Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought two different integrated tails for my 2012 hyper evo sp 1100. The blinkers are
Barely noticeable. And there’s two wires for each blinker coming from the harness but only one for each directional wire from the taillight harness. The only way I can get it to run is if I take the extra wire and hook it up to my old blinkers and then use the second wire on the secondary blinkers and tie it in to the harness so they function too.
Unless it’s a Ground of sometime. The external blinkers have two wires so I’ve never had this problem. Was easy as pie to wire and the front are plugs with the same two wires.
If I don’t do this the blinkers are not visible in the tail. If I wire those extra wires anywhere else my whole tail lights up yellow like a hazard or something. is my tail missing something or what am I supposed to do with my extra two wires? Please help
A746937E-6F01-42C1-A8CD-3A7BF4DE2BA3.png

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I simplified it because I don’t speak electrician. The yellow are the two coming from the tail for the turn signal. The plug is the main tail plus. The other picture are the two pairs of blinker wires coming from theharness. I have acquired two relays and a couple resisters a lot of wire and a day of rain.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I have constructed one perfect relay. I will be making a copy of it tomorrow. Then I am going to test the blinker wires 2 x 2 coming from the bike and narrow down the positives. I am going to eliminate those.
then I am going to use my circuit tester to narrow down what does what for my relays.
do some more research and decide where to put my resisters to brighten it up, and maybe cool them down, and then I will regroup and post my progress.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

watch me

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok the relays are wired. 30 goes a power source and then I need to find which of the three left go to the harness side blinker
Negative. Now I’m searching for a wiring diagram to get farther because I still have to determine which goes to the blinker and where the other one goes lol

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
85 went to old blinker negative from harness 87 went to a resister and then the left blinker at the tail 30 went to battery 86 went to ground. Almost done. Here goes nothing

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

im clearly some form of artist. Well here we go

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm glad I bought a competition werkes and avoided this. That said, that light looks like it just uses a common ground. It should have worked by just tapping the hot leads from the OEM signals.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad I bought a competition werkes and avoided this. That said, that light looks like it just uses a common ground. It should have worked by just tapping the hot leads from the OEM signals.
What do you mean by hot leads

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don’t get me wrong I’m glad I found a way to make it work and learn a bit about relays and wiring but if there’s an easier way...

·
Registered
1100 black EVO
2 Posts
Hi @Hyper_Nick , i was facing the same issue on my EVO. Apparently the main wire harness is different then the 1st gen. All rear lights, turn signals included from the LED unit with integrated turn signals gets the ground from the same cable. The turn signals of the EVO has 12V on both connections, meaning if you simply connect the cables from the LED unit with integrated turn signals to the EVO cable harness the turn signals will be constantly on...

I'm glad i found your solution online because I'm already taking the LED unit apart to solder the leds and make them work like they should. If that's not going to work i will definitely do it like you described. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’d love to see what you did if you post pictures it’s a nightmare

·
Registered
58 Posts
from nick's wiring diagram, am i to believe that the positive lead from the bike is not used? if so i'm assuming that the negative wire from the bike is used to switch on the relay and feed positive from the battery to the yellow wires from the light - seems a bit odd, but i'll give it a shot
i followed up with the ebay supplier and they said to run a resistor between the bikes negative and positive wires and then connect the light's yellow wire to the bikes positive (and the resistor), but as others have found, this doesn't work
to frustrate me more, when i couldn't get it to work, i thought i'd fit additional stand alone blinkers, but the ones i had are sequential/flowing and they have 3 wires - couldn't get them to work either, despite following the instructions

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks fastgas, unfortunately mine has only one wire from the light for each blinker - same as the one in nicks pics above
if i can't get the relays to work, i've found the competition werkes lights on the web - i assume they have 2 wires for each blinker - to attach to the 2 wires from the loom?

·
Registered
370 Posts
thanks fastgas, unfortunately mine has only one wire from the light for each blinker - same as the one in nicks pics above
if i can't get the relays to work, i've found the competition werkes lights on the web - i assume they have 2 wires for each blinker - to attach to the 2 wires from the loom?
Yeah, I can't really help you with the single-wire, Chinese stuff. I do have a like-new competition werkes light with 2 wires I'll make you a great deal on though.

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
626 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help or not but, some LEDs will not work if the positive and negative are the wrong way around.
It could be a manufacturing stuff up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
fastgas, thanks v much for the offer, but i suspect postage to australia will be a killer. while prices are great in the states, postage is usually more than the cost of the item - don't know how this is,but us international postage must be the highest in the world, so i rarely but stuff from there, much to my disappointment - i am envious whenever i see free postage to the lower 48

s4 - thanks, but thats not the problem here, (it works, but not like it should) but i've run up against this problem when trying to fit modern stuff to my old triumphs that are positive earth - bloody poms

thanks again
rory

·
Registered
370 Posts
fastgas, thanks v much for the offer, but i suspect postage to australia will be a killer. while prices are great in the states, postage is usually more than the cost of the item - don't know how this is,but us international postage must be the highest in the world, so i rarely but stuff from there, much to my disappointment - i am envious whenever i see free postage to the lower 48

s4 - thanks, but thats not the problem here, (it works, but not like it should) but i've run up against this problem when trying to fit modern stuff to my old triumphs that are positive earth - bloody poms

thanks again
rory
The other thing you could do, if you're feeling savvy, is to split the ground from the light or the board itself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts