Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 749S, 2006 MTS620
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I recently installed an Ohlins DU 4050 rear shock (it came from a 2004 MTS 1000) into my 2006 Multistrada 620 and all went well. It was essentially a drop-in...and also installed was the adjustable ride height rod, too. Further, the shock was fully rebuilt and the dealer installed a 100N spring to match my riding weight/average carrying load.

My question is regarding the initial setup of the shock.

This shock was an option for the larger Mutli's but I have not been able to find any documentation on it. Setting sag is not an issue but what I want to know is the initial setup of the compression and rebound adjustments? Would I start with the settings in the middle of the full range and then go from there? Or, is there a better recommendation on where to start?

Ohlins does not carry any instructions on the DU 4050 shock...so is there a very similar shock whose instructions would apply to my shock?

Thanks!

Head Tomcat

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Damping settings are for the spring as delivered, change the spring factory settings go out the window. Start by setting sag and then chassis geometry where you want it , then sag again if you changed it. At this point you start bouncing the bike and riding it to dial in dampening. Middle settings are fine to start with but you are in trial and error area. No harm and it should be fine with that spring without going after high speed internally.

I have the showa on my 1000 and am running a 11.0 spring with stock shim stack without a problem. I would start with compression as it is the easiest to set and then start dialing in your rebound. Remember that the rebound circuit has overlap so for every 4 clicks of rebound you have also effectively added one of compression so you might need to revisit compression.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts