Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Interesting article. Thank you for sharing. My mtb helmets use MIPS technology. Seems to make sense. Kind of curious how manufacturers could make that system work in motorcycle helmets that tend to fit very snugly. How to make the helmet move during rotational impacts while remaining stable during high speed riding and resulting wind forces, if that would even be a concern.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,380 Posts
I've been wearing POC Octal MIPS equipped cycling helmets for years now. I've also got a MET Trenta and a Mavic Ksyrium Pro cycling helmet that are equipped with MIPS as well. The pace at which technology moves these days my MIPS equipped cycling helmets are practically dinosaurs by now.

Been wearing a coupla new POC Ventral and Ventral Air SPIN equipped helmets the last two years.

MIPS technology is proven,functional,and cool and all but I don't think it would integrate all that well into a motorcycle helmet. Might be kinda bulky and make the helmet shell a bit larger to accommodate it.
I could however see the POC SPIN technology being used as it would most likely be easier to package inside the helmet shell.

·
Registered
99' 996
623 Posts
Doing a search for MIPS helmet there are 171 results on Revzilla. Motorcycle helmet manufacturers have been offering them for a few years now. They just dont really push the advertising for whatever reason.

I am going to have to buy a new helmet and have been doing a ton of reading, especially about the different approval methods. After consuming and processing all of the available info my next helmet will be an FIM rated helmet. The FIM standard next levels the others when it comes to rotational impact. And there are some surprisingly good values to be had.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Doing a search for MIPS helmet there are 171 results on Revzilla. Motorcycle helmet manufacturers have been offering them for a few years now. They just dont really push the advertising for whatever reason.

I am going to have to buy a new helmet and have been doing a ton of reading, especially about the different approval methods. After consuming and processing all of the available info my next helmet will be an FIM rated helmet. The FIM standard next levels the others when it comes to rotational impact. And there are some surprisingly good values to be had.
In full face street there are only 18
Results for MIPS

·
Registered
99' 996
623 Posts
They are out there is my point. At the end of the day whether they are or arent really doesnt matter if people arent educating themselves and buying them. I have more than a few friends that ride that dont even own an actual DOT rated helmet. They are knockoffs labeled DOT. How do you think that will work out in a crash.

·
27,785 Posts
Yeah, motorcycle helmet technology is stuck in the stone age. I mean really, styrofoam? I just don't think there's much going on in helmet design despite the ad copy from Arai, Shoei, etc.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Oh I bought one tonight, the Bell Qualifier DLX MIPS, I've been looking for a while and a sale price was just enough to pull me in. I have two excellent Arai helmets, one flows more air and is noisy, the other lighter and quieter. Since both are 3 years old I thought it was time for some new tech, but the extra time I took researching was mostly over the flip up chin bar type vs the couple of full face styles available.

MIPS was the tipping point, this is the third article I've seen on it and a few YTube videos that all make some solid reasoning over their system being safer in real world crashes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Have you seen the yellow MIPs slip plane inside the helmets? I dont think it makes the shell that much, if any, larger.

I wish I remember where I read it, and maybe I made it up, but I swear I saw someone estimate it would cost a manufacturer $50 a helmet to implement MIPs. I'd pay an extra $50 to have MIPs in some of my favorite helmets.

I'm wearing a Bell Helmet with MIPs. I think its a Bell Star...

·
Registered
99' 996
623 Posts
Something that didnt cross my mind last night, I think some manufacturers are doing something similar and just not licensing the technology and calling it MIPS. If you look at some of the FIM helmets for example. After shopping around I was going to give the Scorpion Exo R1 a try. If you look at the construction it uses if I recall 5 layers of different density and types of foam to allow for some of the same motion to mitigate the rotational forces.

If you havent read about it I would suggest looking into it. The certification process for FIM is intense, and its designed around the rotational impacts and those kind of forces.

·
Registered
2020 Ducati Hyper950 SP
81 Posts
The 6D version/marketing of MIPS (omni-direction they call it) has these little all-direction nodes between the two shells.

The shell isn’t massive by any means. I’d say, it’s within 1/8-3/16” or about 3mm of other size medium helmets.

I didn’t realize other manufacturers, like Bell were doing this. That’s cool to learn. I specifically decided to gamble on these guys to support something new and interesting to me.

Helmet Sports gear Cap Sports equipment Bag

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you havent read about it I would suggest looking into it. The certification process for FIM is intense, and its designed around the rotational impacts and those kind of forces.
This is very true. You'll find that with some FIM helmets, only certain SIZES of that helmet are FIM rated, due to the process being very expensive. For example: FQ20 wears a size small, so why try to get a large homologated?

Reactions: chris_f
1 - 13 of 13 Posts