Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
diezdiasdios
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,
I got kind of a wierd one with my '07 sport. Everything is fine, the bike runs great, and I'm about 1000 miles past a full Ducati 15K service.
My problem is that when I take the engine past a certain RPM my check engine light comes on.
From standstill it will come on and off around ^5500 RPM while shifting. When I get to my cruising RPM it turns off and stays off. Until I accelerate the next time...
The facts: Everything seems ok, I rang out the entire electrical system with my meter and got good continuity to ground off the DC neg. The engine temp is normal and never goes over 220 F. Fluid levels are good (duh). Fuses, terminals, leaks, sounds...nothing.
I would just take it into Ducati diagnostics but my nearest servicer is almost 4 hours away.
Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Check the wire to the oil temp sensor by the brake lever under the oil level window. If its loose, it will make your Check Engine light go off. Mine was doing the same thing till I happened to see the little boot on the oil temp sensor was loose. Wiggled it back on, no CEL. Pulled it off, CEL.

Hope this helps,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
diezdiasdios
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the wire to the oil temp sensor by the brake lever under the oil level window.

Thanks, Tmnstr, but no dice.

As a test, I just warmed the motor up and throttled while in neutral, and just like clockwork, the CEL came on past 5000 RPM.
Also, forgot to mention that I'm running a Termi ECU now, but the problem started hundreds of miles after the 15 K service and exhaust change.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I'll defer to the more technical members of the forum on this one :)

Good luck!

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
361 Posts
is it possible you got a bad tank of gas?

Are you running termis or other aftermarket exhaust? DP or aftermarket ECU? It sounds like it might be related to the O2 sensor or MAF sensor. Either dirty or failing or user defeated. Crank position sensor and throttle position sensor usually yield a non start situation.

·
Registered
361 Posts
just saw your latest post... when you installed termis and ECU did you take it to a dealer and have them connect them or did you just plug and go. You can't just plug and go.

·
diezdiasdios
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just saw your latest post... when you installed termis and ECU did you take it to a dealer and have them connect them or did you just plug and go. You can't just plug and go.
I am running termis, but had the ECU installed at the dealer when I did my 15K service, and I'm fairly sure this problem arose sometime after that mod.

I"ll take a look at the sensors.

Cheers

·
Registered
203 Posts
If your fuel/air ratio is too rich, it will cause the light to come on, but the bike will run fine. This happened to me when I installed Staintunes with a Fat duc o2 manipulator until I got the ratio just right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts