Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know I've seen plenty of performance reviews on these, but I'm looking for a daily, practical review and comparison. I'm looking for a 3rd bike to add to my collection ('10 RSV4 Factory & '15 race prepped RC390).

What I'm looking for is daily ridability, reliability, and just general gremlins/headaches.

For examples: 999S has the wiring harness issues that takes XYZ to fix. 1198S has the swelling gas tank issue that takes ABC to fix. 1198S has 5 year belts as opposed to 999S' 2 years belts. Etc.

I'm trying to get one as a track, some twisties & commuter bike. Probably ~5 track days per year on it, 1500 miles of street.

3rd option is RSV1000 Factory but I already have an Ape, want to try a Duc.

·
Administrator
13,029 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ducati.ms. Super glad to have you roaming our halls.

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section, that can help if there might be someone local to you give a hand or find new friends to take a ride.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I've got a 999R and 1098R. There's not much to comment about them with respect to reliability. The 999 dashes were known to fail sometimes for a variety of reasons and the 999 electrics are a bit more of a pain to work on. The potential for dash problems, probably cancels out the potential for swelling tanks on the 1X98.

The engine character is the biggest difference between the bikes in my experience. The 1X98 is a torque monster. The 999 is biased a bit more to high rpm power. I'd recommend riding them both and picking the one you like. I suspect you'll feel like the 999 is like a weak RSV4 whereas the 1X98 will be something very different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts