Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I joined this forum because of the wealth in Ducati knowledge which I hope to tap into to avoid mistakes and possibly embrace opportunity. I’m interested in buying a bike for sale that is a 2008 S4RS fitted into a 2004 Monster 620 frame. The seller said the original frame was damaged and uninsured so he used the 620 frame to get the bike on the road again. For all intents and purposes it looks pretty good. It has been road registered and used in this format for the past two years.
The asking price is half the price of a S4RS with similar distance travelled.
Is the frame the same and interchangeable or will there be hidden problems.
Thank you for reading this far.

·
Bon Vivant
11,578 Posts
The S4RS is far more than just an engine - in fact the "S" part of that equation is all frame, wheels, and suspension. So you're are not getting anything near what a real S4RS is. If I'm not mistaken the 620 has a double swingarm and a shorter wheel base and the original S4RS has a single sided swingarm. Also, the 620 is air-cooled and the S4 is liquid-cooled. I'm not sure how he got around the radiators, hoses, catch-cans and other liquid-cooling mounting but I can imagine that it would be a lot of back-yard engineering to get it all done.
Personally I'd stay well clear of that mash-up
Send pics if you can

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
+1 on that. You’re essentially buying an engine for that money, since nothing else is right. An S4RS is in all likelihood a future collectible, and a very nice machine with Ohlins suspension and all kinds of nice little bits which would cost a fortune purchased separately. All it will ever be worth is as a spare engine for someone with an S4RS. What kind of money are you talking ? 2 years ago I bought a low mileage S4RS in nice condition with extra farkles and Termi exhaust for $5500.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
the actual frame is fairly different in little ways. the main mounting points are the same, but differences are radiator mounts, airbox mounts, cross brace in front of vertical cylinder, pillion footrest mounts, rear muffler mount. lots of little things. done right it would be indistinguishable if one was handy and capable.

all the bolt ons - suspension, etc, should transfer as far as i can think of.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
In the USA, $5500-12000 is the range I’ve seen them posted for. Usually $6500-8500. I doubt that many go higher than that, the postings seem to stay up forever. One at $8500 has been on Craigslist for over a year.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
It would help to know where you are Keskillia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm in Australia. These bikes are attracting around $12,000 - $15,000. Even the price for low km bikes from Japan are attracting similar money plus the import costs.
I asked the seller why it has not sold and he said he was originally asking $13,000 for the bike which was too much based on it being what it is.
It presents nice and I don't have the extra cash to buy the real deal. Another potential issue is there is only one black key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The price range below $8,000 here in Australia will get you a S4RS with 60,000 kilometres or a S4R with 32,000 kilometres.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
So what would it cost to have one shipped from the US ? If the price is right, I’ll ride it there for you .??

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
So, looking at the pictures it appears to have the proper S4RS goodies, or at least as far as I can see. Well, considering your location and the going price for one in your area, it just comes down to how bad you want it. Can you get belter to check it out for you ? Look, I know where your heads at, mine was in the same place ever since the S4RS came out. I had to have one. I waited as they got older , hoping to find one I could afford. Luckily for me it fell into place. I found one I could afford, and not too far away. The Good : It was in great shape and came with a Termi muffler, led integrated signals, higher bar risers, upgraded dual headlights, tail tidy, upgraded levers, volt meter, and dual voltage regulators. It had the red key and two blacks. The Bad : None of the original parts were included.
So, I understand wanting one really badly and in your shoes I might be giving it serious consideration too, especially in light of the price difference.
They are really nice bikes and I have never regretted the purchase for a second.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Your situation presents an interesting conundrum. Do you buy a bike because it is affordable or pass and not ride at all? As the prior posters have indicated you are looking to buy what we term here a "Frankenstein" bike at an affordable price. My concerns would be what the bike would be worth in the future ( BIG ?) and just how well it has been cobbled together. The potential problems could be huge and perhaps unsolvable by you and maybe a good dealership tech. Where the initial dollars are attractive I would be very concerned about the future dollars not to mention headaches. Sorry, but you did ask!

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Obviously resale is always going to be an issue, but you know that. If it were a British bike, I’d call it a “Bitsa”. You know, bitsa this and bitsa that.

Reactions: Punch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, the advice - be patient and keep my eyes peeled while I increase my bike bank so I can purchase the real deal. I’m pleased I asked because my emotions were clouding my logic.
Many thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge.
Maybe an import from USA is worth investigating. See what comes up...

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Obviously resale is always going to be an issue, but you know that. If it were a British bike, I’d call it a “Bitsa”. You know, bitsa this and bitsa that.
Unless it was a tastefully done Triton.

Personally I would not be going for it.
It is not like it is going to be an improvement or a genuine desirable special.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
So, the advice - be patient and keep my eyes peeled while I increase my bike bank so I can purchase the real deal. I’m pleased I asked because my emotions were clouding my logic.
Many thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge.
Maybe an import from USA is worth investigating. See what comes up...
If you do want to go down that route, a mate of mine has bought a few bikes from the US and whoever he uses is very good on transport and paperwork.
PM me and I will find out who he uses.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I have seen ads in the past for companies that offer this type service. The next time I can give you usable info on them I will pass it along. I believe there are a couple in Florida.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts