Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't in the market, but this thing was stupid cheap so I couldn't pass it up. Has some killer parts on it. Does it run you ask? No. The PO lost the keys, and I believe he thought that it has an immobilizer. Once I get that it will be good to go (I hope).

I hate people who mistreat bikes. This thing was neglected. Pretty sure the clutch has never been bled. It looked a milkshake coming out. Also the thing had AT LEAST 2+ extra qts of oil in it. The oil seemed brand new so hopefully it wasnt ran like that.

The good:
Actually has service records from a local reputable shop! regular maintenance was more or less done, even though its been neglected for a few years.
Arrow exhaust
Ohlins rear
SBK fork upgrade with IMA triples
Rizoma rearsets
Rizoma reservoirs
CRG levers

Going to throw some regular bars on it and get maintenance up.

I come from the supersport world so this bike is exactly the same as my other bike as far as mechanical knowledge is concerned.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Weird. Common for the pressure plate to be worn through??

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
There's essentially no wall thickness at that spot. My SP3 and M900 were like that from almost new. Ride on.....

Reactions: bykemike and amehl

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
the pressing question is what did you hand him for it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think those bars are pretty hot actually, I think you can run them above the top clamp if they are too low for your tastes(or back)

BTW the pressure plate on my 999 looked just like that and I asked the same question and got the same answer "they all do that" :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Right on! I've watched that poor bike make the rounds on C-list up there in Portland for some time. I saw the price for it this go around and almost jumped at it.

Reactions: amehl

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think those bars are pretty hot actually, I think you can run them above the top clamp if they are too low for your tastes(or back)
The bars are awful. I already have a supersport if i want to punish my back and knees. The whole point of this bike is to have something comfortable. so im putting risers on it. Good to know about the pressure plate though! Wanted to buy a billet one but i need to keep this thing a budget build.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ducati Performance pressure plate

I have a perfectly good Ducati Performance Pressure plate with stainless steel springs, caps and bolts for you if your interested...it's gold, would suite your bike color just fine. (I put in a new clutch & went in another direction for the pressure plate)

Let me know

L8tr
Pete

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a perfectly good Ducati Performance Pressure plate with stainless steel springs, caps and bolts for you if your interested.
Let me see if the damn thing even works first. HA!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Going to be beautiful when you're done with it! Did the previous owner(s?) respring/revalve those forks? or is that not necessary?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to be beautiful when you're done with it! Did the previous owner(s?) respring/revalve those forks? or is that not necessary?
Wouldnt need to revalve forks. They will be good enough for street duty. I will give them a quick refresh and change the oil though. They feel great at the moment.

Unfortunately the rear looks way over-due for service and the PO took off the fender so its been hammered with road debris.

Anyone have a spare fender? :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
still havent started it (waiting on the key) but im freshening it up. Plugs look like crap.horizontal was soaked in gas, vertical was roasted. Would the plug wires be worth replacing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
generally plug wires won't manke a difference unless you have a break in one or poor connection. On newer bikes with ion sensing sytems, the replacements (aftermarket) aren't even always compatible for knock detection for efi.

On a side note, it is common for the pressure plate to wear on harley open belt drives systems and the dogs are a regularly replaced item

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's running! Got the new keys and it sounds good. Belts seem to be about where they need to to. The PO claimed there was some sort of oil leak, so I will ride it a few times to see if thats an issue, then order new belts. As mentioned, it was over-filled with oil. Looks like the overflow, case breather and airbox all had oil in them, which leads me to believe that there is no leak and it was just puking extra oil.

A little oil in the air box.

Drained fuel and a new filter:

OFFICIALLY THE WORLDS TIGHTEST OIL FILTER!!! broke my tool getting it off. what a pain!

Just putting on flat bars and it's good to go!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Congrats! That bike has a lot of nice parts on it. You're going to really enjoy it when you get it sorted.

I have a 1996 M900 that had been neglected by the previous owner(s). Mine was overfilled by a full quart. I think the guy checked the oil level with the bike on the sidestand. All good now. I've had it for five years now and I love riding it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Maiden voyage was yesterday. A little discouraging.... Its definitely leaking oil from somewhere. It's hitting the pipe and smoking. BUT no smoke out of the exhaust and the engine really seems to be fine. Maybe some seals or gaskets somewhere.

Also, the thing handled like absolute garbage. I filled the tires up last week, but it felt like it was flat on the front. maybe the forks are too low as well. it was twitchy and I was fighting it on every turn...

Pic of the oil hitting the pipes:

Looks like some oil moisture on the front/back of the motor. The front looked like it was from the over-flow.

Definitely some oil by the sprocket.

I checked the case and side cover bolts and they did seem slightly loose. As I said, no smoke from the motor, and no oil pressure light so im hoping seals or something. I am concerned that the old filter was so tight, I am hoping that didnt mar something up an cause it to leak around the filter. really hard to tell where it's coming from...

Anything specific I should check? My supersport has 17k on it and I havent had these issues.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts