Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

first off, these forums have saved my life with my 848 and i hope they can save my life with my motard -- so a big thanks in advance!

i picked up a 2008 hm 1100 just about two weeks ago for a steal of a deal and have been making some incremental changes. yesterday i put in my competition werkes integrated tail light and in my opinion, it looks excellent

im having a slight issue however, when soft wired (correctly), while using an indicator, the other side of the light will pulse the brake light. ive attached a video of the issue below -- so for example: when signaling left, correctly the left side of the taillight will blink with amber and running light, but on the off-flashes, the right side of the light will flash the brake light -- and the same for when signaling right except reversed.

i want to note that ive spoke directly with comp werkes and theyre super helpful but due to the age and nature of the situation they couldnt provide exactly the work around. im 99.5% sure it's not the light and that it has to do with the ol "resistor/relay" fixing.

i also want to note that when i bought this bike it didnt have the stock handguard/turn signal/mirrors in the front, and just had nothing up there at all, so im not sure how they were removed and whether that may or may not be contributing to the issue. since getting the bike ive added some bar ends/mirrors and im loving how it looks, just praying i dont have to dig into the handlebars and screw with resistors in the front to fix this issue

any help would be GREATLY appreciated .. to reiterate, i dont want to fix the hyperflashing, i just want to fix the opposite side of the light pulsing

thanks,
andy

·
Registered
100 Posts
andy, i think going with the cw light is a good start, i didn't do this and needed a complicated workaround to get mine to work with a light off ebay - had similar issues to you
if i'm right the cw light has separate positive and negative wires for each of the blinkers - this is important because on hms its the negative wire to the blinkers that is interrupted, so you can't use a common earth/negative - each must have its own wire
in case you didn't realise, there is a hidden menu on the dash where you can set the blinkers to incandescent or led
not sure but i think you need front blinkers
in the end i went with front leds, but needed to wire in incandescent bulbs for both sides to get the dash indicator to work - i have them under the seat - not ideal, but it worked
hope this helps
rory

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
andy, i think going with the cw light is a good start, i didn't do this and needed a complicated workaround to get mine to work with a light off ebay - had similar issues to you
if i'm right the cw light has separate positive and negative wires for each of the blinkers - this is important because on hms its the negative wire to the blinkers that is interrupted, so you can't use a common earth/negative - each must have its own wire
in case you didn't realise, there is a hidden menu on the dash where you can set the blinkers to incandescent or led
not sure but i think you need front blinkers
in the end i went with front leds, but needed to wire in incandescent bulbs for both sides to get the dash indicator to work - i have them under the seat - not ideal, but it worked
hope this helps
rory

hey rory, thanks for the reply — right, each blinker has a positive and negative, but so did the stock incandescent signals! also, i tried the hidden menu, and when i get to Indicator and switch it to LED, it gives me a ‘NEN’ reading, and won’t allow it to save — i fear that that comes up because there’s no front signals. ugh, yeah i’m dreading having to do that, i’ve never actually looked at the front wiring set up and am not even sure where the wiring is located — i’m assuming in the handlebars right? and the other end goes under the seat where the back is? regardless, still chipping away at it, thank you for the brain food!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Do you care if they blink a little faster than standard? If not, there's a very easy fix for this.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I had the same tail light you're using and I was able to make it work by trial and error. This diagram from Aviacompositi illustrates what I did although I omitted the resistors since I actually prefer the slightly faster, eye-catching blink rate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same tail light you're using and I was able to make it work by trial and error. This diagram from Aviacompositi illustrates what I did although I omitted the resistors since I actually prefer the slightly faster, eye-catching blink rate.
View attachment 1008717
here’s my issue, i have it wired this exact same way — it’s the only way the signaling will actually work (obviously minus the resistors) and i get the opposite side brake light pulsing

·
Registered
486 Posts
here’s my issue, i have it wired this exact same way — it’s the only way the signaling will actually work (obviously minus the resistors) and i get the opposite side brake light pulsing
Are you absolutely sure? Are you really using a Comp light or a Chinese version? It sounds like you have a shared ground for both the indicators and the taillight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you absolutely sure? Are you really using a Comp light or a Chinese version? It sounds like you have a shared ground for both the indicators and the taillight.
yep, ordered it from OEMcycle — came in original packaging and all — and hmm, each signal is wired to its own ground. i’m fearing having no front signals at all is what’s causing it? should i try maybe wiring the grounds together, could one of them be faulty?

·
Registered
Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP Corse
177 Posts
Does the 08-09 have the LED setting in the cluster menu for dealer installed LED turns?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the 08-09 have the LED setting in the cluster menu for dealer installed LED turns?
it does, i’ve accessed it twice in the Indic setting i’ve switched to LED and both times it has said NEN and doesn’t let me leave the menu without turning the key — im assuming it’s because it’s not communicating with the front signals? not sure

·
Registered
486 Posts
yep, ordered it from OEMcycle — came in original packaging and all — and hmm, each signal is wired to its own ground. i’m fearing having no front signals at all is what’s causing it? should i try maybe wiring the grounds together, could one of them be faulty?
Yes! That could very well be the reason.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i had the same issues with a common earth - computer says no
i'd try attaching some front blinkers - to the front blinker wires - this might work but it might not light the dash indicator light
a process of frustrating elimination

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had the same issues with a common earth - computer says no
i'd try attaching some front blinkers - to the front blinker wires - this might work but it might not light the dash indicator light
a process of frustrating elimination
messaged you on another thread, do you know where i can find how to replace front blinkers? i cant seem to find a how-to or an easy manual explanation anywhere...yet everyone in these forums seems to say it's so easy? what is the process?

·
Registered
100 Posts
the wires for the front blinkers on my bike are on the left side under the front of the tank - i didn't remember till looking just now, but i didn't use the front wires - you can see the empty connectors
you can just see the 2 black covered wires coming from the leds and i extended these wires back along the tank and connected them to the rear blinker wires - i think i did this because i didn't want to butcher the standard connectors - if you don't care you could just cut the standard conectors off and connect the leds to them - but if you dont want front bllinkers you could just connect leds to the rear wires and put them under the seat
good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the wires for the front blinkers on my bike are on the left side under the front of the tank - i didn't remember till looking just now, but i didn't use the front wires - you can see the empty connectors
you can just see the 2 black covered wires coming from the leds and i extended these wires back along the tank and connected them to the rear blinker wires - i think i did this because i didn't want to butcher the standard connectors - if you don't care you could just cut the standard conectors off and connect the leds to them - but if you dont want front bllinkers you could just connect leds to the rear wires and put them under the seat
good luck

View attachment 1009084
View attachment 1009086
View attachment 1009087
appreciate you my man, thank you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts