Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I'm a long-time owner of a '95 900SS, and I've started to make a habit over the past months of drooling over the new 848 on a pretty regular basis. Great looking bike, and power and size is probably more on a par for me, personally, than a Panigale, which is obviously easily as gorgeous.
On the one hand, an extreme-posture sportbike is not really what I need these days in my mid-fifties, but on the other, I just can't get this beauty out of my head. Having fallen in love much the same way when the 916 first came out, with a young family back then, I couldn't rationalise the considerable expense, so the 900SS was my "compromise" instead. So as much as this bike may not make a lot of sense for all the "sensible" reasons, I don't feel like missing out on a bike I really love all over again.
So...I'd like to hear what owners' - or those that have had any decent saddle time with one - overall opinions and impressions are.
(*For reasons of fitment concerns, I'm 55, in pretty decent shape, 6', 175 lbs.)

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I had an early 2011 evo last year and sold it. Have regretted that for about 6 months.
Bought a hyper 2008 s to replace the evo and have loved the ease, speed, handling and passenger friendly style (after a seat mod) of the thing. My local roads are fast tight twisties so the hyper is loving it.

But have just bought a 1098 project that will look like the stealth that was sold. Some of us need a superbike in the family I'm 200lbs, 6' and 54

They both stay now. No one will be getting sold this time.

The evo now is better than ever with all the electronic bits and pieces if you like that sort of thing. Me, I'm happy without the extra electronics. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The evo now is better than ever with all the electronic bits and pieces if you like that sort of thing. Me, I'm happy without the extra electronics. :)
I'm with you there - hence my long-term relationship with a '95 900SS.
However...these days, I'm beginning to think that maybe the electrical nursemaids might just come in handy "in case of emergency"... ;)

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
I bought my 848 last July and all I can say when I first got on it you couldn't wipe the smile on my face, I absolutely love this bike because its not too big for me and it's nimble, perfect for city riding and it has the looks to die for!

I was looking at the Panigale before I made my decision on the 848, the reason I went with the 848 is because to me aesthetically wise it's a much nicer looking bike and the fact that I like the red trellis frame!

I would say go for it and get an 848/1098/1198 style if you really love the style don't hold back because like you said...if you miss out then you will regret it...you only live once and why not enjoy it! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
my .02.

I turned 40 last year in June. And have always wanted a Ducati since the 916.
Well wouldn't you know it my wife decided to go to the International motorcycle show with me last year in Jan. She actually made me sit on the 848,and I was like what the heck. Either way, she told me I should get one and I did (Most of my friend's tell me once you get permission, run with it). The day I picked it up was one of the most nervous and excited days in my life. I went 2 hours away to pick the bike up. Needless to say I was a bit sore from the riding position(new to me), but OMG it was so worth it.

I would say to at least give it a try, if you have any dealers with test bikes or even used ones for you to ride.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought my 848 last July and all I can say when I first got on it you couldn't wipe the smile on my face, I absolutely love this bike because its not too big for me and it's nimble, perfect for city riding and it has the looks to die for!

I was looking at the Panigale before I made my decision on the 848, the reason I went with the 848 is because to me aesthetically wise it's a much nicer looking bike and the fact that I like the red trellis frame!

I would say go for it and get an 848/1098/1198 style if you really love the style don't hold back because like you said...if you miss out then you will regret it...you only live once and why not enjoy it! :D
All my same thoughts, exactly!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since you did mention you didn't want the extreme posture, I have to join in. :)

I've ridden the 848 and the Pani back to back, and really, since you do mention ergos, I'd strongly recommend waiting for a used Pani at your price point.

To answer your physique point, I'm 46, 5'10, 175lbs and workout heavily. The 848 is a great trackday and twisties platform, but if you spend any time on the slab or city riding, the riding position is just too extreme. You are much better off going with the Streetfighter 848 if you want to stick with the 'smaller' engine size or price tag.

Whatever you decide, enjoy!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had a 2006 monster for four years and loved every minute of it but once i was able to get the stealth Black 848 last August I did and never looked back as I am roughly the same build as you 175lbs 6' I would say this bike has fit me beautifully and have had no complaints as far as comfort hope to see you on one soon

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have a 2012 Corse SE in the garage (along with nine other bikes and two racer/only).
Exceptional brakes, deceptively fast, relatively comfortable, though I get wrist issues if I cruise under 85 mph (really), beautiful to look at.
Stable at speed, bit of work on turns (though I have not tracked it), you WILL pinch your fingers and the exhaust WILL roast your nuts on an open fire! Bit heavy in stock form as well.
By comparison, my 2011 CBR 1000RR is far more comfortable and more "flickable." While the one liter Honda's engine is stronger, the 848's is more enjoyable though both have an "instant on" quality when you roll the throttle at the top edge of highway speeds.
The 2011 GSXR 750, 2009 CBR600RR also have a slight edge in comfort and "flicky' handling, but are not as rock solid. Also, 848 engine rules. And the traction control is great, especially in the wet.
As for comparison to the 900ss, I don't know. But based on the 848 I have just bought a 2005 (fully race-prepped) Supersport 1000 DS which I suspect will, ultimately, render my 2011 GSXR600 racer "useless" as the new season progresses. Yeah, I know different classes...

BTW, "extreme posture" stuff is bs. You're still a kid. I'm pushing 64!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm with you there - hence my long-term relationship with a '95 900SS.
However...these days, I'm beginning to think that maybe the electrical nursemaids might just come in handy "in case of emergency"... ;)
They do. That's why they are on jetliners and cars...

·
Registered
25 Posts
One of the best bikes out there!! I have 2008 848 and I gotta tell you it's the best bike I've ever ridden.

I've had three r6's and and Harley Davidson.

I've tried many other bikes and this bike is just the exact amount of both power and looks.
Also the price is very nice compared to the bigger engine ducati's which in my opinion is a bit over powered and priced.
The weight could be heavy for some.
And I couldn't have agreed more on the Beaty of it. Be ready to get tons of compliments.

At the end of the day, it all comes back to what kind of riding you do and how much you wanna pay.

That being said, as some have mentioned the bike is geared towards canyon twisties and track more than comfortable street riding. It's not uncomfortable but it's as comfortable as other upright body position bikes such as 848 street fighter or even the hypermoto.

My final advice, try it at a dealer next to you along with the street fighter 848.
Make up your mind based on how you felt.
Either bike you choose, it's gonna be awesome.

Btw I'm a short dude 5'6" - 160 lbs and I ride mostly aggressively in canyons.

Good luck
Omar

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
...try it at a dealer next to you along with the street fighter 848...Make up your mind based on how you felt...
Just a warning to the OP: a brief test ride of either an 848 or the upright SF848 could be misleading. The 848 has a full-on sportbike position; even with slightly less extreme clip-ons than the bigger 1198 it will be surprisingly uncomfortable to ride around town at first go. The SF848 might be strange in that unlike any other bike you've ever ridden, when you are in the saddle there's no bike to be seen in front of you, except the mirrors. Its like flying through the air glued to the nose of the plane. Weird and a bit unsettling at first.

Try to get more extended test rides. The 848's extreme position feels better and righter with saddle time, and the streetfighter becomes a barrel of laughs once you get past feeling exposed. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got bored of my 848 after about 8 months but kept it about 2 years and the triple tree mod made it feel unstable during turn in and unsettled mid corner. After having a ZX10 for 4 years I didn't feel like dumping money into another bike to make it handle the way I like. I got a Pani a few weeks ago and it is absolutely amazing in all aspects.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some great stuff here guys - thanks for the input.

Just a warning to the OP: a brief test ride of either an 848 or the upright SF848 could be misleading. The 848 has a full-on sportbike position; even with slightly less extreme clip-ons than the bigger 1198 it will be surprisingly uncomfortable to ride around town at first go. The SF848 might be strange in that unlike any other bike you've ever ridden, when you are in the saddle there's no bike to be seen in front of you, except the mirrors. Its like flying through the air glued to the nose of the plane. Weird and a bit unsettling at first.

Try to get more extended test rides. The 848's extreme position feels better and righter with saddle time, and the streetfighter becomes a barrel of laughs once you get past feeling exposed. :)
That was EXACTLY the way I felt, even just sitting on the SF in showroom - perfectly described! I think that would take a long while to get used to. VERY odd sensation.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've had mine for 4 & a half years. 61 years old @ 6' & 180 lbs. Never found it uncomfortable. Best mod done was to put an Ohlins shock on the rear. Done many mods but that was the best. From rare time to time I find I'd like a bit more power but it has plenty if you know how to use it. Takes a pretty good rider on a bigger engine to make me feel inadequate. It might be the best overall bike I've ever owned. Sometimes I think if I had to do it all over again I'd get the big engine Streetfighter. Oh yeah! I've have never figured out why all these folks want to change the triples. I understand the theory but not the need. Mine's an absolute treat to turn. Never a problem turning in, holding or changing the line, and only needs a small holding pressure when pouring it on out of a turn. So there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha! I guess you told them - :D
Good info though, thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts