Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Interesting topic on Ducati dealership

6K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  ZDM 
#1 ·
#5 ·
He wouldn't be the first s1krr rider to complain about Ducati throttle response. :) If I read one thing about those bikes, as agreed upon by all reviewers, it's that they are the easiest RR bike to ride fast out there, closely followed by the CBR1Krr, another "Japanese" bike. :) Ducatis OTOH, take more skill than just being able to buy one in order to ride them proficiently, and it looks like in the hands of very skilled riders, like those at the WSBK level, they do alright. ;)

In any case, who cares? :)

#6 ·
No Ducati superbike should be a first bike.That sounds like a recipe to make my insurance go up..

lol, (another "Japanese" bike).. Thats funny.

#14 ·
Exactly...ride what you love. :) But speaking of plus and minuses, they've all got 'em. :)

Clipped from another current thread re posts on quality of ownership experience, as in German vs Italian:

German crap.

Don't let me begin to tell you the major issues I have with my BMW S1000RR. Engine replacements, lock ups, rocks in the crank case sounds, brake pads that fall out as they wear, very bad forks and shock.... dead ECU, and loose timing chains. The Germans tell you the way it going to be, if you don't like it...your the one thats wrong.

#9 ·
Hehe.

You are 100% correct. I can't drive even to 50% of what the 1199 is capable of, nor the S1000RR. But what I CAN do is ride in a straight line at a constant speed going 40mph in 2nd gear.
What the Duc CAN'T do is maintain that constant 40mph in 2nd gear. It either lurches forwards, or backwards. The engine smoothness below 8000rpm is non-existant. Also, as it lurches back and forth, it's burning my legs!
SHIFT! :D

#12 ·
It's not wine that they drink, it's Kool-Aid! The OP on the BMW site sounds like a 30 year old with a 12 year old brain. If his Ducati was lurching at 8 thousand rpm I think there's something more to that story. In fact I haven't heard so much B.S. since Rawhide went off the air. I was almost going to register on that site just to make some comments but it would be pointless in the end. Is he a troll? Perhaps, but I think he really needs to grow up and get a Rebel instead of what he has. And then he should take an MSF basic class.

Rick

#15 ·
Oh you guys are starting to sound JUST like them. If you say the S1000rr is an inferior bike you are crazy, because almost every magazine will disagree with you. They are both awesome, they are both different.

#16 ·
I read the entire BMW forum thread yesterday and, while there were some Duc bashers, there were a lot of defenders as well.

In my opinion, most of the people that "got" it, understood that whatever comment the girl said was because the guy was a brand new rider with an attitude of "I want the best" and not the skill to ride the best.

As I've seen in this thread and the BMW one, and from my own experience, it would seem that most people with enough experience on motorcycles would agree that an 1199 Panigale or an S1000RR is (to put it mildly) not a great idea for a starter bike!

As others have stated, every manufacturer has their issues. I currently ride a Diavel, and my previous bike was a BMW K1200R; I freaking loved that bike. Unfortunately, at around 8500 miles or so, my K12R developed a second gear issue where it would pop out and then back into gear under moderate acceleration. That was awesome when I found that out at a track day, by the way.

I love BMW cars and bikes, and have always loved Ducatis since before I started riding. My 748S had bizarre electrical issues when it rained, and a warranty clutch replacement at the 6k mile service.

Who cares?! I still love 748S's and K1200R's, and would buy another one of either if given the chance.

But neither of those bikes, nor my Diavel, was my first bike. And that's what the main issue is with this dude. I would not take what a brand new rider says in their description of any bike, much less an 1199 or an S1000RR, to be gospel or even half-meaningful. When I got my first bike I barely knew what gear I was in half the time!

Just my $0.02.

Oh and, looks wise, the S1000RR is the ugly (but not fat) sister of the 1199. :D

#20 ·
I read the entire BMW forum thread yesterday and, while there were some Duc bashers, there were a lot of defenders as well.
I think with most REAL motorcycle enthusiasts you will not see much bashing from either side. Maybe the occasional "ribbing" or joking between brands, but anyone who has half a clue knows that any bike in this category is a great bike. They all have their differences but at the end of the day they all are capable of going around the track at similar speeds and much faster than any of us can do including the rider in question who supposedly just bought this is his first bike.

I hope nobody takes this thread too seriously on either side. It is fun too watch though. :D

#17 ·
Money doesnt buy you (OP on BMW site) skill nor wisdom, nor maturity.

I'm riding the slowest sport type bike Ive ever owned and its a hoot.

Just because you can afford it, doesnt mean you should.

bob

#23 · (Edited)
There was a guy on this site that wanted to buy a new superbike as his first bike. As I recall he was a software guy and was driven by what he read rather than what he knew. This was maybe 6 months ago, although I could be off there.

Everybody (mostly) told him to begin with a starter bike to gain some experience.

He rejected the advice and seem to take the rejection personally. "It's my money and I can spend it anyway I want".

I wonder if it the same guy???

I can't imagine, very first bike ever, him crusing in 2nd gear at 40mph on a panigali. Throttle is a light switch when on race throttle map.

probably scared to death , blaming bike on his shortcomings. Can you imagine if he ever saw all 170hp (??) at once, rather than the 30-40 he;s seen so far.

bob

#24 ·
There was a guy on this site that wanted to buy a new superbike as his first bike. As I recall he was a software guy and was driven by what he read rather then what he knew. This was maybe 6 months ago, although I could be off there.

Everybody (mostly) told him to begin with a starter bike to gain some experience.

He rejected the advice and seem to take the rejection personally. "It's my money and I can spend it anyway I want".

I wonder if it the same guy???

I can't imagine, very first bike ever, him crusing in 2nd gear at 40mph on a panigali. Throttle is a light switch when on race throttle map.

probably scared to death , blaming bike on his shortcomings. Can you imagine if he ever saw all 170hp (??) at once, rather than the 30-40 he;s seen so far.

bob
That always annoys the hell out of me. They ask for advice, you give it to them, and just because it's not what they wanted to hear, you're all of a sudden "attacking them." Then out comes the trump card, its my money and my choice. Why bother asking for advice. Just say, "Passed the MSF and bough a pani, wish me luck."

#30 ·
So guy buys a bike because someone said it was the best???
Strange ... He doesn't deserve it if he didn't do some real research...
Sure he owns it , that is all so far..

Needs someone who knows what they are doing to tweak it , to get it to run for his style of riding...

His bike he should not care or be concerened about what others think or say .
Just ride and enjoy at ones own pace.

In OVER HIS HEAD ....and sinking fast...
Buyers remorse, should think things out first...

Looking for some Justification to get rid of it...

#44 ·
Damn that takes me back to the bad ol days when I haunted the sportbike forums. You could expect threads like that on a weekly or even daily basis. A lot of trolling, squids, big egos and trash talk... There were a lot of young and new riders who would talk big all the time and butt heads with each other.

The dark side of all that was that every year there would be a half dozen (or more) "RIP" threads, even on relatively small local boards. Doesn't take a statistician to figure out what was going on.

Which is why I love MS and Duc riders in general. Seems we almost never descend into those depths of online hate mongering. We just like to ride and talk about it. We treat each other with respect. And we seem to be safer in general.

Let's keep it that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.