Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone out there. I'm EarlJ from a currently cold Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I've owned a few Ducatis over the years starting in 1992 with a 92 851 Strada with Aussie chip, Gio Ca Moto pipes and open airbox that I purchased when I was living in Arizona, the usual stuff for the time. A little later I found a 1980 Darmah SD that I mildly restored with a new paint bob, Conti pipes and repainted wheels. (This was bought cause I fell in love with a SS Darmah I borrowed from a mate to ride for TT week in 1989) Both were eventually sold and I went through a number of bikes in the meantime but never forgot the 851 with those Gio Ca Moto pipe. Such a bark! I could set off car alarms form 50 yards. Flash forward to 2016 where I sold my H-D XR1200 and bought a 1996 900ss in yellow. It had some cheapo pipes on it so in my hunt for new pipes I actually found a full Ducati Performance exhaust system on eBay, new in the box with all the wrappings on. Couldn't believe my eyes. Paired this with some 39mm CR carbs (which I hated) and had fun for a while. Sold this to help finance a mega Honda 750 4 proper cafe build (most of the proceeds into the engine). Also 4 years late project still ongoing but while waiting I got the bug again for an 851. My son, bless him sent me a post showing me a really nice 92 Strada at a shop in California. It had been modded with high pipes and carbon fenders. Aussie chip and open airbox as well of course. Just 2 owners. High mileage but well maintained and in great condition. The only thing I have done so far is change the oil when I got is delivered here in Wisconsin and then had the front and rear suspension rebuilt as it was knackered. Bought in June of this year. I want to return it to the low pipe Strada spec and have the Carbon front fender painted to match the bike. To that end here is my question or questions:

My bike is fitted with mufflers I'm unfamiliar with. They are carbon clad, round and labelled with Pare Industries and HP4. They have a pretty good sound but lack the snarl and bark of the Gio Ca Motos. Anyone know who made these or what they morphed into? They appear to be period items.

My other question is whether anyone has had any experience with Silmotor pipes? They seem to advertise heavily and have quite the showing on eBay but more the point they are on the of the very few outfits that appear to have pipes for our bikes. Are these any good? How do they sound without the dB killers?

Anyway sorry for the excruciatingly long post. Glad to be here.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Pare Industries makes cut to fit carbon fiber sheets among other things, but not exhausts. Just wrap.

Silmotor full exhausts pipes "bark", you would be happy.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,932 Posts
Silmotor is good quality. They're basically copies of the period Termignonis. And the reason you see them is because the other quality manufacturers aren't making new ones for these extinct and pretty low production models. Sounds like yours cans are probably resleeved other brand--maybe even Gia Ca Moto. Post pics and we may even be able to identify them from the end caps. And the good news is that high mount cans are in WAY higher demand than the low mount. Especially 30 years later, people aren't using these bikes as passenger haulers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses. I have attached a shot of my bike which shows the pipe detail. You'll have to expand it a bit to see the pipe detail. For some reason I don't know where the hell I got HP4 from. (the bike is in storage right now so my memory or "eggnog" caused this) They are labelled as Carbontech above the Pare Industries logo. Sorry bout that. Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,932 Posts
Quality appears decent, but they're not Termi or Gio Ca Moto. Carbontech may have just been a small brand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts