Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Integrated tail wiring problems

7K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  freezer16801 
#1 ·
I have bought two different integrated tails for my 2012 hyper evo sp 1100. The blinkers are
Barely noticeable. And there’s two wires for each blinker coming from the harness but only one for each directional wire from the taillight harness. The only way I can get it to run is if I take the extra wire and hook it up to my old blinkers and then use the second wire on the secondary blinkers and tie it in to the harness so they function too.
Unless it’s a Ground of sometime. The external blinkers have two wires so I’ve never had this problem. Was easy as pie to wire and the front are plugs with the same two wires.
If I don’t do this the blinkers are not visible in the tail. If I wire those extra wires anywhere else my whole tail lights up yellow like a hazard or something. is my tail missing something or what am I supposed to do with my extra two wires? Please help
Red Automotive lighting Font

See less See more
#2 ·

I simplified it because I don’t speak electrician. The yellow are the two coming from the tail for the turn signal. The plug is the main tail plus. The other picture are the two pairs of blinker wires coming from theharness. I have acquired two relays and a couple resisters a lot of wire and a day of rain.

#3 ·
So I have constructed one perfect relay. I will be making a copy of it tomorrow. Then I am going to test the blinker wires 2 x 2 coming from the bike and narrow down the positives. I am going to eliminate those.
then I am going to use my circuit tester to narrow down what does what for my relays.
do some more research and decide where to put my resisters to brighten it up, and maybe cool them down, and then I will regroup and post my progress.

#5 ·
Ok the relays are wired. 30 goes a power source and then I need to find which of the three left go to the harness side blinker
Negative. Now I’m searching for a wiring diagram to get farther because I still have to determine which goes to the blinker and where the other one goes lol

Attachments

#11 ·
Hi @Hyper_Nick , i was facing the same issue on my EVO. Apparently the main wire harness is different then the 1st gen. All rear lights, turn signals included from the LED unit with integrated turn signals gets the ground from the same cable. The turn signals of the EVO has 12V on both connections, meaning if you simply connect the cables from the LED unit with integrated turn signals to the EVO cable harness the turn signals will be constantly on...

I'm glad i found your solution online because I'm already taking the LED unit apart to solder the leds and make them work like they should. If that's not going to work i will definitely do it like you described. Thanks for the info!

#14 ·
from nick's wiring diagram, am i to believe that the positive lead from the bike is not used? if so i'm assuming that the negative wire from the bike is used to switch on the relay and feed positive from the battery to the yellow wires from the light - seems a bit odd, but i'll give it a shot
i followed up with the ebay supplier and they said to run a resistor between the bikes negative and positive wires and then connect the light's yellow wire to the bikes positive (and the resistor), but as others have found, this doesn't work
to frustrate me more, when i couldn't get it to work, i thought i'd fit additional stand alone blinkers, but the ones i had are sequential/flowing and they have 3 wires - couldn't get them to work either, despite following the instructions

#16 ·
thanks fastgas, unfortunately mine has only one wire from the light for each blinker - same as the one in nicks pics above
if i can't get the relays to work, i've found the competition werkes lights on the web - i assume they have 2 wires for each blinker - to attach to the 2 wires from the loom?

#19 ·
fastgas, thanks v much for the offer, but i suspect postage to australia will be a killer. while prices are great in the states, postage is usually more than the cost of the item - don't know how this is,but us international postage must be the highest in the world, so i rarely but stuff from there, much to my disappointment - i am envious whenever i see free postage to the lower 48

s4 - thanks, but thats not the problem here, (it works, but not like it should) but i've run up against this problem when trying to fit modern stuff to my old triumphs that are positive earth - bloody poms

thanks again
rory

#22 ·
bought relays and installed as per nic's diagram - no go for me, but i thought about it a bit and came up with a different approach
i used the bikes positive and negative blinker wires (2 for each side) to switch each (2) relay and connected the battery through the switched points to the yellow wire from the light - works like a dream - i can hear the relay clicking as the voltage/current opens and closes the points inside the relay
should point out here that my bike is a 2007 HM1100 - so may be different for other bikes and the light has only 1 blinker wire for each side (apparently the blinkers in the light use the negative wire for the tail/stop lights)
i didn't need to use resistors - maybe because the original front blinkers are leds, or maybe because a PO has installed resistors somewhere else - but i imagine if they are needed, they would go inline from the 87 relay terminal to the tail light
i have read elsewhere that the negative blinker wire on the bike is switched, so this may explain why just connecting the bikes positive to the light's 1 wire doesnt work - but not sure about that
wiring diagram and pic below
having a celebratory beer now
rory
Text Drawing Diagram Line Sketch
Wire Electronics Technology Electrical wiring
Text Drawing Diagram Line Sketch

#24 ·
had a bit more of a think about this issue and the comment that the negative for the binkers is 'switched'
so i checked this morning, and indeed its the voltage/current thru the negative wire that is interrupted by the blinker relay (if there is one - its not on the wiring diagram?) - not the positive which is more usual in my experience. when the blinkers are turned on the positive wire gets a steady 12v, and the negative goes on and off
this explains why when you connect the one wire from the light to the bike positive, it comes on, but doesn't blink - because the blinkers use the same negative as the brake/tail - this is a steady earth - it doesn't go on and off
i imagine something in the circuitry causes everything to light up when both positive wires are connected to the light, but thats beyond me
my solution uses the bikes blinker wires to switch the relays on and off and supply the interrupted positive voltage to the light causing it to blink - the light is then free to use the common earth
always great when the forces of good overcome the evil forces of electrics

#26 ·
bought relays and installed as per nic's diagram - no go for me, but i thought about it a bit and came up with a different approach
i used the bikes positive and negative blinker wires (2 for each side) to switch each (2) relay and connected the battery through the switched points to the yellow wire from the light - works like a dream - i can hear the relay clicking as the voltage/current opens and closes the points inside the relay
should point out here that my bike is a 2007 HM1100 - so may be different for other bikes and the light has only 1 blinker wire for each side (apparently the blinkers in the light use the negative wire for the tail/stop lights)
i didn't need to use resistors - maybe because the original front blinkers are leds, or maybe because a PO has installed resistors somewhere else - but i imagine if they are needed, they would go inline from the 87 relay terminal to the tail light
i have read elsewhere that the negative blinker wire on the bike is switched, so this may explain why just connecting the bikes positive to the light's 1 wire doesnt work - but not sure about that
wiring diagram and pic below
having a celebratory beer now
rory
View attachment 997297 View attachment 997298 View attachment 997297

hey black hyper — this might be the solvent to my issue — can you please tell me what relays you used? and where you got them from? i believe that because my integrated tail light has 2 connections, and because rear signal connections also have two connections, i should be able to rig up both relays in the same manner without going direct to my battery, right? i like how they’re screwed into the flap, just not sure which relays to get thanks

#28 ·
andylicious, no record of where i got the relays, but i think i got them from an auto parts store - just standard 4 connection 12v relays
as i said in another thread, the only reason i needed the relays was so i could provide an interrupted positive to the blinkers because the tail light uses a shared negative for the tail, brake and blinkers - i got this idea from another thread that had the same sort of tail light - but as your tail light has 2 wire for each blinker (?) i'm not sure you'll need relays
also on my bike i have nothing connected to the front blinker wires, but to make all 4 blinkers and the dash indicator work, i had to resort to putting the incandescent globes under the seat
i'll check whether the rear blinkers work with the fronts disconnected and with the incandescents disconnected when i get out to the garage a bit later
rory

#30 ·
my problem is so bizarre — one of these days i’ll try the relays, i’ve never set them up beyond plug and play before, i’ll give it a whirl ... tuesday i’m going to have the dude helping me out at Competition Werkes send me a new light, if relays don’t work. thank you for checking for me with fronts disconnected. right now the dash is working for me pretty much anyway that i have it rigged up

#33 ·
For the 1100 gen 1 (before 2010):
make sure to change the settings in your dashboard to LED. maybe this will solve your problem ->

or

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.