Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking at possibly picking up a '07 S4r. I also found a killer deal on a new '07 Honda VFR. I figure I would compare insurance to see if that would be a factor. I compared rates at Dairyland, Foremost (since they sponsor Pegram), and State Farm (expecting a discount since they have my 2 autos and home owner's.) State Farm was the highest on the Duc, but the cheapest on the Honda. Dairlyland and Foremost both were cheaper than State Farm by a long shot. They both also quoted the Honda higher than the Duc. Foremost wanted 3 times as much to insure the Honda than the Duc. They told me they have the Honda listed as high performance and the S4r is not high performance.(huh?) The foremost rep actually seemed pretty knowledgeable about bikes and told me the "high performance" thing was just the way they were listed and knew it was to my advantage. She also mentioned Foremost's commitment to Ducati thru Pegram racing.

Long story short, if I make a purchase it will be a Duc and I'll be insuring with Foremost.

·
Registered
282 Posts
So I'm looking at possibly picking up a '07 S4r. I also found a killer deal on a new '07 Honda VFR. I figure I would compare insurance to see if that would be a factor. I compared rates at Dairyland, Foremost (since they sponsor Pegram), and State Farm (expecting a discount since they have my 2 autos and home owner's.) State Farm was the highest on the Duc, but the cheapest on the Honda. Dairlyland and Foremost both were cheaper than State Farm by a long shot. They both also quoted the Honda higher than the Duc. Foremost wanted 3 times as much to insure the Honda than the Duc. They told me they have the Honda listed as high performance and the S4r is not high performance.(huh?) The foremost rep actually seemed pretty knowledgeable about bikes and told me the "high performance" thing was just the way they were listed and knew it was to my advantage. She also mentioned Foremost's commitment to Ducati thru Pegram racing.

Long story short, if I make a purchase it will be a Duc and I'll be insuring with Foremost.
The is a lot more to insurance than you think. The high performance line is completely untrue. Ducati's are cheaper because of the accident rate compared to the Honda. It is actually cheaper to insure a S4RS than a 400cc Suzuki.... because they have a 30% accident rate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm with State Farm in Canada and they insure solely based on cc - they don't insure based on categories like ss or non-ss. Anyhow, long story short, I'm paying the same on my S4rs as I would on a GSXR 1000 bc both are 1000cc engines. Crazy.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Funny - Foremost wanted nearly twice as much as what I pay with Geico.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had geico cause they were the cheapest I could find before I picked up my bikes. I went by a state farm and they lowered my bikes a HUGE amount. I am not sure what all they put into their systems but prices jumped 500-1000 with some companies.

Keep shopping around...

·
Registered
539 Posts
progressive anyone? thats what i use that stupid little lizard and his crew wont insure bikes in
MI neither will USAA

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finalized the deal on the S4R today. I'm going to call a couple of other insurance companies to compare, but so far here is what I have for full coverage (excluding medical) for a year.

state farm dairyland foremost
$431.26 $363.30 $250.00

I'll check out progressive and geico just to see what they can offer, but so far Foremost is looking pretty good. I was surprised with State Farm because their rate included a discount for having 2 cars and home owners with them. Oh well...

·
Registered
63 Posts
progressive anyone? thats what i use that stupid little lizard and his crew wont insure bikes in
MI neither will USAA
USAA does not insure any motorcycles any more, they refer you to progressive who give you a little discount for being a USAA member. Progressive wanted 1000 over the gecko and they were 1000 over State Farm. It really depends on your record, time on bike and what you ride.

There is no reason for insurance to be so much but you have to have it... so it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got quoted $199.00 for 6 months for my 2006 Ducati Monster 620 by State Farm for liability only. Haven't done liability only before... I will probably shop around before I keep this policy forever.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot about the thread. I went with Foremost. I have full coverage on the S4R-T with all deductibles low and it's only costing me $250 a year. Not too bad huh? I have a rather clean driving record, married, etc. Anyway, I'm shocked to hear the rates some people pay. I feel lucky to have gotten away with only $250 and I'm happy it's with a company that sponsors Pegram's race efforts. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use Rider Insurance out of NJ. They only cover a limited geography, but their rates on Ducs are significantly cheaper than any other company I checked. They're worth a call or visit to their website to see if they offer coverage in your state.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use USAA for my auto/home/per prop, but they actually referred me to Foremost instead of Progressive. They have the progressive affiliation, but I was lead to believe they have an affiliation with Foremost as well.

My Foremost coverage is a ton cheaper than any of the other 'big' companies. Geico and Progressive were about 5 times more for the exact same coverage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts