Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over at good 'ol SoupPlan:

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Mar/060315a.htm

Q. Do you think it's fair to say that the 999 is at the end of its life, or nearing it?

A. Well, we declared the death of the 998 too early. We clearly don't want to declare another one dead too early. But it has been on the market for quite a while now.

It's a divisive bike. Somebody liked it very much, somebody did not like it very much. And so, of course, we are looking at a substitute. But when and how, we still don't know. But I think that the new one will be more in the sign of tradition of Ducati. While the 999 was very forward and innovative and a kind of discontinuity with the past, it's hard to improve Michelangelo's Pieta, after all. And so I think that our decision which, with hindsight, maybe was not right, was to really go off the beaten track and try something very novelty. I think that we will try to go back to less angle and more round and stuff like that. But it still is a work in process, and we'll see what happens there.

·
Super Moderator
8,321 Posts
That´s intresting!

//amullo

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was on Ducati's Heritage site the other day and I noticed for the year 2000+, in the Photostory section, they don't even show one pic of the 999. It's barely mentioned in the History section as well...feel like Ducati themselves are trying hard not to remind people about that bike.

One of the reasons why I got my 749 was that I felt it was hard to keep up with the new Japanese bike releases every 2 years; that is, you feel like you have to upgrade to the "latest & greatest" all the time. Seems like from Minoli's comments that the 999 design may not last as long as the 916 after all.

Well anyways, think I'm just gonna enjoy riding instead of trying to keep up with a possible new superbike design...but then again, I'm sure I'll be tempted to trade up for a 1200cc "more round" Ducati Superbike in 2007/2008 ish..?? ah well ;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I went with Ducati over the Japanese offerings so that I could have something a little different. I went with the 749 over the 748 due to the advancements that they had made in the manufacturing process, technology, reliability, better build quality and all the other things I feel they did better "under the body work". However, the 749 does not even begin to compete with the 748 in the styling department.

I can't say I love the 749 styling as compared to the 748 as I don't but I guess I went with function over form which seems odd that I went with Ducati at all then. :D

I hope that they do change the 749/999 styling and go back to what the 748/998 is/was.

I will definitly be watching this closely.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts
Pyrate said:
... However, the 749 does not even begin to compete with the 748 in the styling department.

I can't say I love the 749 styling as compared to the 748 as I don't but I guess I went with function over form which seems odd that I went with Ducati at all then. :D

I hope that they do change the 749/999 styling and go back to what the 748/998 is/was.

I will definitly be watching this closely.
When the 999 came out I really didn't like it's look. People said it looked better "in person." I think there is some truth to that. But, compared to the 916 (which it was always destined to be compared with) it did not "flow." The "gills" in the nose, the silver "bread box" under the seat, and the add on looking "slats" on the side made it seem disjointed and busy imho. When they got rid of the top gills, gave it a black muffler and painted the bike black, it looked a lot better to my eye. I think "He whose name shall not be spoken" wanted to create a design that would have the same impact that the 916 had. He missed. What he missed was that "of a piece" visual feeling the 916 imparts. To that extent, he made a mistake. If Ducati takes the 999 design and "smooths" it out so that it looks simpler and flowing it will appeal to a broader group. At least, that's my take on it.

bruce19

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Just reading between the lines, sounds like they're going to revive some of the old styling cues.

It truly is a love/hate thing.

The MotoGP bike...that was very nice when they rolled it out. BTW, who designed that bike? Does anyone know? That could have easily sat next to my 998 in the garage.

It's going to be tough for Ducati to get right. They have a lot of heritage tied up in the 916 series bike. The perfect blend of its roots (Italian) and its function (racing). Too much and the alure is lost. Too little and it becomes a stale copy.

I can't wait to see what they come up with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I first saw the 999, I thought: what a weird looking bike. Being comfortable with the japanese styling and all.

But the look has grown on me because of that distinct design and characteristic. Maybe it's a design that only a Ducati owner can love.

I'm opposed to looking back at the 916. Just like I am opposed to retro Mustangs, Chargers and Camaros.

I've had my 999 for less than two months, I've gotten more "wow" comments than I've ever gotten regarding my Japanese or BMW motorcycles.

But most of all, I've really become impressed with the handling and performance of the bike. That has been the biggest surprise for me given all the don't-buy-a-ducati comments that were directed my way.

There doesn't seem to be any uproar or interest in the design of a Japanese litre bike even thought they get tweaked every two years. That tells me more aboutthe generic nature of some of those bikes and demonstrates that Ducati 999 evokes more passion among the Ducatisti than among owners or fans of other litre bikes. It's almost like it's more than just a machine ...

·
Premium Member
8,765 Posts
I think they should make subtle changes to the base 999 design. Make it look more exotic. The MV Agusta conveys that. I'm one that has grown to like the 999 design, being partial to the 916 for a long time. My only complaint has been the broadnest of the nose piece, it needs a nose job. Bottom line the 999 has not translated to increased sales, design could be part of the reason, but the high maintenance and initial buy in costs has more to do with it I think. The 999 is a luxury item, bring back the era of the IPOs and you'll see an increase in 999 sales.

·
Registered
85 HD, 87 Paso 750, 94 Bimota DB2, 94 GSXR750, 96 GSXR1100, 98 ST2, 00 R1, 01 M900, 02 748, 03 999
3,451 Posts
When I heard, and then saw, the new design, I hated it. I always loved the styling of the 916. In the spring of 2003, I noticed and read about people buying up the old inventory of the 2002 Superbikes, so......with only two yellow 748 monopostos left in the southeast, I bought one of them. I remember looking over the new 999 on the showroom floor when I went to sign the paperwork for the 748, and it wasn't too bad. Definitely better looking in person, and so much moreso in yellow.....just wasn't enough to make me want to stray from the yellow 748 I picked up. I still wouldn't turn down a yellow 749/999, though.....especially with a black frame and black exhaust.

·
Registered
30 Posts
to each his/her own....

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Maybe they could make "Superbike Classic". Sorta like "Coke Classic".

Why doesn't Ducati just buy MV.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Before anyone starts knocking the "retro styling cues" notion, let me demonstrate just a few other places it's being done:

Chevy

Ford

Dodge

And I think they all look great!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The MotoGP bike bodywork was designed in the UK by Alan Jenkins, the well known F-1 aero consultant, who remains the aero consultant to the Ducati MotoGP team.

NOTE !

On the MotoGP design you will not find the superflous "barge boards" that Terblanche incorporated into the 999 design. Un-necessary weight and drag are not a good desireable thing on a pure race bike, whereas on a production race bike....you run what the model came out with.

An aquaintance put Sharkskins on his 999R trackday bike before taking it to the out. When I saw it w/o the bargeboards it was a big "WOW".

For me, the it is a desireable bike design w/o those thangs. The slit pumpkin face and cyclops light are small issues compared to those truly ugly barge boards. Just my 20 cents.

level7 said:
Just reading between the lines, sounds like they're going to revive some of the old styling cues.

It truly is a love/hate thing.

The MotoGP bike...that was very nice when they rolled it out. BTW, who designed that bike? Does anyone know? That could have easily sat next to my 998 in the garage.

It's going to be tough for Ducati to get right. They have a lot of heritage tied up in the 916 series bike. The perfect blend of its roots (Italian) and its function (racing). Too much and the alure is lost. Too little and it becomes a stale copy.

I can't wait to see what they come up with.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
When the 999 came out . . . I bought a 998 monoposto. That's how much I liked the 999. Now - after a few years of getting used to the 999 - I really like it. So I guess it's time to change . . . :eek:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
geospencer said:
When the 999 came out . . . I bought a 998 monoposto. That's how much I liked the 999. Now - after a few years of getting used to the 999 - I really like it. So I guess it's time to change . . . :eek:
I know of someone that will buy your 998 from you. Look up DeputyDog's trials and tribulations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can be in minority here but 749/999 did have a WOW effect on me design wise.
No question 916/748/996/998 bike look great too, but the new design is just different and fresh.

You can't be stuck in the same decade forever, design concepts evolve. You may or may not like all of them. This seems to me like music or architecture. Sure classical architecture looks great, but so does modern. I don't try comparing and evaluating them side by side, they all have the right to exist and to be liked or not-liked.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Take the back half of the 999 including tank, slap a magnesium single-sided swingarm, traditional Ducati muffler system, add the 998 front half, slightly modernize the appearance of the 998 nose area and lamp assy...and call it perfection.

Purspeed's ultimate Duc.

G

·
i personally think the honda rebel is the best looking motorcycle EVER

haha jk its sad because there is actually a rebel in my garage...dont ask!

but i dunno i remeber they had just changed from the 998 to the 999 body style when i was picking up my first bike and all i could think was wth are these guys thinking! and i thought it was hidious...a few years later i own a 749( go figure) lol but you know i think its like anything ahead of its time its gotta grow on you...i have a feeling in years down the road people will truly appreciate it for a beautiful, unique, and extremely different design =)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally I really like the design of the 749/999. However I think it would be better looking with the exhaust style of the 748/916/998.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I am not sure if I am using the word in the proper context, but perhaps the 999's simply aren't photogenic. We've all seen chicks that look fine in person, but on film they are less than flattering.

In person, the 999's are damn good looking. At the same time, I look forward to the next design that may reflect the evolution of the 998 contrasted to the revolution of the 999.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts