styled your bike.

Yestersday i took a torch to the centrestand, and with some heat and mild persuasion the step from the centrestand is in a position that it certainly wont be scraping anymore.

It seems i will run out of tire before i start scraping anything. Certainly because the bikes been raise a lot in the rear.

I'll hopefully recieve my chip coming week, and just put a bid on some pipes i found on the internet. Do have to get soms dB killers made though, because i don't want to hasle with changing pipes everytime i go to a track.

Greetz
Thanas

#12 · (Edited)
Darn.

I picked up a set of 916 clip ons (new), and tried to mount them on the ST2, everything worked out great, until i tried to mount the clutch and brake pumps, that don't fit right.

So in order to get the clip ons to work, i'll need to get a set of 916 or similar brake and clutch pumps, bummer.

Because is already had most of the front end apart, i lowered the front a bit, -6 mm.

Aw well.

Only 33 days and then i'll see what it'll do on the track again, certainly no complaints, just could be a bit more sporty, in contrary to most ST owners, which like more Touring.

Small question, does anybody know, what the fiameter of pipe is on the DP kit. I'm wanting to get the pipes raised a lot, and i know a guy who prepares rally and racecars in his shop, including fabricating custom exhausts, the smallest pipe he has is 51mm or 2", when i have a different chip and open airbox, could that diameter be ok, or too much. I'm going to use the standard cans, so not much difference there. And the biggest restriction is the X pipe under the engine. Anybody have any ideas on this.
other option is to go to another shop and get 45mm pipes. but probably more expensive.

Greetz
Thanas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.