Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using for intakes? i am about to do full pipes and a tune and i am ready to get rid of this super restrictive air box. i see bellisomoto stopped making their aggressive intake and instead fashioned one out of cutting the top of the airbox and sealing it off with a filter the entire width. this doesnt seem like it could possibly be the best set up? what are you guys using? Simpler the better. Kit would be ideal.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,320 Posts
What are you guys using for intakes? i am about to do full pipes and a tune and i am ready to get rid of this super restrictive air box. i see bellisomoto stopped making their aggressive intake and instead fashioned one out of cutting the top of the airbox and sealing it off with a filter the entire width. this doesnt seem like it could possibly be the best set up? what are you guys using? Simpler the better. Kit would be ideal.
What hyper model do you have?
I'd recommend putting that info in your profile to avoid answering this question frequently.

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh sorry about that. i have a 2012 ducati hypermotard evo sp 1100 . i have a termi rear im throwing on dual undertail. i am going to have my shop who will custom make my pipe fit the rear on maybe a zard header back is what seems to be the easiest set up just by looking at the shapes. then i would like to do ecu , the velocity stack i just found here :
says it fits a 2011 and down i dont think theres a difference between 2012 and 2011 so im hoping there isnt a problem? and my shop has a dyno and i got a day for tuning. open to ideas. had the bike since 4k miles 4 season ago. im bored of it. it handles and its nimble but it needs more pep. they dont seem to be making any faster motards anytime soon. i was thinking of selling it and getting a panigale v4 but if i can wake it up a bit i think i could enjoy longer and it keeps my top speed down.
but i am open to ideas and information from anybody who done any of these things to save time money or frustration.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,320 Posts
On my 1100 hyper I have this one:

On my GT1000 (same airbox as hyper) I installed a set of Corse Dynamics velocity stacks. So I have both.

I think that the MWR lid is the best bang for the buck. But the intake sound of the stacks is amazing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i get the bang for the buck thing but heres my stand point. if i dont make it fast enough i am going to end up selling it and getting something stupid. like a superduke or an h2 or something crazy. and i dont want to do that. i am not responsible enough for that. and im already into it for so much anyways when you add the time and effort. when people stop to look at it its because its done right and looks proper. i dont mind spending the 375 if it works and its better. i am just looking for someone i guess or someplace to say if you want to do it proper and make it faster do it that way lol

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm told that an air box if a superior method on a modern bike. You have 2 options from Starace. The full carbon fiber air box complete with velocity stacks or the redesign on the air box lid adding a velocity stacks to the air filter itsself but maintaining the stock air box. But, to be honest. If you aren't having fun with the bike the way it is then you should move on to a different bike. All the mods are just to optimize what the bike is already capable and that is not a 200mph bike. The addition of 20hp will not even make it a 160mph bike. They are hooligan bikes ment for wheelies and tomfoolery . Might be time to cut and run. The hyper isn't for everyone and there is no shame in that. The superduke is sweet as is the streetfighter 1098.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Modding a 1st Gen, performance exhaust and ECU = more Hyper. Light weight flywheel gets
hyper quicker. Stacks Even more Hyper with an addicting Brrraaapppp! Anything after this
is big $ for little return.
P.S. I just listed a Corse Dynamics kit in the classifieds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also opened up the stock cans and did a Leo Vince decat mid pipe. After dyno time with the tuneboy it was wicked gains

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

On my GT1000 (same airbox as hyper) I installed a set of Corse Dynamics velocity stacks. So I have both.

I think that the MWR lid is the best bang for the buck. But the intake sound of the stacks is amazing.
I don’t get how this one works. You remove the airbox and drop that in the intake hole?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah I’ve seen this one before. It’s like they cut the airbox in half and filtered the spots they don’t seal off. Can anyone confirm that this design works good with full pipes and a tune? Does it get enough air? Any idea how it sounds? Is it worth the money? You have one for sale?

Modding a 1st Gen, performance exhaust and ECU = more Hyper. Light weight flywheel gets
hyper quicker. Stacks Even more Hyper with an addicting Brrraaapppp! Anything after this
is big $ for little return.
P.S. I just listed a Corse Dynamics kit in the classifieds.
I was under the impression my 2012 evo sp 1100 came with a lightened flywheel. I’ve carbon fiber everything I can get my hands on. I’ve taken everything off of the bars blinkers hand guards etc and stack tiny mirrors on bar ends. I just got termi pipes I’m having crafted to fit once I get an intake or velocity stack and a computer I can bring it to my dyno for a day And see it’s potential. Just trying to drop as much weight between now and then and add as much cheap hp as I can. Just did new clutch discs too looking for a good brand pressure plate like billet with new springs too.

this is the part you want:
View attachment 986280
Where do I get this thing

I just ordered one based on your recommendation. Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hyper_Nick, what made you decide to go with that air box insert as opposed to the full airbox mod? In one post you asked if that air full MWR air box mod flowed enough air but then bought the one that flows substantially less air. Also, your bike may have come from the factory with a lighter flywheel than the rest of the lineup but an aftermarket lightweight flywheel makes quite a bit of difference in how responsive the bike is. Also, I'm running a full Kbike slipper clutch kit(dry clutch conversion on my 821 hyper). They are a great bargain from Black Label. You can do a complete slipper clutch, plates and basket for $500is(if I remember correctly). They also sell the lightweight flywheels. I hear horror stories about the aluminum flywheels on the street so I would stay away from them but I would definitely look into the lightest steel flywheel they have. I cut about .5 lb off of mine and the bike is very snappy(was 974g/2.146lbs now 735g/1.622lbs)It can become jerky at times but for the majority of my riding I'm very happy with the results. Also, if you are looking for weight reduction (I have not seen your 1100 or know much about it) you will want to find a single exhaust, something short...but it will be loud.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
Don’t expect a big noticeable difference from the intake mod. All it will do is give you a couple of hp on the top end. But you do need to do it to get the most out of the pipes. The flywheel you’ll notice and dropping a tooth on the front sprocket or adding 4 on the back.

Reactions: araitim

·
Registered
457 Posts
Different bike but they all need air. My ST4s came with a cut airbox lid, I rode 7000km before a friend found a complete airbox lid. After I installed the complete lid I was expecting a slight loss in power, I have seen dyno results showing 1 kW in max power change. I was pleasantly surprised to find that from 4-8000RPM I gained power and inproved throttle response. My main reason for wanting a complete lid was to shut up the harsh noise and vibration from under the tank.
When I was racing production cars I would hear of all manner of demon tweeaks, my response was the manufacturer spent a big bucket of dollars on design, yes they are making compromises that mean not everything is about max power but we would have to be super lucky to just make one little change based on a hunch and come up with a big bunch of 'free' power.
Buy the bike that suits you rather than throw a bunch of money on bad decisions.

·
Registered
457 Posts
And how much power do you really want on the street, from reading some of your threads I am glad I I don't share the road with you.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Different bike but they all need air. My ST4s came with a cut airbox lid, I rode 7000km before a friend found a complete airbox lid. After I installed the complete lid I was expecting a slight loss in power, I have seen dyno results showing 1 kW in max power change. I was pleasantly surprised to find that from 4-8000RPM I gained power and inproved throttle response. My main reason for wanting a complete lid was to shut up the harsh noise and vibration from under the tank.
When I was racing production cars I would hear of all manner of demon tweeaks, my response was the manufacturer spent a big bucket of dollars on design, yes they are making compromises that mean not everything is about max power but we would have to be super lucky to just make one little change based on a hunch and come up with a big bunch of 'free' power.
Buy the bike that suits you rather than throw a bunch of money on bad decisions.

Common Sense has no place in the Hypermoto forum

just sayin:giggle:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Ducshop made Velocity Stacks mated to KNN Filters. I'd check to see it they have any left.

t_bare

1 - 20 of 21 Posts