Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Ducati Sport Classic GT1000 Intermittent Check Engine Light

I have a 2009 Ducati Sport Classic GT1000 that I bought used in May 23, 2012 on consignment in Houston, TX.
The history of it was not too well known - the owner had 4 bikes of various brands and wrecked one beyond repair so his wife sold the other 3. This was one of those being sold.

I purchased it with about 8k miles on it. It came with some various parts included.
One such part was a shim kit, but I have no idea if the 7.5k mile valve adjustment was ever done on it. I live in Kemah, Texas south of Houston. I have not wanted to spend $500 just to check if the valves have been adjusted, I’d rather do it myself.

I have done about 3 oil changes on it to flush it out, brake/clutch fluids, spark plugs (NGK DCPR8E), replaced rear brake pads, removed the large mirrors for end bar, removed the wind screen, replaced speed sensor cable, took the silencers off the Termi pipes (sounds good), replaced the battery, replaced the VRR and remounted it to the under side of the pan for air cooling, greased, checked chain, lubed, light bulb upgraded (PIAA Xtreme H4), clutch micro switch changed, tires changed, wash/clay/seal.

I continually ride it when the weather allows and it now has over 10k miles on it. I would like to do the valve adjustment on it myself but have not rounded up everything just yet to do it (nor the time).

She rides great but I have a few things I have noticed that I wanted to ask about.

About 5 times since I've owned it (not many since owning), it has had some non-starts or start then stop, but would be ok with very lightly balancing the throttle – and almost always on a warm start, not on cold starts. It would turn over and start but then die out if I didn’t feather the throttle. (I don't know if the ECU was ever remapped with the non-stock exhaust)

The issue that has shown up recently (about a month ago or so) is the CEL very intermittently turns on, but when the clutch is engaged or it is ridden for a while, the light goes out. The light does not stay on, and I'm not too sure how to retrieve a code from it if the light is off (or even when on if it were to stay on). I think it's a ground issue because the blinkers also don't work when the CEL is on, but if I engage the clutch then they do. I also changed out the clutch micro switch. The headlight also changes brightness when the CEL issue shows up. Once the CEL is off everything works out fine, there are no issues.

I’m looking to get things to do both the valve adjustments as well as remap the ECU.

Any suggestions on what the CEL may be or has anyone else run across a similar issue – I am very much thinking it is a ground issue, but not sure where to start to look (took a look at the wiring diagram and the grounding issue could be anywhere with how the clutch, lights, etc are tied together)?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Make sure the oil temp bulb wire isn't loose. That can throw an intermittent CEL.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Check your R/R (regulator/rectifier). Acidic smell, browning of the wires at the plug and/or the R/R are two indicators of it going bad. Fuel injection systems are voltage and current dependent so to have a properly running system you must have perfect power. So all this means is make sure you test your power generation & regulation system. Good battery, good R/R.

Visually inspect and make sure all connectors are in place, firmly connected, and you can see no obvious "repairs". The shop manual has a few pages where it shows the wiring harness, connectors, and where it's all located.

Assuming the husband isn't dead or in a coma (though my wife would be if she sold my bike from under me!) try to get a hold of the person and see if they have receipts or if they took it to a dealership, independent shop, or did the work themselves.

A couple of good pictures, both sides, can help us see what else you've got if you don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
Oh, to get the OBD codes you need the VDST or similar. The dealership will have one. There's no "manual" way to get then yourself via blinking light or LCD on the dashboard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tmnstr and Air Cooled.

Tmnstr - I'll check the oil temp bulb and some of those wires near the cluster.

Air Cooled - The battery is fresh (a few months old) and charged, the VRR is also a few months old and those connections look good and there isn't a burned smell or visual. Unfortunately, the owner was in a very bad wreck (hospitalized) on his other bike that was the reason for the mass selling and little to no contact. From the looks of the things there were some self fixes done here and there on the bike. Thanks for the info on the getting codes read.

I'll try to get some pix taken and loaded as well as double check some of the light connectors (oil temp as well as any near the cluster to see if they have become loose).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts