Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is Donny O. and I jsut bought my first ducati today. picked up a 98 ST2 with 15K miles on it. in pretty good shape and seems to run decent. jsut gonna take a little getting used to as it is different than everyother bike I have ever had. currently I have a 95 CBR900RR that I bought new(it's for sale now), and a suzuki cavalcade with a california friendship III sidecar. the clutch(engagment and noise), the general vtwin-ness, and that horrible horrible short shift lever. gonna call the dealer first thing tuesday and see if they will still offer a replacement and if not i'm gonna order one or find one somewhere cuz my foot hurts just from the 75 mile ride home!! the guy before me was short with small feet so it didn't bother him. I have a 34" inseam and size 13 feet....so it's no good for me. other than that I can adjust and learn to love the other quirks. it's definitly screaming for some noise makers on the back!!!

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
Welcome to the world of sport touring, Ducati style. Get ready for lots of fun this riding season.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Donny, welcome aout and congrats on the ST2. The ST is a great all around package.
I think that you shifter should be adjustable, so spend some time with that before you throw a new part on the bike. Also the rear ride height is adjustable, if you the previous owner was short he may have adjusted the rear ride height way down, this was the case with my ST2 when I took it home. Raising the rear will speed up the handling.
Good luck, have fun and ride the wheels off of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thanks for the warm welcome. unfortunatly I have some good news and some bad news. bad news is I went riding today with a buddy and let him take the Duc and I rode my sidecar rig.....we had a debate with him a week ago about sidecars being faster in corners on the street cuz we don't have to worry about gravel and such as much. well I think I proved it to him....I made the corner and he didn't. so the bike has some new rash on the left side. nothing bad just some scratched up plastic and center stand and a little on the pipe....no structural damage or anything like that...still completely rideable. good thing he took the luggage off before we went riding!! the good news is he is OK. only some rash on his knee and that is it!!

so the ride got cut short and no major injuries to the bike or rider....just his pride mostly. I took the corner so hard some gas splashed out of the overflow on my fuel cell in the trunk of the sidecar and he thinks he slipped on that. I think he jsut had it leaned over to far and hit the sidestand or soemthing.....pipes were still in the low position and he was being pretty agressive. but he will heal and the bike will be fixed.....oh well sh*t happens as they say.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Welcome aboard and sorry to hear about your ST's mishap. As for the short shifter, go to your local dealer and have them run the VIN number for recalls. Some of the earlier 1998's had a recall on the short shifter for a replacement that was longer. Also, there were recalls on the front sprocket retainer clip, the internal fuel lines (inside the tank), and a spacer on the stator for oiling. I can't remember any others, but there may be one or two.

You'll really like the ST2, as a lot of people with them loves theirs. I bought my 1998 ST2 new, and have had mostly nothing but good times with it. If you have any questions about the bike, just ask them here, as we've always got answers. ;)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hey everybody, let's welcome Donny Osmond to Ducati.ms! Oh wait, "the" Donny Osmond is older than 34. ;)

Welcome Donny. Out of curiosity, how do you find the ST holds up against the CBR in terms of sport-riding? If you come touring southward to NorCal (the USGP is only a couple of months away!) plan a stop in Sacramento. We gots some avid and very cool Ducatisti here.

Enjoy the board, and enjoy the Duc!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Butch...i did attempt to adjust the shifter and made it a bit better but it's jsut way to close to the peg to even get my foot in between and it hurts. and once i get some time to spend with it i will check and play with the ride height. the guy said he could reach the ground fine but it was a bit of a stretch to reach the bars for him. I might try adjusting it low and see if my wife can feel comfortable enough to drive it....she has been riding for about 10 years....had a ninja 250 thena cbr600F2, but never felt comfortable enough with touching the ground to drive the RR....she also drives our sidecar rig ocasionaly.

desmo_demon...the guy told me about the shifter recall and gave me some paperwork on it I think so i will check into that and the other recalls as well....thanks for the tip.

rob....you must be the list comedian?? jsut kidding...i've been called Donny osmond my whole life(along with many other things) so kinda used to it....but actually the O stands for Onley(my last name and yes sounds jsut like 'only'). friends started calling me Donny O. a long time ago and it stuck. as for how the ST2 stacks up against the RR for sport riding i'm not sure yet....not much seat time on it. i'm not very agressive anyway. I know the suspention is fully adjustable as was my RR but the ST is set up much softer than my RR was ever set and i like that so far. I never really took the time to play with the suspention much in the 11 years i had the RR. the ST is definitly no where near as fast as the RR is but that was expected and i don't need all that anyway. i can tell you my buddy sure had it leaned over farther than i probably ever will so i knwo it will do it. and the people behind him were complaining about al the stuff the metzlers were kicking up....LOL i'm sure gonna like having some storage....it was amazing what i could fit under the seat of the RR but then i got spoiled with my sidecar rig having more storage than my car has....so this is a nice medium.

again thanks for the welcomes and here are pics of my toys....in the ST2 folder you can see the before, 2 when i got it home with my daughters, and the one after the lowside.

http://community.webshots.com/user/hondarrman

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
DonnyO said:
rob....you must be the list comedian??
More like the List Smartass. To be a comedian you have to actually be funny. :D

I browsed around some of your pics and -- you don't look anything like Donny Osmond. You have two very lovely daughters, though. I have three boys myself, and every time I see someone with beautiful daughters I think about all the teenage girls I know and think, "God, thank you for giving me all boys!" :)

Have fun with the rides, and when the girls hit their teenage years remember one word: Prozac!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the compliments and I will have to agree....my girls are gorgeous. but your right my life is gonna be real hell in about 5 years. so i'm keeping the guns clean as they say!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts