Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am rebuilding whole 93' Cagiva Elefant 900 (Ducati ZDM906LEC engine, 907 paso engine, Monster 900 engine) which i am preparing for my trip around the globe and i want to modernize engine in this bike. I am not really fan of carburators i definitely want injection for this bike, no doubt about it. I am doing research for last two weeks and someone says that i can swap every parts from 99-02 2V 900s engines. On the other side...someone say that cant swap parts. I am wondering what is true. I already know that crankshafts from newer models have... i thing 10mm longer shaft because newer models have different alternator cover and parts under the cover. What i exactly want is swap top and bottom end (except gearbox and crankcase) from newer 99-02 engines to my 93 crankcase. Because newer technology, sensors for injection, longer service intervals. Of course easiest way is just put whole engine to chassis but...in my country it is impossible to legal it and i am pushead to stay with the old crankcase because engine number :crying: . I take any advice.

Thank you guys.

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my humble experience with monsters: carb and injection are 2 worlds apart even injection with inox tanks and poly tanks. Let me explain: you will need fuel pump with the correct pressure or ecu won’t allow your engine to start + ecu + injectors + coils + the whole wiring, yes every wire has a particular resistance that could harm the rest if you just think a cable it’s a cable... That elephant tank it’s really nice but it’s old and a better approach could be to start with an old multistrada 1100 ds. Not from the brand but have you considered a Royal Enfield Himalayan? It’s new, it will get you to the end of the world and you won’t need to worry about stuff that could get fack in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice cmejia1978. I know what it takes to rebuild that bike for injecton. I have very special relationship with this bike. It was my first bike ever when i have nothing but bike. Now when i am older and have good job and everything i have that bike back. I was finding one like year and half until i found one. And i am electrician too. On my last Elefant i do complete new wiring by myself. When i take something im my head then nothing can stop me :D But thank you for your advice, i think that would be easier way then rebuilding some 93' Elefant. On the other side... when i do everything by myself then i can solve problems on the trip. I dont thing that injection could fail, maybe some sensor but in my opinion injections are reliabile.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't know why you want to swap the top end, you would only need the throttle bodies from an injected motor.
The potential issues I could see would be the crank angle sensor (may need to swap cover and tone ring) and getting fuel pump + regulator into the elephant tank.
There is very few sensors on this type of injection system, basically a throttle position sensor, crank angle sensor, barometric pressure sensor and engine temperature sensor.

·
Registered
355 Posts
To get the fuel pump regulator module into the elephant tank is probably going to need welding and a damaged tank from an injected bike as a donor for the pump flange.
Getting a crank sensor into the alternator cover might also require welding and some mods for the timing gear/ tone ring to fit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for advice Turbomart. I want swap topend because newer heads have bigger valves which give me some extra power after tune. I have two original gas tanks so i can experiment with fuel pump inside. But in my opinion standalone external pump will do job as well and i can easily change if pump fail. There is only one sensor which makes me worry - that Crank position sensor. I have two options. One is swap just timing gear on the alternator side from 907 ie or elefant 900 IE model. Both have 'welded pin' on the gear which catches sensor. In this case i need just one gear and drill hole inside my alternator cover (have "prepared and undrilled' casting). In this case it will work with old ducati sensors...i am afraid of reliability. Or the option two. Swap alternator cover from newer models (newer sensors,grove in gear) but...i need swap all the left side on the crank case - cover, rotor, stator, gearings and crankshaft because newer gearing require to have 10mm longer newer crankshaft. And drill little groove in the crankcase to make room for newer sensor (later models have the pickup about a 1/4" closer to the edge of the casing). In this case is better just buy donor engine and swap everything what can be swapped which is the reason why i start this topic.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like you've done a fair bit of research already. It sounds like a whole lot of effort but if you're willing I wish you the best of luck with it. Please post up pictures as you go if you go ahead, I for one will be interested. With the fuel pump, I was going to mention possibility of using a seperate swirl pot but I think it's a less elegant design but does have some advantages. If it was possible/legal it would be a whole lot easier to swap in whole motor but you gotta work around your country's rules.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Have you considered Keihin Flat Slide Carbs? I put them on my 93-94 Monster with big bore kit. They work much better than the stock carbs, better response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for response. I have broken leg now so i am just collecting informations. When i get better i will probably buy some 900s 2V from ebay and just try it. Or i will buy Gran Canyon 900 which is not much more money and i will get whole bike with same engine but injected and try swap engine parts. Ducatimike i dont really want some better response or mighty power, only what i want is lower fuel consumption and have efficient fueling. In the past i travel on my last elefant with carbs and what i can say....every higher pass or mountains was nightmare. Injection is just efective at any sea levels, cold, hot. Working perfectly at any conitions ;). That i what i want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts