Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I paid $5027 for insurance last month, for a year. License expired 15 years ago approx...so I can handle it, I'm a 'new rider' to ins company. But then yesterday they (Jevco) sent me an 'adjustment' in the mail...for an additional $1600!!!

All I can say is...WTF? Even in the day with 10 years or so of riding, I only had 2 speeding tickets and they were 20Kph infractions and I've NEVER had an insurance claim...

I'm going to bed. I thought writing '777' on the side of my bike would make my insurance cheaper:D:D:D

Freakin commies.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In the states we call that "you're getting bent over"

·
Registered
463 Posts
Damn man, progressive.com FTW. Aprilia and 999R for a 32 YO rider for 1600, full coverage in Indiana, 500 Dollar deductable. Get your quote online and then call to talk to a rep about it and they will offer you a better quote. My online quote was like 1900.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the states we call that "you're getting bent over"
We call it the same thing LOL:)

Yeah, next year will hopefully be a lot easier...progressive or primmum etc. but this year was hard for me because of the 15 year hiatus and I don't drive a car and it's a superbike and a Ducati...red flags all over to every insurance company I called. Most wouldn't touch me LOL, including the motorcycle companies!

But still, $7G is a lot of money for nothing!

·
Premium Member
12,394 Posts
I thought by that price you were 17 years old !!! Have you tried State Farm? They seem to be about the cheapest . Don't get me wrong I am not reccommening any of them .They all seem to be highway robbers to me .And you got to fight them tooth and nail to get them to pay up. I went shopping this spring and they were all pretty close or way out of line... Also try Dan Avon at Elite around toronto some where he came in second

·
Premium Member
12,394 Posts
WOW......:crazy: My Geico policy is 100.00 per year :D.
I agree 100% but we can go to a hospital and If they have a bed for you we don't pay squat !!! What gives? I don't know. Depends where you live I guess.I get a headache just thinking about it..

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought by that price you were 17 years old !!! Have you tried State Farm? They seem to be about the cheapest . Don't get me wrong I am not reccommening any of them .They all seem to be highway robbers to me .And you got to fight them tooth and nail to get them to pay up. I went shopping this spring and they were all pretty close or way out of line... Also try Dan Avon at Elite around toronto some where he came in second
I wish LOL. I'm 39. State Farm won't insure me as I have no car policy with them, and that was the deal with many places I tried. Never had a car license in my life...big metal coffins to me LOL. But I did just get my G1 and maybe when I find $75,000 for insurance I'll get a Challenger Hemi:)

The deed's already done for this year, I guess, but for next year, I better get a SERIOUS reduction in premiums.

To Jevco's credit, at least they would insure me, even if it was highway robbery...

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
I agree 100% but we can go to a hospital and If they have a bed for you we don't pay squat !!! What gives? I don't know. Depends where you live I guess.I get a headache just thinking about it..
Yeah...and if you need a surgery and they feel you don't need it right away...you wait....I have several Canadian friends that have crossed the line to Michigan and had surgeries...BTW, if you can't afford insurance in the states, free care is given at your local ER.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wouldn't even get full coverage at that price. If your annual is $6627 per year now, and in Canada you ride what 5 months out of the year max? In 24 months you could buy another whole 1098.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Why insure it for a year, or do you ride it in the snow?

Even my insurance agent pointed out that if I only keep a bike on the road for 1/2 year, then I save 1/2 on my insurance (and taxes), and I certainly don't need to keep all of my bikes on the road year round, so now I just keep the Guzzis year round, and the others 6 months (the Guzzis are cheapest to insure as they only carry liability).

Tom

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why insure it for a year, or do you ride it in the snow?

Even my insurance agent pointed out that if I only keep a bike on the road for 1/2 year, then I save 1/2 on my insurance (and taxes), and I certainly don't need to keep all of my bikes on the road year round, so now I just keep the Guzzis year round, and the others 6 months (the Guzzis are cheapest to insure as they only carry liability).

Tom
I wish. I asked. Wasn't an option. I just hope next year things become a little more sane...more insurers to deal with as I'll have experience in their eyes, I hope, and I know SOME guys up here do 6 months but I wasn't able to find any who would insure me for all the above mentioned reasons.

·
Registered
263 Posts
That's just ridiculous... no way I'd pay that... I would've bought something more pedestrian like a Multistrada until the rates came down.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn't want to get anything but what I wanted, if that makes sense. It was a choice I made during a hard time in my life and I needed to do something to find some happiness and peace. A Multistrada, jap bike, anything else, just wouldn't have been worth the effort to me...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Just get minimum liability... or get the full coverage at that price and make sure u total the bike at end of the year :D

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I have liability and theft, $43 a month. And that was right out of the box, no previous experience. I'm 28. You should continue shopping. It is not like you cannot get your money back. If you cancel they have to give you whatever has not been used for the year. Keep checking, that is absurd. Do you really need full coverage? I have my medical insurance to cover me if I need it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Am I the ONLY one around here in this position...huge crazy premiums?

I almost don't want to know the answer to that LOL...

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only time I had premium quotes like that is when I was a kid and I had a ZX-7.

As a 30-something rider now, I pay less than $600 for full coverage on two bikes, the BMW and the Ducati.

Then again, I have several cars and motorcycles insured all as "recreational use" since I do not commute to work at the moment so I get multi-vehicle discounts.

Paying >50% of the value of the item just for insurance is beyond ludicrous IMO. What that tells you is due to your age/driving history/vehicle type/etc you are in the maximum risk category.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Paying >50% of the value of the item just for insurance is beyond ludicrous IMO. What that tells you is due to your age/driving history/vehicle type/etc you are in the maximum risk category.

driving history: about 10 years on...about 6 motorcycles, the last being FZ750. ZERO insurance claims, accidents, anything with the law, save 2 speeding tickets both which were 20Kpm over

vehicle type: 1098s

But I let my license expire for about 15 years, so in their eyes none of it counts. FYI, the reason for the increase I was told is because the insurance dude "only charged me a 200% premium on Ducati, when it should have been 300%".

So this is not a result of something I have done wrong - other than letting my license expire and never driving a car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think you may have been bent over. Like another poster said, ditch all the coverage except liability and enjoy the bike. I have a 2002 ST2 and Kingsway wants $805/yr (liability only). I have been riding for 30 years and have a 5-star rating.
All insurance companies are crooks!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts