Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the owners manual after taking delivery of the bike (OK so I was bored at work and wanted to make sure I fully understood all the features on the digital display) and noted two things of interest.

1.) It recommends 95 octane gas, minimum. I don't know about you but there is no where near me that carries that high of an octane fuel. I'm fortunate enough to have 93 octane but in the midwest 91 is usually the highest you can find. This may not be news to most of you but it was to me.

2.) It mentions an -8% deviation on speedometer reading. That is a little more than what I've experienced in the past, which is around 3-4%. But I've never seen it quantified in the owners manual before. I plan to take my Garmin out to verify one of these days. That's 5 mph off at 70mph.

Just pointing this out to those of you who never crack the cover ;).

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
I would say are you sure about the gas. Of course if you are,, I feel dumb for asking.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I'm sure and found it surprising which is why I posted it here. In fact it is mentioned twice.

Refuelling on Pg. 79- "95 minimum"
Technical Data on pg. 106- "95 octane (at least)".

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
well SHOOT... I only remember one place that had 96 octane. I remember thinking,, who the hell would need that?!?!.. now I know..

·
Registered
132 Posts
well SHOOT... I only remember one place that had 96 octane. I remember thinking,, who the hell would need that?!?!.. now I know..
I would guess that something was lost in translation. 95-96 RON would be a European rating and maybe the conversion didn't go quite right.

However the 91 vs 93 would be interesting. In most of my experiences it becomes difficult to find 93 once you go west of the Mississippi River.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right about the Octane ratings west of the Mississippi. My folks live in MO and 91 is the highest they have.

And I think you are right about the European rating. I read in another post that 95 is roughly equivalent to 89 here in the good ol' US of A. I'm thinking that Ducati probably didn't convert to US measures in the book.
Here's the link:

http://www.ducatispot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4192

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
HI All,
Here's an explanation from WIKI about converting RON to AKI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

long story short, 97-98 RON is equivalent to 93 in the US.

Chris

Anti-Knock Index (AKI)

In most countries, including all of those of Europe, and Australia, the "headline" octane rating shown on the pump is the RON - but in the United States, Canada, and some other countries,[which?] the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI). It may also sometimes be called the Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2.

[edit] Difference between RON and AKI

Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane rating shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere. 87 AKI octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, is 91–92 RON in Europe. 93 AKI octane fuel, the "premium" gasoline, is 97-98 RON in Europe.

However most European pumps deliver 95 RON as "EuroSuper" or "EuroPremium" (equivalent to 90–91 AKI). In Germany, Great Britain and some other countries, 98 RON as "SuperPlus" (93-94 AKI) is available almost everywhere. Even 100 RON (95-96 AKI), is widely sold, and BP sell 102 RON, marketed as "BP Ultimate 102", at some very select few filling stations.[2>>>>

·
Registered
736 Posts
I run 87 in both my Acura TL and ZRX1200 and they both "require" 91. I have 33,000 miles on the ZRX and 30,000 on the TL and have never noticed any pinging. Sure, I might lose a few HP but for .20/gal difference, I can live with it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't know about motorcycle fueling computers, but in relation to your car, the manufacturer has designed enough latitude into the electronic tables that control timing that you *could* put 87 octane in your car (even if premium is required) and it will run fine. However at that octane rating you will lose performance *and* economy (particularly with Honda's high compression ratio engines). Whether you can "feel" the difference when you drive is subjective and most people can't. The manufacturers increasingly require premium fuel to maximize the performance figures and economy figures. The better premium fuels are also typically cleaner burning with less carbon and bi-product buildup which is good for the longevity of the engine.

So you can run the lower octane in cars (in most cases) with no problems. You'll just lose some performance and economy.

- jamie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts