Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
fastgas, yes i tried that, but no help
am going out to buy relays today to see if that helps
ebay seller offered me $10 to take it to a workshop to install it - lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
bought relays and installed as per nic's diagram - no go for me, but i thought about it a bit and came up with a different approach
i used the bikes positive and negative blinker wires (2 for each side) to switch each (2) relay and connected the battery through the switched points to the yellow wire from the light - works like a dream - i can hear the relay clicking as the voltage/current opens and closes the points inside the relay
should point out here that my bike is a 2007 HM1100 - so may be different for other bikes and the light has only 1 blinker wire for each side (apparently the blinkers in the light use the negative wire for the tail/stop lights)
i didn't need to use resistors - maybe because the original front blinkers are leds, or maybe because a PO has installed resistors somewhere else - but i imagine if they are needed, they would go inline from the 87 relay terminal to the tail light
i have read elsewhere that the negative blinker wire on the bike is switched, so this may explain why just connecting the bikes positive to the light's 1 wire doesnt work - but not sure about that
wiring diagram and pic below
having a celebratory beer now
rory
IMG_2522.JPG IMG_2521.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
632 Posts
Nice to see that you had a win and followed it up by posting the solution.

·
Registered
60 Posts
had a bit more of a think about this issue and the comment that the negative for the binkers is 'switched'
so i checked this morning, and indeed its the voltage/current thru the negative wire that is interrupted by the blinker relay (if there is one - its not on the wiring diagram?) - not the positive which is more usual in my experience. when the blinkers are turned on the positive wire gets a steady 12v, and the negative goes on and off
this explains why when you connect the one wire from the light to the bike positive, it comes on, but doesn't blink - because the blinkers use the same negative as the brake/tail - this is a steady earth - it doesn't go on and off
i imagine something in the circuitry causes everything to light up when both positive wires are connected to the light, but thats beyond me
my solution uses the bikes blinker wires to switch the relays on and off and supply the interrupted positive voltage to the light causing it to blink - the light is then free to use the common earth
always great when the forces of good overcome the evil forces of electrics

·
Registered
60 Posts
i underestimated the forces of evil, went for my first ride and the front blinkers decided to act up - rear working fine, but fronts acting very odd - opposite side flickers and other side is on steady - back to the drawing board

·
Registered
15 Posts
i underestimated the forces of evil, went for my first ride and the front blinkers decided to act up - rear working fine, but fronts acting very odd - opposite side flickers and other side is on steady - back to the drawing board
bought relays and installed as per nic's diagram - no go for me, but i thought about it a bit and came up with a different approach
i used the bikes positive and negative blinker wires (2 for each side) to switch each (2) relay and connected the battery through the switched points to the yellow wire from the light - works like a dream - i can hear the relay clicking as the voltage/current opens and closes the points inside the relay
should point out here that my bike is a 2007 HM1100 - so may be different for other bikes and the light has only 1 blinker wire for each side (apparently the blinkers in the light use the negative wire for the tail/stop lights)
i didn't need to use resistors - maybe because the original front blinkers are leds, or maybe because a PO has installed resistors somewhere else - but i imagine if they are needed, they would go inline from the 87 relay terminal to the tail light
i have read elsewhere that the negative blinker wire on the bike is switched, so this may explain why just connecting the bikes positive to the light's 1 wire doesnt work - but not sure about that
wiring diagram and pic below
having a celebratory beer now
rory
View attachment 997297 View attachment 997298 View attachment 997297

hey black hyper — this might be the solvent to my issue — can you please tell me what relays you used? and where you got them from? i believe that because my integrated tail light has 2 connections, and because rear signal connections also have two connections, i should be able to rig up both relays in the same manner without going direct to my battery, right? i like how they’re screwed into the flap, just not sure which relays to get thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey black hyper — this might be the solvent to my issue — can you please tell me what relays you used? and where you got them from? i believe that because my integrated tail light has 2 connections, and because rear signal connections also have two connections, i should be able to rig up both relays in the same manner without going direct to my battery, right? i like how they’re screwed into the flap, just not sure which relays to get thanks

also, have you experimented with the rear integrated working fine while there are NO front turn signals? thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
andylicious, no record of where i got the relays, but i think i got them from an auto parts store - just standard 4 connection 12v relays
as i said in another thread, the only reason i needed the relays was so i could provide an interrupted positive to the blinkers because the tail light uses a shared negative for the tail, brake and blinkers - i got this idea from another thread that had the same sort of tail light - but as your tail light has 2 wire for each blinker (?) i'm not sure you'll need relays
also on my bike i have nothing connected to the front blinker wires, but to make all 4 blinkers and the dash indicator work, i had to resort to putting the incandescent globes under the seat
i'll check whether the rear blinkers work with the fronts disconnected and with the incandescents disconnected when i get out to the garage a bit later
rory

·
Registered
60 Posts
so, disconnected the front blinkers and rears work fine, same when i disconnected the incandescents, but in both cases the dash indicator doesn't work
not sure what this will mean for you
rory

·
Registered
15 Posts
so, disconnected the front blinkers and rears work fine, same when i disconnected the incandescents, but in both cases the dash indicator doesn't work
not sure what this will mean for you
rory
my problem is so bizarre — one of these days i’ll try the relays, i’ve never set them up beyond plug and play before, i’ll give it a whirl ... tuesday i’m going to have the dude helping me out at Competition Werkes send me a new light, if relays don’t work. thank you for checking for me with fronts disconnected. right now the dash is working for me pretty much anyway that i have it rigged up

21 - 31 of 31 Posts