Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have sold my Monster so it was off to get insurance quotes for a different ride. I have found a ST4S ABS and a ST3 that I am interested in. I now pay $351.00 per year for full coverage on the S4. I was quoted $580.00 for the ST3 and $1400.00 :eek: annually for the ST4S. I find it hard to believe there could be such a price difference between the two bikes. I was wondering if anyone is paying these types of premiums to ride a ST4S or was I misquoted.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
to some extent you are paying for plastics when it comes to the slightly higher insurance rates of the ST's....but being that they aren't flat out sport bikes....based on the prices quoted....I'd be shopping around....what company provided those quotes?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been with AIG for the last few years. Was with Progressive and paid over $600.00 per year for the S4. They bumped me to over $900.00 without any traffic violations or claims. Found AIG and have been happy. I can live with the $500.00 plus for the ST3 but $1400.00 for the ST4S, WTF? $900.00 per year differance for 4 extra cc's and less than 20 hp. Sounds like a misquote to me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
my insurance quote

First, some background:

Demographics: over 40, riding on and off since I was 21. I've completed the MSF Basic and Experienced Rider Courses. No accidents, either motorcycle or auto. I've farted around with old (1976-1978) Yamaha 750 Triples since the mid 90s. Progressive has always been my insurer.

I bought a 2002 900 Sport in May of 2003. I called Progressive and was quoted $1,300 a year for insurance.

After doing some research I found a website ( http://www.motorcycleservices.com )

They quoted me $385 a year for the 900 Sport. I bought the policy immediately.

In May of 2005 I sold the Sport and bought a 2003 ST4s. I transferred the policy with no problems. The premium increased to $425 a year.

In March of 2006, I get a notice that my insurance company is no longer writing policies in Ohio. It went on to state that when my policy expires it will not be renewed.

A few weeks later I get a letter from my agent (Motorcycle Services, LLC) with a quote from another company. I look at the amount and it's $405. I say to myself, "o.k., when it gets close to the end of my current policy I'll call them and switch."

Well, I pulled out the quote and noticed that it was for the Sport, not the ST4s.

I called the agent and explained the mix up. The nice young lady on the phone said she would put together another quote and call me back. She called back about a half hour later.

Here's the number:

Are you ready?

You'd better be sitting down:

$146.00 A YEAR!!!!!!!

I 'bout shit my pants. She said she ran it twice to make sure. I verified with her that it was for a 2003 Ducati ST4s, 996cc and it was full coverage. She said that that's the bike in the quote and she went over the coverage limits with me.

Hell, that's less than I pay for liability only on the '77 Yamaha XS750 through Progressive.

So, of course I paid the full year premium and she faxed the paperwork so I can sign it and send it back to her.

While on the phone, I told her that I guess it pays to be an old fart. She said that she quoted a 25 year old on a sportbike (she didn't say which) and it was $3,500 a year.

I'm still in shock.

-Bob

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have insurance through Farmers Ins. My agent told me they only insure the ST's and all the other Duc's go through Foremost (guess that is their higher risk division). Currently I pay $160 a year for full coverage on the ST, same as my BMW. I also checked Progressive before I bought the ST and they were about $580 for both bikes. Could be worse though, I checked progressive on a BMW K1200S before I bought the Duc, it was in the high $900's just for that bike, never did check with Farmers on that one since decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the ST.

·
Registered
392 Posts
State Farm for me and my ST4s, at around $580 annually. My agent told me that as long as it's not a sport bike they base the quote on engine capacity. The ST is a touring bike under 1,000cc, and was only about $50 higher than the 790cc cruiser I last had.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Try Sentry Insurance.

I had the same problem with the my 2004 ST4s ... $1,100 a year for full coverage from Allstate. I switched to a company called Sentry Insurance.
I now only pay $400 and change. I paid for the full year when they quoted me. So I dont pay month to month. I delt with Mary Montalbano. [email protected] She was really helpfull..

·
Registered
406 Posts
My St4 runs 175.00 a year for basic state mandated coverage. 100/300/100 costs me about 100.00 more per year through Dairyland.

I'm an old dust farter and the bike is a '99. Keeps me happy!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I pay 204.00 a year for full coverage. 30 yr old male clean record. This is through Farmers. (2003 ST4S)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Anybody out there use Foremost ?

They insure all of my bikes ( see below) with the standard coverage for less than $450.00/yr.

Like many here, I had been hosed by Progressive for years.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You guys are killing me.
My 999 is $1800 (Canadian of course) per year, the ST4S is $1550. That is as good as it gets. No accidents for 25 years, a couple of tickets in the last 3 years, but that doesn't change your insurance in B.C. like it does in the U.S. If I were to have 2 at fault accidents within 10 years the 999 would be about $3500 and the ST4S would be about $3000. Since I have been accident free for so long the first is a 'freebie'.

·
Registered
160 Posts
demographics

Demographics play a huge roll in rates.

I recently moved from San Diego to Southeastern Wisconsin (don't ask). In SoCal I was paying $900/yr on a 2003 Monster 620. Here in Wisconsin I am paying $300/yr for a 2005 ST3. This is for full year coverage as I just couldn't bear to think I wouldn't ride from November to March (as most bikeriders around here only carry partial year coverage). My SoCal policy was through AAA and my Wisconsin policy is through Country Mutual. I am over 40 with a claim free driving record and no tickets.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just be glad you do not live in DC. One insurer (Geico) and they charge like wounded bulls. Over 40, clean history, 04 ST3 @ $900. Was with USAA in Va and they were great.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think my first quote on the ST4S was an error. I got a quote from http://www.motorcycleservices.com for the ST4S in the $500.00 range. Now the ST4S is back in the ball game. Decesion time, 2004 ST3 with 1500 miles or a newly serviced ST4S ABS with 6000 miles? I guess I could have worse problems!!!

L

·
0 Posts
figure this one

I have all my insurance with State Farm, house, car, truck and two bikes. My 2002 ST2 and a 2005 Kawasaki ZX10R.... I'm in my mid 50s, no tickets or accidents in a decade or more
Ducati $664 a year!
Kawasaki $590 a year!
Can you explain that?!

Leo Smith

PS
The ZX10 will chew the Duc up and spit it out in a split second, but damn I love my Duc! Wanna buy a Kaw?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The greatest insurance story ever!

I have been with AAA with my cars for ages. When I bought my Duc they said they didn't insure motorcycles(later I found out they do) so after some looking around I found GMAC insurance. First to insure was my 02' ST4S. then after about 6 months I aquired my old KLR650 and added it to my policy. The KLR has minimum coverage and made my policy eligible for a multi-bike discount. So they sent me a refund check for $14.00 when I added my KLR!!!!
Since then I added a street legal XR400R. I was concerned about it being a dirt bike conversion, but no problems and another $26.00 a year!!!
I pay a total of $285.00/year for all three bikes with full coverage on the Duc only and I am pleased. I am also 37 with no accidents or tickets(knocking on wood, loudly).
Check around prices vary dramatically depending on how the company basis they're quotes!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
2002 ST4s, clean record (no wrecks or tickets) and Geico for 3 years $440/yr full coverage. They claimed I would receive a $50 discount if I did the MSF class (for the rest of my life). Rates seem to vary alot state by state. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I pay $281 per year through Farmers on a '02 ST-4s. I am an old fart.
Ciao!
Bill

·
Registered
288 Posts
HB3 said:
I think my first quote on the ST4S was an error. I got a quote from http://www.motorcycleservices.com for the ST4S in the $500.00 range. Now the ST4S is back in the ball game. Decesion time, 2004 ST3 with 1500 miles or a newly serviced ST4S ABS with 6000 miles? I guess I could have worse problems!!!

Some will say that the ST3 is a better touring motor than ST4s. Others say that with the proper gearing, the 4s will prove to be better than the 3.

It all depends on if you want adjustable boingers. ;)

The 3 is sweet, but I have a 4s.

-Bob

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had my sights on the 2004 ST4S ABS since it was the same price as the 2004 ST3. I knew it was too good to be true, the 2004 ST4S ABS is in reality a 2003 model. I still feel that the dealership selling the ST4S ABS is wanting to see the bike off of the showroon floor. They will put on new rubber and throw in the 6000 mile service with the sale of the bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts