Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Using the 20W halogens front and back will probably slow the flash rate, but not as bad as reducing wattage by using LEDs that do not have the additional resistor included.

Mine were fine as I did LEDs up front plus 20W at rear, therefore total wattage was LEDs (clode to zero) plus the new 20s = 20. I.e. the same as the OEM 10 + 10 = 20, so my flash rate is fine.
Wouldn't it speed it up since the 20W bulbs draw more current (have less resistance)? I couldn't find the lumen output of a 10W 5008 bulb, but these halogen's are about 250 lumens. Brighter is better in this case I believe.

This bulb is rated for 2,000 hours vs. 200 for the 5008. I'm not sure whether or not this is an issue though, since it's not on for very long anyway.

·
Excel Addict
5,128 Posts
End this thread by following recommendations?

Dirkwright is correct, it wil speed up things.

ITACUD750 - have you tried any of the solutions proferred?

If so, please post results.

If they work, say so, so that this thread can terminate with the solution.

If they don't work, post exactly what you have tried so we solve the problem to be able to post the final solution.

I am going to opt out soon, as I do not see people following advice, so it becomes a bit of a waste of time and effort for me.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I guess I just find it easier to plug a different bulb into the OEM blinker assembly than to get an LED set up. Some have said the LED lights are dimmer than the OEM ones, so they are probably much dimmer than the 20W halogen ones. As much as some cagers ignore blinkers, I still think it's a good idea to go for brightness over anything else. I just hope I don't fry something with the 20W bulbs.

A HID headlight system is on my short list of things to do as well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
In your case, the changing flash rate is odd. Are left and right the same flash rate? Normally high flash rate means a bulb has blown - do front and back both flash when they go from normal to high flash rate?
I would start by making sure all the indicator connections are good. I.e. push the crappy bullet connectors together by inserting a suitably sized screwdriver or similar to make sure they are truly connected.
This is why I'm perplexed. Both left and right flash at the same rate and both front and back flas when they go normal to high flash rate.

I will double check the connectors and I may swap out the blinker unit as well to see if that fixes the prob.

·
Excel Addict
5,128 Posts
For ITACUD750

You won't fry with 20W front and back. LEDs can be bright when looked at straight on, but if they do not have lens over them, like yours do not, then they can appear dim when viewed from an angle.

HID - read post #12 in this thread - been there, done that!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=37277

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
You won't fry with 20W front and back. LEDs can be bright when looked at straight on, but if they do not have lens over them, like yours do not, then they can appear dim when viewed from an angle.

HID - read post #12 in this thread - been there, done that!

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=37277
Thanks. A HID is "on the list". I agree that the oem headlight is worthless and dangerous at night. It's one of the reasons I don't ride at night.

·
Excel Addict
5,128 Posts
Don't want to divert the thread but ........

I am really pleased with my wiring mods. I will post full how to/DIY one day. The only advantage of stock lights here in Oz and riding at night is that we won't see our nocturnal friends (kangaroos and wombats) before we hit them - no time to even clench the cheeks!

Don't do HID - do my mod. I am going to do a plug in kit for a friend (therigger) so will do step by step pics etc. It is really simple and cheap.

Richard

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I am really pleased with my wiring mods. I will post full how to/DIY one day. The only advantage of stock lights here in Oz and riding at night is that we won't see our nocturnal friends (kangaroos and wombats) before we hit them - no time to even clench the cheeks!

Don't do HID - do my mod. I am going to do a plug in kit for a friend (therigger) so will do step by step pics etc. It is really simple and cheap.

Richard
oops, that's what I get for not reading closely... hmmm... still digesting...

·
Registered
280 Posts
follow up

This is why I'm perplexed. Both left and right flash at the same rate and both front and back flas when they go normal to high flash rate.

I will double check the connectors and I may swap out the blinker unit as well to see if that fixes the prob.
Connectors are seated nicely.

But here's a dumb question: Are the signal relays the two that are mounted up next to the battery? Or are those for something else and I'm looking in the wrong place?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I guess I just find it easier to plug a different bulb into the OEM blinker assembly than to get an LED set up. Some have said the LED lights are dimmer than the OEM ones, so they are probably much dimmer than the 20W halogen ones. As much as some cagers ignore blinkers, I still think it's a good idea to go for brightness over anything else. I just hope I don't fry something with the 20W bulbs.

A HID headlight system is on my short list of things to do as well.
The 20W halogens are installed. They are much brighter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
You need one resistor only for each assembly of 12 LEDs. The OEM indicators are 10W bulbs. Go to Tandy or similar and buy one 15 Ohm 5 Watt resistor for each complete LED assembly.

Solder the resistor onto the back of the circuit board between the red and black cables. It does not matter which way round the resistor goes as they are the same resistance either way round.

If you do not have a soldering iron, get a terminal strip like the attached image from Tandy or similar big enough to take the existing wires on the LED cicuit board. With a utility cut it so there are two terminals for each indicator/turn signal. Snip the red and black cables and wire the black and red cables back together in the two way terminal. When doing this put the resistor across the terminals between red and black. I have done a small jpg to show this.

When wiring the indicators to the bike connectors, red is positive and black is negative.

Richard
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sooooo sorry I took so long to get back on here to reveal my results.

RICHARD - YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!! :) Your above post worked like magic!!!

I bought 2: 15 Ohm 5 Watt resistors one for each of the LED boards I have (LED pic).

I used your diagram (LED and resistor pic) and my dad soldered it into place just like in your diagram.

THEY WORK PERFECTLY!!!!! And the Integrated rear-tail that I had on there already, does not have a resistor. But they all work FINE!!!!!!! I'm really happy that they work because I really was stressing over this for months.

THANKS AGAIN RICHARD!!!! :)

Attachments

101 - 112 of 112 Posts