Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of our members started a thread about getting gouged when he found out the cost to get his 999 serviced.A member, LaRossa, I believe, posted this article from Bikeland which I found very interesting. I'm not sure to many members gave it a look, given the fact it was the last post....Hmm
Here's the link to the article:

http://www.bikeland.org/story.php?storyID=30661

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great article.
As always...buyer beware. Be educated before you take your bike in for a service.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
this artical has been beat to death.use the search button.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Sweet!! 15000 mile service - $ 362.20

I was quoted $2500.00 for that one on my 999S............

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I did my 848 myself at 9500 miles (first service) The belts were 100% ok, the shims were 95% ok, I had two closers that had a pretty big gap, but nothing that couldn't have waited for another 2,500 miles for the 12,000 mile service.

Needless to say, the new bikes are better with service then the old ones. It takes 30 minutes to check the belt tension, but clearances take a much longer time.

If you rely on your local Ducati dealer to charge you for service; Drop it off to them, have them do only what DNA recommends and if the bike fails, just write DNA a letter saying it was there fault. I personally think these new bikes are super reliable, besides the standard issues like poor valve guides... needless to say, you really shouldn't have a problem changing the oil and riding the bike for a longer period of time in between services.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I personally think these new bikes are super reliable, besides the standard issues like poor valve guides...
poor valve guides? really?

Ducati dealers aren't the only culprits. The two large multi-asian brand stealerships at my previous location were just as bad...

-Basic 600mi service ran on average $200-350 depending on bike and how stupid you looked at that time.

-$18 for an OEM oil filter for a CBR 600rr, just as much per liter of quality synthetic; plus 1-1.5 hours at $85/hr labor (to their credit, a 600rr is a PITA to strip down)

- $375+ for a set of Pilot Power PLUS 1 hour labor to mount/balance install; when asked about bringing wheels off bike with tires, 1 hour labor each wheel.... Oh yeah, the Yamaha dealership wouldn't honor Michelin's 2CT recall on a Ducati (749) either for "liabilty" reasons.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Prices

I wish that someone would also do a study of the price of parts at different dealers. From what I can tell they just make it up as they go along. Maybe we should do a survey of common replacement parts prices here.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I posted the thread about the gouge at the dealer. In the article they mentioned the dealer I went to.

"That's a bargain compared to Monterey Peninsula Sports.

Located only a short drive from Ducati North America's headquarters, Jeff from this dealership knows a lot more than the OEM does. He informs us that the 1098 needs a three and a half hour service. When the one hour recommended service is pointed out to him, Jeff tells us that the people he's talked to at Ducati service say "you should check the belts" and that waiting to check them until the recommended 7500 miles is "too long" and that the 1098's he's checked have had loose belts already.

When we again tell him that DNA recommends one hour, he told us "Ducati says one hour but the reality is it takes longer" - at least two hours for the minimum service he points out.

Is this an issue of honesty, price gouging or simply a lack of education on the part of Ducati dealers? We're not sure - but from a consumer's standpoint it doesn't really matter. It comes down to this: when you're marketed a vehicle that requires less maintenance as a selling feature and you're told so repeatedly in marketing campaigns, what on Earth would prompt the OEM's dealer network to work to the contrary of this?"

I had heard good things about thier work in Monterey; which may have more to do with thier competency in the shop as opposed to the honesty of the managment. I don't think I'm going to wait to find out.

So I am now up in San Francisco and will try Munroe-again I heard good things so we'll see. I did stop by a few weeks ago at Munroe and asked for some prices on a sprocket/chain/and a carrier. The prices they gave me were lower or matched everything I found on the net, so that's a good sign.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pro-Italia in Glendale, CA charged me $180 labor for two tires. I should have asked the labor charge ahead of time. Apparently they charge $60/half hour. :eek:

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pro-Italia in Glendale, CA charged me $180 labor for two tires. I should have asked the labor charge ahead of time. Apparently they charge $60/half hour. :eek:
I needed to get my 999 a state inspection by last Saturday. I had already purchased a front tire at a bargain, put some new brakes in my self. I think the Ducati dealer quote was $150 per side-labor and pads. The Ducati dealer also wanted $30 pas/fail for a PA state inspection, the fee is $24, so I don't know why the dealership was charging that-I guess it was because they could? They also charged $85 to R and R a tire, balance the new one. Anyway went to a local shop, owned by a couple of guys. They inspected my 999 for $24,it needed a new rear tire too, as well as mounting and balancing the new one I bought to them. All together I saved $6 on inspection,$110 mount and balance fees and $100 on a purchase of a rear tire. Grand total: $216 that's alot of money, not to mention the $100+ I saved spending 20minutes installing my own brake pads.
I like contributing to my local Ducati dealer, but just can't for these wear items anymore.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used to think taking my amg merc to the stealers was a knightmare, the local duke dealer put me straight there. Apart from not great service, only open a few hours all weekend and markup you wouldn't believe. Im so happy I found a mechanic close who racers bikes and seem very fair. Between him and the fun i like to have in the garage i'm content without the dealer.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I used to think taking my amg merc to the stealers was a knightmare, the local duke dealer put me straight there. Apart from not great service, only open a few hours all weekend and markup you wouldn't believe. Im so happy I found a mechanic close who racers bikes and seem very fair. Between him and the fun i like to have in the garage i'm content without the dealer.
Dude...What?

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
My bike was originally purchased at Dunbar Euro motorsports and I may or may not go there for it's first service. I bought it with 47 miles on it and will probably just do oil change and filter at 600m.. Those cam belts do not look like they move much, seem tight as hell so far. Might try a couple dealers in NH for service.

·
Registered
30 Posts
http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinort...FU4DA2WV0KTGWCRNCB3CFFIKFUIHSIV1?newsId=28681

sounds like ducati may have heard the cries of the people that just because the new bikes didnt "need" more work didnt mean the customers wernt still getting nailed for decent sized bills. something tells me they wont be paying the dealers for 4 hours of service on a "1 hour job". then again it could lead to dealers taking a loss if it IS taking them longer and maybe cause some corner cutting time wise and a sacrifice to quality??? no one wants an angry mechanic working on their ride.
at least you know a ducati twin doesnt need to be in the shop every 2500 miles like a harley!

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinort...FU4DA2WV0KTGWCRNCB3CFFIKFUIHSIV1?newsId=28681

sounds like ducati may have heard the cries of the people that just because the new bikes didnt "need" more work didnt mean the customers wernt still getting nailed for decent sized bills. something tells me they wont be paying the dealers for 4 hours of service on a "1 hour job". then again it could lead to dealers taking a loss if it IS taking them longer and maybe cause some corner cutting time wise and a sacrifice to quality??? no one wants an angry mechanic working on their ride.
at least you know a ducati twin doesnt need to be in the shop every 2500 miles like a harley!
If this be the case in the future then I will get rid of that maintenance money pit and go back to a Honda or Kawasaki. I love my 999, but if things get that bad to cause a certified Ducati tech to do a half arse job on my bike, you can be sure it will go and I won't be the only one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If this be the case in the future then I will get rid of that maintenance money pit and go back to a Honda or Kawasaki. I love my 999, but if things get that bad to cause a certified Ducati tech to do a half arse job on my bike, you can be sure it will go and I won't be the only one.
i didnt mean to imply that they WOULD do a less than spectacular job but i guess you just never know how some people might respond to a program where they are feeling shortchanged and all of a sudden you are getting a kick back from DNA for $X and it took your tech 3+ hours and you had to pay your tech $Y and parts cost you $Z and so on... feelings get hurt when people lose money, i dont know? hell maybe the dealers find it a great program... as a customer it would seem nice knowing things are "taken care of" even VW has a similar program (i think) or maybe its BMW for the car line (not bikes)?

·
Registered
56 Posts
i didnt mean to imply that they WOULD do a less than spectacular job but i guess you just never know how some people might respond to a program where they are feeling shortchanged and all of a sudden you are getting a kick back from DNA for $X and it took your tech 3+ hours and you had to pay your tech $Y and parts cost you $Z and so on... feelings get hurt when people lose money, i dont know? hell maybe the dealers find it a great program... as a customer it would seem nice knowing things are "taken care of" even VW has a similar program (i think) or maybe its BMW for the car line (not bikes)?
It's BMW that does it. ;) My next car may very well be one after having my '09 Subaru WRX's engine go out with less than 4000 miles on it, crap customer service from the service department, and the cold shoulder from SOA. Seems it'd be so much easier to just not have to go through all that hassle. I'm glad Ducati has taken the same $0 maintenance approach.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's BMW that does it. ;) My next car may very well be one after having my '09 Subaru WRX's engine go out with less than 4000 miles on it, crap customer service from the service department, and the cold shoulder from SOA. Seems it'd be so much easier to just not have to go through all that hassle. I'm glad Ducati has taken the same $0 maintenance approach.
see thats all i was saying is that it could be a great way to build new customers and keep long time ducati riders happy, as long as everyone gets a good deal we can all go home happy.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts