Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Recently got my bike running again, just in time for the snow and all that fun stuff. I've been having an intermittent issue though, and I'm looking for some input.

Vocaroo | Voice message

I uploaded a sound sample. The issue starts at :05 - when I hit the start button, it makes a sort of heavy click sound, but there is no physical thud to it (like if the starter motor were popping). Other times, the bike will start just fine. I'm thinking this is the fault of the battery, having sat around for two years without a tender.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, I should have clarified: I have a load tester in my workshop, and it says that my battery is still in working condition. Unfortunately, since it's difficult to replicate the problem it is equally difficult to diagnose it.

As far as maintenance, anything short of valve work I'm okay with. However, since it's currently on the charger, I'm unable to get readings from my meter. I should also clarify that the reason it's been two years is because it's been a bucket build of sorts, and it's taken a while to gather all the parts together on a university budget - rather than a simple lack of motivation.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Starting issues like this are pretty common with old batteries. Two years without use can damage the battery cells which would cause lower cold cranking amps/starter issues. Load tests will often say a battery with bad cells is ok, but unfortunately its not always true.

Best case scenario you have spare battery, worse case you buy a new battery and then possibly have a spare... haha

You could jumper a car battery to your motorcycle battery to test the starter; just make sure the car is not running or you'll get too many amps and will cause damage to your electrical system. (if you're unsure what i mean, research or don't continue)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it was a cheap battery to begin with. But, hooked a few of my older batteries together with diodes, clipped it in, and she started up. Now I just need to source some thicker wire for a ground cable.

Thanks guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts