Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm traveling about 4 hours this Sat. to look at an '01 m900Sie. It has about 7,500 miles on it and the owner tells me it starts and runs fine but makes a popping from the top (intake?) when you start to accelerate. It has "custom pipes" on it and he said the top of the air box has been cut away. I suspect it has a lean condition due to the modifications and probably needs a fuel controller but in my experiences the popping is usually from the exhaust on deceleration. Has anyone else run into an intake popping? Can the FI be adjusted at all without a controller? Aside from the usual Ducati check list is there anything else about the 2001 I should look for?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Hopefully by next week I'll be a more contributing member!

dave

·
Registered
945 Posts
If the fuel mixture is too lean you'll get a backfire in the intake. Aside from the intake and exhaust modifications, another possibility is that you have an air leak somewhere in the intake tract (i.e. at a plug used in removal of the emission system or throttle body cylinder head junctions.) An air leak produces a lean condition that can cause intake backfiring usually at small throttle openings. Other symptoms of an air leak include a slow return to idle or an irregular idle.
A first step is synchronizing the throttle bodies, and perform a TPS adjustment and CO% adjustment.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
If it runs fine “ other than popping from the top when you start to accelerate “ then it doesn’t run fine, does it ? Because that’s going to happen from every stop , how many times, every time you ride ?
Price negotiations should take that into account .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the fuel mixture is too lean you'll get a backfire in the intake. Aside from the intake and exhaust modifications, another possibility is that you have an air leak somewhere in the intake tract (i.e. at a plug used in removal of the emission system or throttle body cylinder head junctions.) An air leak produces a lean condition that can cause intake backfiring usually at small throttle openings. Other symptoms of an air leak include a slow return to idle or an irregular idle.
A first step is synchronizing the throttle bodies, and perform a TPS adjustment and CO% adjustment.
Thanks Strega. I’ll have a close look at the intake tract and note the idle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it runs fine “ other than popping from the top when you start to accelerate “ then it doesn’t run fine, does it ? Because that’s going to happen from every stop , how many times, every time you ride ?
Price negotiations should take that into account .
My thoughts exactly

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
Look to see if the ecu is a ducati performance or stock. Now it can be hard to tell as some are flashing stock ecu's but a ducati performance ecu should not be lean with slip on and open airbox. Get service history, when was it services and by who? Has the injection ever been set up or iis a "cafe racer" that is not intended to run?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I brought it home with me. I spoke to my local mechanic (a trusted friend) about the backfire issue. He agreed it probably needs a fuel controller but it's a problem getting one into Calif. much less finding a shop that will tune it. I think if I can find a pair of stock cans and an airbox cover, I'd be better off putting it back to stock. That's all I was looking for anyway. Still, I LUV this bike!
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
leave the cans and close the airbox lid first. The ecu can be trimmed a bit and should be acceptable with a bit of work. Nice bike.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
just assume nothing has been done right and go through everything. and that means everything single fucking thing. not the usual around here "i don't have a tool to do that so i'll ignore it and tell everyone i'm sure it's fine, and some will agree with me anyway."

or not. up to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look to see if the ecu is a ducati performance or stock. Now it can be hard to tell as some are flashing stock ecu's but a ducati performance ecu should not be lean with slip on and open airbox. Get service history, when was it services and by who? Has the injection ever been set up or iis a "cafe racer" that is not intended to run?
Discovered today I have this ECU. So, looking elsewhere
Tool accessory

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It hasn't taken this long but I've been enjoying it so much I'd forgotten to post an update. What I discovered was the horizontal cylinder spark plug was HAND TIGHT! I torqued them both to the recommendation and it runs great now!
I replaced the belts due to age and found the plugs in the belt covers missing! So, new belts, fresh oil and filter and tight spark plugs and we're rockin' and rollin'.
Thanks belter for recommending to check every fing thing!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts