Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I´m new to the Ducati forums. I had never owned a Ducati before, but I always wanted to have one. Now that I got one, I know there will be more. However, I never expected my first to be a tripple 9. My story is I worked at a bike dealership (we had several brands including Ducati) from I was 16 (in 2002) and the bikes I liked the most were 916-998. When I was 18 I crashed a Honda NSR and my interest for cars took over where my fear for bikes left me. In the 14 years that have passed I´ve had loads of different cars (all within the VW family. starting with a Golf Rallye (it´s been 7 of them so far) and pausing now with a 911 964).

The last years I´ve been semi-looking for a desent Monster project to take me back on two wheels. A project mostly because i preferre to work on my vehicles rather than driving them. I´m born a mechanic so I just have to fiddle with stuff. My cars have just been taking priority over buying a bike.

This summer though, a friend called and told me he had found a 2003 999S for me at a decent price. He told me he would buy it anyways and if I didn´t want it he would sell it and make some money off it. Deal was though that I had to get it on the road and keep it for at least one season. I remembered the 999 as the ugly duckling from my time with bikes. The 999 was sparkling new when I worked with them and I never got the eye opened to the new design of Ducati´s leading superbike. When my friend got the bike home and I went to see it my eyes were sparkling by the look of it. I had a brand new impression of the bike. It was awesome, there it stood in her Red suit. A bit battered and in need of some proper caring. I thought that even if I would not dare to ride this beautiful bike, she would most definately make a great display in my garage and knowing these most likely will not drop in price, I feel great keeping. And so much cheaper to work with bikes than cars. Just buying in was a fairytail compared to classic Porsches these days.

As some of you might have figured already I´m now finding myself seaching ebay and other sites to find 999R carbon fairings to get it the way I want it to be. I have already sourced a monoposto rear frame and 999R seat fairing and I´m currently fitting 848 clutch and brake fluid reservoirs to get rid of the leaky 999 solution.

The bike was listed with the following information:
Milage, 20k km
Recently serviced before not being used for two years
Flat battery
Clutch had started slipping (most likely after being serviced then?)
Leaky fork
Oily brakes and front tire due to above
Not started for two years

If anyone have 999R side fairings and front fairing and a carbon tank, let me know.

So, that´s me. I will continue this thread with the progress on the bike later.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Yorik. Done,

And as promised, here is some information about my project 999S

Plans was as said just to get it on the road and use it. However, knowing myself and my love for the exclusive I had to start changing stuff.

The plan for my bike is as follows
Done - Install monoposto rear frame and fairing
Done - R carbon fiber fairings
Done - Modify clutch and brake master to 848/1098 reservoirs
Done - Complete new clutch (basket, friction plates, pressure plate, bearing and springs and retainers)
Custom paint (Red/White/Black)
Carbon fiber front fender
Carbon fiber fuel tank (WTB)
Red or Black main frame
Black wheels (Ayone selling a set of carbon wheels?)
Black rear swing (paint the one I have for now and maybe upgrade later)
Black headlight housing and top fairing supports
LED brake and turn signal lights for a cleaner look.

It will take some time to get there because on top of all other projects we´re building a new house but I´m hoping to finish it this winter.

Some pictures added below

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A small update should be in order.
I´ve had the bike running for a year. I finished it last summer and got to ride it a few times. It´s now been tucked away during the winter, waiting to see some sunlight again. All I need to do now is give the battery some fresh juice and she should be ready to go.

I couldn´t find 999R fairings so I settled on 749R ones which I plan to do a custom re-spray on next winter

Updated the list of plans with what´s done.
Done - Install monoposto rear frame and fairing
Done - R carbon fiber fairings
Done - Modify clutch and brake master to 848/1098 reservoirs
Done - Complete new clutch (basket, friction plates, pressure plate, bearing and springs

Enjoy the pictures, which probably is all that matters anyways

IMG_1095.jpeg IMG_1096.jpeg IMG_1104.jpeg IMG_1103.jpeg

IMG_1107.jpeg IMG_1108.jpeg IMG_1098.jpeg IMG_1102.jpeg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts